I've found a mattress with good support and comfort, but is it worth the price?

Hi,

I have put off buying a new bed too long, and now find myself lying on the floor with a foamie until I can get a new bed. As my disability keeps me in bed most of the day and night, buying the right mattress is crucial for me, and rather urgent. I went out today to try a few out, and found one that I quite like. But I can’t find detailed specs for it anywhere, which has me concerned about the quality. And with a large price tag, I want to be sure the mattress will last a good, long time.

The mattress in question is a Nature’s Rest Summer Soleil. The retailer says the support core is 6" talalay latex, while the comfort layers are 4" talalay latex plus unspecified amounts of organic cotton and wool blend fibre. The only information I know about the density of the latex layers is that they are both “medium.”

I’ve done enough research here to know that good latex is probably worth a large investment, but how do I know if that’s what is being used? Does anyone have any direct experience with the durability/longevity of Nature’s Rest latex mattresses? Or the ability to get more detailed specs for their mattresses?

Another option I was looking at was having a modular mattress custom built for me at a nearby shop. However, I’m concerned that their modular design could actually be a downside. If it’s so easy for them to switch layers out, how well can the mattress actually be assembled? I’ve seen the name of the shop (Halstead, in Calgary, AB) mentioned with positive comments elsewhere in this forum, so perhaps there is someone who knows specifically about them and their assembly methods?

I welcome any and all advice, but please keep in mind that my disability makes driving to multiple or distant locations quite difficult.

Thank you in advance!

Hi aladrieth.

Kudos!

The mattress you describe is similar to the Nature’s Rest Firm mattress. If this is indeed the mattress you tested, I am wondering if the shop you visited is one of Nature’s Rest authorized dealers in Canada. because as far as I am aware their authorized dealers are mostly around the US east coast. Other than this, while the price is a little steep this mattress uses good/quality materials which do not raise any red flags in terms of durability. Generally, it is less important to know the density and ILD for an all-latex mattress (latex is the most durable of all types of foams especially in the firm and medium comfort options. It is best to base your decision on how it felt you in the shop in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure Relief, and Personal preferences) and then run everything by your personal value equation and what is important to you

There is nothing wrong with a modular design, it has the advantage of simply replacing one module if your sleeping needs or preferences change or if a layer wears out. You can even rotate layers to allow them to rest and extend their useful life. If there is some slight shifting of the modules over time it’s easy to slide them back in place once you notice it. The key, like with every mattress you are considering, is to find all the mattress specifications you need to know so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the mattress durability guidelines here. I have not spoken with Martin (the owner of Halstead) for quite a while now as they are not a Member of TMU but generally, they are good mattress people focusing on quality/value products and who strive to satisfy their customers.

Another option you may want to consider a DIY under the guidance of an experienced & knowledgeable retailer or manufacturer that can approximate the feel of the mattress you like (if they are familiar with it)

Hopefully, someone that has experience with either mattress will see your post and chime in with some feedback.
Phoenix

Thank you very much for your reply! I am feeling much more confident in both options thanks to your feedback. I would hate to spend a bunch of time and effort just to buy a bad mattress. At the end of the day, I can afford either one, so I’ll probably go with whichever I find better suits my needs.