Its is time to buy

The LI Rejuvenite topper is blended Talalay Latex foam rubber, generally warrantied for 20 years… generally not inferior Latex. Perhaps the old innerspring mattress underneath it is what is failing… its comfort layer materials and/or springs. Failure here is more likely to cause your alignment symptoms. The topper may still be ok.

I agree that the 3" 28 ILD Talalay is a firm topper, especially inside a taut cover, especially under the more sensitive upper body. But it might come in handy later if you need to rethink a new kit Latex mattress.

zzz

Hi Jdavis,

While all foam materials will soften and impress to some degree … latex will do this more slowly and less than other materials. A topper will also contour to the layers below it however which is why a topper is unlikely to fix a mattress that is too soft or has developed soft spots. while it’s always possible that you have a defective topper (and Latex International seems to have more of these than other latex manufacturers over the past few years) … the odds are higher that what is under your topper is the most likely cause of your soft spots and hills and valleys. You can read more about this and some possible solutions and things to check for in post #4 here. you can also test to see if the topper is part of the issue by lying it on a flat surface like the floor and putting a straight edge or running a string across the mattress over any impressions to measure the depth of any impressions.

With neck issues there is also a strong possibility that it may be connect to your pillow and how well it is keeping your head and neck in good alignment and looking underneath the area of the actual symptom is a more likely possibility.

If the topper does turn out to be defective then you should be able to replace it under warranty.

This would be a good option if your mattress was still in very good condition and there were no soft spots or dips in the mattress itself. if your mattress has several inches of softer polyfoam in the comfort layers then the odds are good that it may not be the best candidate for a topper.

All your other options (#2 and #3) appear to be good ones depending on how well they meet the criteria of your personal value equation and how they compare when you are making final choices between them.

You can read more of my thoughts about the differences between a latex/polyfoam hybrid (and the Aloe Alexis which has two layers of latex vs one) in post #2 here and the post it links to.

Assuming it is actually the latex (which is less likely than the comfort layers of the mattress underneath it) then this would be uncommon but certainly not unheard of either and based on my experience and feedback from manufacturers over the past few years it would be more common with Talalay latex that is made by Latex International than with other latex manufacturers.

Phoenix

Sleeping… good point and now that I think about it I am amazed how quickly I assumed it was the topper. Normally I challenge variables better. Is too late now to do any checks but tomorrow I will remove topper and look to see what lies beneath! I will also move the topper over about 2 feet so part is hanging off the bed and lie on it (my normal spot). If I feel the same sag/dip in that I do when topper is in its normal place (where the center of bed feels supportive) then I will know again it is the mattress and not topper. If this is the case at the least I’ll feel good about knowing buying anew bed is the right answer!

Phoenix,

Thanks as always. I answered the part about topper versus mattress above in my reply to Sleeping so I will check tomorrow to see what is giving. Only part about the rejuvenite is I have no idea where any receipts are or where even I bought it. Was about 5 years back. I am very suspicious it MAY be the mattress although it does not have foam comfort layers, etc. It is a standard spring coil with a normal covering ( no padding, memory foam etc ). My othe rhalf had it almost 9 years ago when I met her so it could be 15 years old as far as I know!

I guess the million dollar question between the BB Aloe and the other all latex versions is this… if I were to lie down on both and the comfort layers were of similar firmness/latex type, would I feel any difference between the two? Is kind of hard to imagine the BB Aloe feeling that much different unless the difference comes 5 or 8 years down the road when the foam bottom starts to give.

If there is a noticeable difference I’ll probably go with one of the all latex products. That said the Aloe is $800 cheaper than is the Sleep EZ 13000 series. If there is little to no difference in how they feel and how they will hold up ovedr 10-15 years, the Aloe could be a bargain in comparison. That said I know often you get what you pay for!

Hi Jdavis,

A “standard” innerspring mattress will usually have several inches of polyfoam in the comfort layers and possibly some synthetic fibers although of course I don’t know the construction for certain (it could even use cotton but this would be much less common) and after that long it would normally be well past it’s useful lifetime and it would be unusual if they hadn’t softened.

