It NEVER ends! :-(

Well Phoenix, hoping I can pick your brain here for a minute…

I fear this saga just continues on.

• we received our Tempurpedic flex supreme breeze in mid May & LOVED IT!!! but the local store delivery team dragged it apparently and put a huge black scuff area on one entire corner
  • they immediately offered to send a new one and frankly for $4,000 I accepted their offer
  • had spine surgery before the new one arrived
  • got home from surgery and still LOVED it
  • then, the replacement arrived and it was SO HORRIBLE. Nothing like the first one. The 2nd one was total mush. Very inconsistent.
  • I went to another local store to try it again in a store & the floor model was much like the first one we loved
  • I called the store and they once again sent a new one
  • our THIRD Tempurpedic flex supreme breeze is ok. But that’s it, it’s just ok. It’s definitely not $4,000 great
  • went to store again today to be sure I am not insane and sure enough it still feels like the first one we had- could have laid there all day. This one isn’t as mushy and terrible as the second but just has that very dead memory foam feel and is still nothing like our first one or the ones in the store
  • I have no idea what is going on and how 3 of the same mattress can all feel so different and can be so inconsistent. Of course Temourpedic has no idea or would never admit any mfg issues or discrepancies.

I am so frustrated! For $4,000 I am not keeping a mattress that is just ok. I’ve been reading about all of the online manufacturers that continue to grow!

I was hoping you might be able to assist me in identifying some options with a similar construction or feel to the Flex Supreme Breeze? Some that have come to my attention are Leesa, Bear, voila, etc. I did very randomly lay on a Casper while at West Elm today & it was a bit too firm and not quite cozywith that Dunlop latex on the top. The Flex Supreme Breeze literally contours just enough and you literally wind up with this sort of weightless feeling

Here’s the stats on us—

• king size mattress
  • would like to do something $1,000 or less this time
  • I want it to be reasonable quality, but honestly with my track record, if it’s <$1,000 I don’t even care if I have to replace it every year or two!!
  • I am ~190 / husband ~250lbs
  • both primarily side and back sleepers
  • do not like dense memory foam such as Tempurpedic contour line
  • do not like all latex (bouncy, but not cozy enough?) - esp mattresses that use Dunlop latex on top!
  • very much like the blend/combo feel of blending foams with qualities from both memory foam and latex or more resilient foam-- the coziness of memory foam paired with the resilience and bounce of latex type of foams - not a dead memory foam feel, but not super bouncy either
  • we like just a little contouring-- don’t want to sleep totally ON the mattress, but don’t love a lot of sinking either

As always Phoenix, I truly appreciate your time and input!!!

Hi SleeplessinDallas,

I’m sorry to hear that once again a mattress that you were very hopeful about didn’t turn out to be as good a “match” for you as you hoped for over the longer term. The only “good” news that I can see is that you have always had some attraction to the Tempurpedic brand and perhaps your experience has helped you to realize that there is certainly no “magic” in the Tempurpedic name (see my earlier reply to you in post #2 here which I have often used as a reference post in my replies about Tempurpedic to many other forum members).

There is more information about some of the reasons that a mattress may feel different at home than it does in the store in post #39 here but outside of actual differences in the mattresses the ones that are most likely would be either be differences in the break in and adjustment period, the sheets and bedding or mattress protector you are using vs the mattress in the store which would be a “bare” mattress, or any differences in temperature or humidity either in your bedroom over time or compared to the temperature and humidity in the store (memory foam is sensitive to both temperature and humidity).

Just for reference … the specs of the Tempurpedic Flex Supreme Breeze (from the Jordans webpage here which is the only site I know of that lists the specifics of their Tempurpedic mattresses) is as follows …

Quilt: Tempur Breeze Cooling Cover with PCM

Comfort Layers:
2" Tempur-ES 4.0 LB density memory foam
1" Tempur-Climate 5.3 LB memory foam

Bottom Upholstery(below comfort layers):
2.5" 1.6LB Poly foam

Support System:
17 gauge twice tempured pocket coils … Twin 840 coils, Full 1260 coils, Queen 1610 coils, King 2070 coils
Full perimeter foam encasement (foam density unknown)

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP (regardless of anyone else’s opinions of how they compare which may be different from your own) would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

Off the top of my head I also don’t know of any other manufacturer that makes a mattress that they specifically describe as being a reasonable approximation of the Tempurpedic Flex Supreme Breeze so if you are using it as your “target” or “reference point” then you would need to make comparisons with other mattresses based on some trial and error with your own careful testing of local mattresses or your own personal experience when you sleep on a mattress that you weren’t able to test before a purchase.

If you are looking at online options that you can’t test in person before a purchase then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

You could also look for mattresses that has “somewhat similar” layers and components with similar specs and similar properties and hope for the best but again it would be very unlikely that you would find another mattress with the same specs and even if you did some of the specs that they don’t list may result in a mattress that has layers and components that “appear” to be similar but have a different feel or firmness level because of the many possible differences in specific materials and components that can’t be predicted based on only knowing a few of the specs for each of the materials or components in the mattress.

I would also be very cautious about using a specific mattress as a “target” or “reference point” unless you are open to buying that specific mattress because it may not be the “best” match for you in the first place in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP compared to other mattresses that you haven’t tried yet and you could end up excluding many other mattresses that may be similar (or even quite different) but may be a better choice for you in terms of PPP. In other words … I would rate every mattress you consider against a common set of criteria based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you rather than rating them based on how similar they may be to your memory of another mattress that you tried and liked.

Phoenix