You would most likely feel a difference between having one layer of latex and two yes (the upper layers contribute to “feel” more than the deeper layers) but it would depend to some degree on how deeply you sink into the mattress and on what you tend to “feel” on a mattress. This would partly be based on your body type and sleeping positions and partly on the “type” of softness/firmness you are most sensitive to (see post #15 here). The difference between two layers and an all latex mattress would be less obvious initially but it could also make a difference in how you feel in the morning because latex is much more adaptive and has more elasticity and can do a better job of contouring to your body in all your sleeping positions and maintaining firmness and support as it compresses more which helps to maintain the natural alignment of your spine. In terms of durability a mattress will tend to soften and break down from the top down so the deeper layers are not the major issue in the durability of a mattress.

Phoenix

Thx Phoenix,

I removed the topper and it was not difficult to see the old mattress indeed is shot. I learned a lot though. Having 2 frozen shoulders and wife having 1 hurt shoulder it is very unlikely we will be able to remove a ling sized mattress alone. It is upstairs and the stairs going down do a 180 degree turn in the middle. Always good to realize your limitations ahead of time!

I also noticed the box springs under the mattress are very springy and bouncy. I have to assume a firmer support system would be preferred. When walking on the existing box springs it is very bouncy and springy, almost enough to give one a sea sick feeling!

If I were going to buy a non latex throughout bed it would be the BB Aloe Alexis which of course has the 2 latex comfort layers. I am kind of hell bent on having 2 comfort layers. There may not be any research to go along with my gut feeling but my gut simply says have 2 providing a total of 6 inches of comfort on a firmer base than eithe rof the top two. Whether or not I need 6 inches of total base or 3 I guess I can think on that.

Next up will be to figure out how to dispose of this bed if I go mail order (my preference at this point). Same for the box springs if springy isn’t the right support. The 14 inch Aloe Alexis is very tempting with it having 2 comfort layers on top of the 6 inch foam. Certainly less expensive.

Just trying to determine in my own head if I had 2 identical comfort layers and made an Aloe Alexis type bed with them and subsequewntly made an EZ Sleep 13000 type bed with them, would I know the difference. Cost is over $800 difference.

Course it may be moot if I end up buying locally but the flexibility to customize just is not here. Thx again John

[quote=“Phoenix” post=21618]Hi Jdavis,

A “standard” innerspring mattress will usually have several inches of polyfoam in the comfort layers and possibly some synthetic fibers although of course I don’t know the construction for certain (it could even use cotton but this would be much less common) and after that long it would normally be well past it’s useful lifetime and it would be unusual if they hadn’t softened.

You would most likely feel a difference between having one layer of latex and two yes (the upper layers contribute to “feel” more than the deeper layers) but it would depend to some degree on how deeply you sink into the mattress and on what you tend to “feel” on a mattress. This would partly be based on your body type and sleeping positions and partly on the “type” of softness/firmness you are most sensitive to (see post #15 here). The difference between two layers and an all latex mattress would be less obvious initially but it could also make a difference in how you feel in the morning because latex is much more adaptive and has more elasticity and can do a better job of contouring to your body in all your sleeping positions and maintaining firmness and support as it compresses more which helps to maintain the natural alignment of your spine. In terms of durability a mattress will tend to soften and break down from the top down so the deeper layers are not the major issue in the durability of a mattress.

Phoenix[/quote]

Hi Jdavis37,

This would depend on the type of mattresses that was on top of it. You can read more about the types of foundation or box spring that is suitable for different types of mattresses in the foundation thread (and the two links in the second paragraph of the first post) but with an all foam mattress then a rigid non flexing foundation vs a box spring is usually the best choice unless the mattress is thinner and was designed for use with a box spring and you have specifically tested it with the mattress/box spring combination.

All the layers of a mattress affect each other and interact to different degrees (layers that are further apart have less effect on each other). The thickness of the deepest layer is only part of how it affects the mattress though and the type of material and the firmness/softness of the layer and any of it’s other characteristics (such as resiliency) also play a role in the overall feel and performance of the mattress so it’s not just a matter of the thickness of the layer. As you are mentioning the Alexis has more latex in the top layers and having a comfort and transition layer with latex would be closer to the feel and performance of an all latex mattress that had similar layers on top than a latex/polyfoam hybrid that only had a single layer of latex on top.

I think that most people would notice the difference between a bottom 6" of latex and a bottom 6" of polyfoam even with 6" of latex over it although it would also depend on the person (some people don’t really seem to notice any differences between mattresses that other people would say have a night and day difference). the difference between a bottom 3" layer of latex and a 6" polyfoam base may be less noticeable. Matching the height of a mattress is also not the most important part of matching the feel and performance and when you are using different materials then the types of materials and their other characteristics and how they interact together can play a much more important role than the height of the base layer. In most cases a latex mattress in the range of 8" - 9" would work well for most people although there are certain designs or circumstances where less or more may be preferable (see post #14 here).

Phoenix

Thx Phoenix,

I think my first reply was lost somewhere but here goes for another effort!

I did some thinking and gut feel thoughts while multi tasking on other upcoming projects, namely 2 complete gut bathroom remodels. This reminded me of our now stretching budgets!

Buying locally would be close to $2800 for a 10 inch mattress. One had a single comfort layer on top of a 6 inch latex core. The other offered 2 - 2 inch comfort layers on top of a 6 inch latex core. The former would be able to work with us in event it were too firm or soft whereas latter was no returns for any reason… Neither of these aside from free disposal of existing bedding passed my “gut” check.

That left me with exploring how to dispose of what we have given my shoulders simply do not permit heavy lifting. By the way I am 6 ft 1 and weigh 200 pounds. Wife is 5 6 and medium build (we stay weightless when talking about wife). Both are primarily side sleepers. Neither sleep on stomach.

Next up was Sleep EZ 13000 series, probably my favorite choice overall given it offers a ton of flexibility and is all latex. Total estimated out of pocket including buying new foundations was $2830. With bathroom remodels coming up, this is a bit pricey.

Sleep EZ 10000 series came in at $2450.

I had looked into mattresses.net but it seems they are primarily single comfort layer .

This leaves the BB Aloe Alexis which is a hybrid but offers 2 comfort layers of latex and a generous 120 day return privilege… Including foundations and disposal of current final price was estimated at $1979.

The local companies just do not offer much flexibility nor any technical advantage. Speep EZ 13000 series is same price as local products that are inferior with poor flexibility. I like buying local when I can but :slight_smile:

I like idea of having 2 comfort layers that are 6 inches total. The Alexis has that and as long as the 6 inch polyfoam core works it should be a great improvement over our current very worn out mattress. If we buy it an dit is horrible it gets returned. Not a huge risk. While the Sleep EZ mattresses offer some advantages I think for now keeping this under $2K is the main criteria and still having 2 comfort layers is encouraging to my gut check!

As soon as we order and receive things I’ll report back in assuming I don’t change my mind and go all in with Sleep EZ after I sleep on it! Other companies like foam sweet foam were even pricier.

Appreciate the information on this site and the direct help provided here! John

Hi Jdavis37,

It sounds to me like your logic and thinking process is sound and you are certainly taking all the different parts of your purchase (including your options before and after your purchase) into account which is what I like to see most of all :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing the insights into your decision making process as well.

While I know you haven’t actually purchased it yet so there is always the chance that things may change … no matter which direction you decide on when you actually pull the trigger I think you are making a great choice that clearly fits your circumstances and “personal value equation” very well! :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received your mattress and had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Thx Phoenix and regardless of what we buy I will post a followup. I realize things like this are very subjective as we each feel things differently. But the overall experience may (or may not) help someone else who is going through same set of challenges.

The good news if we do buy the Alexis (99% sure at this typing) is we won’t have a reference point. My other half has tried afew local beds out and probably liked the very expensive $6000 tempurpedic copy. It was also in the fanciest showroom with fancier bedding, etc… in other words she fell in love with the fit and finish of the showroom as much as anything else. She also tried out a local and what I thought was very soft mattress followed by 2 beds in Charlotte that were located in a very rustic setting ( as in like a garage). One bed had a 32 ILD comfort layer of blended talaway latex and the other had a comfort layer of 20 ish ILD. She did not seem to notice the difference. From that perspective I feel safe from the wrath of spouse but then back pain, etc issues may not arise for a bit.

If I wer enot watching my doillars I would probably buy the Sleep EZ 13000 series bed. I love the flexibility it offers (though sometimes excessive choices makes it harder to decide) and base don replies here they seem to run a top notch outfit and are still priced somewhat beneath their true competitors. But roughly $850-900 is important rihgt now and the BB Alexis may offer enough comfort/performance to satisfy the equation. The savings pays for all the fixtures for spare bathroom remodel :slight_smile: AM hoping for some relief from my stiff neck and aching back and sore shoulders! What we have now is horrible so most likely the new bed will be warmly received! John

[quote=“Phoenix” post=21666]Hi Jdavis37,

It sounds to me like your logic and thinking process is sound and you are certainly taking all the different parts of your purchase (including your options before and after your purchase) into account which is what I like to see most of all :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing the insights into your decision making process as well.

While I know you haven’t actually purchased it yet so there is always the chance that things may change … no matter which direction you decide on when you actually pull the trigger I think you are making a great choice that clearly fits your circumstances and “personal value equation” very well! :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received your mattress and had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix[/quote]

Hi Jdavis,

I think that the more information that is posted here … particularly when it includes details of the person and the specifics of the mattress … the more it can provide some useful guidance to others in terms of averages and it can also help make clear just how subjective and variable a mattress choice can be when there are exceptions. I think both of these (the averages and the exceptions) can be both valuable and helpful to others that are in similar circumstances.

Of course feedback about the service and knowledge of particular manufactures or retailers is generally more objective and is always useful as well.

I think it’s probably more common that the female half of a couple is generally more sensitive but it appears that you are fortunate and have lots of “room” to maneuver :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Ordered 14 inch Aloe Alexis this afternoon and will wait for tracking information to follow its progress. Also ordered a low profile foundation set (that hopefully won’t frustrate the crap out of me when it is time to assemble).

Buying locally would have removed this hassle but the price tag and lack of flexibility is what drove me this direction. I’ll post more when things arrive, assuming I survive the mess and my other half doesn’t inform me right away she hates it :slight_smile: It isn’t the easiest thing in the world to buy a mattress without trying it out first. Still even then 15 minutes in a showroom versus 30 or 60 days of trial isn’t that much help.

I still have the 28 ILD rejuvenite topper that I can play with if we decide the comfort level isn’t exactly as we want. Now the wait :slight_smile:

Hi Jdavis37,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up choosing and you certainly made a good quality/value choice.

With your rejuvenite topper and the two exchangeable layers in the Alexis you have lots of options to further customize the mattress if you need to.

I’m looking forward to your feedback (and of course your other half’s) when you’ve received it and had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I am now approaching night 13 on my queen BB Aloe Alexis (Firm - Level 3) Mattress. I have noticed the pain in my shoulders getting less painful day by day, lower back pain too and I’m feeling better in general as well. I honestly feel I made an excellent choice but I will also admit Latex feels very different…I would encourage you to be patient and let the relationship with your new bed blossom. It feels like I sleep a little better each passing night. I have also used the free shredded latex pillows every single night.

I mentioned the Mattress Underground and got 5% ($69.99) off my purchase - I was very happy about that too.

Please do give feedback, I want to know what others think of this mattress.

I purchased a low profile foundation for the mattress due to its 14 inch height as well as possibility I could end up using the topper (doubtful but still a possibility). When we buy a mattress for her mom’s house it won’t be as thick and said topper can travel there. But agree the flexibility is nice and right now I am feeling good about the decision. With discount foundations and cost to have old stuff hauled away we should be around $2K mark. Still a lot of money for a bed!

If the BB all latex bed had been 3 layers like SleepEZ 1000 series I probably would have considered it. SInce it was only 2 layers with 1 comfort layer I stayed with Alexis. If the poly core were to giive way it could always be replaced. Am hoping for 10+ years from this bed.

I appreciate all the feedback to this post as well as the hundreds of posts out there on this site. Certainly makes it easier to make an informed decision rather than driving around mattress stores who may or may not be selling something decent. I ended up buying site unseen versus some decent local options because of the flexibility. Spending $2600 on a mattress and you bought it you own it made me nervous. At least this way I can make swaps.

Brooklyn Bedding were very courteous and helpful on the phone. No stammering or making things up. Seemed certain of their answers. It did not take very long to conclude the sale and they did honor the 5% discount from this site which was helpful.

Now my back and neck are aching more knowing (hopefully) better support is on the way!

[quote=“Phoenix” post=22048]Hi Jdavis37,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up choosing and you certainly made a good quality/value choice.

With your rejuvenite topper and the two exchangeable layers in the Alexis you have lots of options to further customize the mattress if you need to.

I’m looking forward to your feedback (and of course your other half’s) when you’ve received it and had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix[/quote]

Sounds like you are already enjoying what I just ordered and hope you continue to do so. I went with level 6 not knowing exactly which way to go but I also have the rejuvenite 28 ILD topper I can at least temporarily use if I need to firm anything up. I know my shoulders would have issues with too much firmness as the 28 ILD was about as firm as my shoulders can stand it. The BB will be softer so time will tell!

Always good to see posts made about similar products. Makes me feel even better!

OK early impressions (means I have not yet slept on the bed!)

I bought the 14 inch Aloe Alexis in the 6 level of softness/firmness. That is a 24 ILD outer layer and 28 ILD inner comfort layer on top of the 6 inch polyfoam core. I also bought a king size set of foundations from Sleep EZ in the 5 inch low profile size. Both mattress and foundation arrived yesterday (mattress very early and foundations around 6 PM ).

The foundations installed very easily. Only trick was with the covers which I had to be very careful not to rip. Worst part of the installation was carrying them upstairs.

Getting the mattress upstairs was a chore since I had to do it on my own. Each box was about 100 pounds and somewhat awkward in size. I was able to get some help moving the old mattress and box springs out of the bedroom at least. I have to give Brooklyn Bedding high marks on the simplicity in which they packaged everything. Once new foundations were in place I rolled the polyfoam core and mattress cover (they ship in a large box, polyfoam core is a single piece and inside the matttress cover… Tear away plastic wrap (wrap is rolled around mattress in a self stick plastic) and unroll mattress cover/polyfoam. Once you break the vacuum air seal it fairly rapidly expands to full size.

Unzip the cover and lay it back. The 2 comfort layers are rolled in plastic and come apart in similar fashion. They, too, expanded fairly rapidly. They come in 4 pieces so it is possible to have a different comfort level on each sid eof the bed. A slight odor was associated with comfort layers but mostly like stale air. it faded quickly to no odor. The bed assembly from start to finish was well under an hour. Little trick in getting the zipper zipped once both comfort layers wer ein but once we figured out that trick it went fast.

Initial impression when I laid on the bed was very nice. Firmness level seems about right as best I can tell. Cotton top over mattress was very nicely done. Felt really good to have some support under me for a change and am looking forward to firt night of sleep.

Overall my initial impression is very high. If an all latex solution is better then it would be a really nice bed. This seems top notch across the board. Fast shipping, very good customer service when I ordered the mattress. Price with foundation was just under $2K and compared to buying locally this seems to be amuch better bed for the money. So far so good and is nice to know we can swap out comfort layers very easily if need be, something none of my local bedding makers offered.

I’ll report back again after I have slept a few nights on it. But thus far I am a very happy camper!

Hi Jdavis,

Thanks for the feedback and sharing your experiences … I appreciate it.

I’m looking forward to any more reports you have the time to post once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

So far so good :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I wanted to post back after having slept on the mattress for 6 nights. In short since first night both of us have slept MUCH better. I wake rarely now and often wake in same spot as I was the night before. Obviously I seem to have selected the right firmness levels for us (so far anyway) but seems old bad side effects such as snoring are reduced, tossing and turning are reduced and it seems my very stiff neck is starting to loosen up.

This is only 6 nights into this but it seems I have made the right choice. While the 13000 series of SleepEZ mattresses cried out to me (and I have no reason to believe they are not “better”), this 14 inch Aloe Alexis mattress from Brooklyn Bedding is doing great. Very nice support without being too soft or too hard ( comfort level 6). No odors, no off gassing. Just very comfortable sleeping.

The way they ship the mattress also makes setup easier. I was surprised at how fast the layers expanded. I’ll report back in after afew more weeks of sleeping on it but thus far I would highly recommend the mattress. The foundations I purchased via SleepEZ are also doing well.

Hi Jdavis37,

Thanks once again for your update.

There’s nothing quite like a good sleep on a good mattress … and it seems you hit your sweet spot :slight_smile:

Phoenix