I've tried every mattress out there...help!

Phoenix,

I seriously don’t know what I would do if this website didn’t exist. You’ve saved me from making some very bad purchases and provided information that I can find nowhere else. Thank you. Mattress shopping isn’t easy anymore. Additionally, discovering that I have immune reactions to unknown aspects of innerspring mattresses has made it even more difficult. I’m just so grateful for the help you’ve provided for me. I will be receiving the mattress in about three weeks. I’ll let you know what happens, as I’m hopeful my experiences will help others. I’m fortunate that I can return the mattress if it doesn’t work. However, I really want this mattress journey to end.

Thank you so much, :slight_smile:

Jewels

Hi Phoenix!

I thought it’s time to finally update things. I tried the Organic Pedic (OMI), classic mattress. It was beautifully made, not one single stitch was out of place. There was no off-gassing, rather it smelled like fresh cotton. However, it was very hard/firm. I had to put five inches of topper on the mattress to make it somewhat comfortable. Therefore, I didn’t keep the mattress.

I’m now looking at the new “Naturals” line by OMI. I was led to believe that the mattress is organic, like their other mattresses. However, upon looking into it, I’m not sure what it is. I called the company and they told me that it’s a new, natural latex. It’s formed like Dunlop and vacuum sealed like Talalay. It’s not made in their factory that is sealed and makes only organic mattresses. It’s not Oeko tex certified. It is Green Guard certified, but it’s not Green Guard Gold. Finally, it’s made in a factory that makes polyurethane mattresses. Though, I was told that they keep the OMI separate from the other mattresses. I’m concerned because during this process of looking for a mattress, I discovered that I’m chemically sensitive and get sick if I sleep on a standard polyurethane mattress. Do you know anything about this new line of mattresses by OMI? What do you think regarding the fact that the mattress isn’t Oeko tex certified and NOT organic? Also, is this really latex? I look forward to your answers. I don’t want a mattress that’s unsafe and emits chemicals that will make me sick.

Thank you!

Jewels,

It sounds like you are struggling just like I was finding the right mattress.
If you haven’t already, check out :

He has a lifetime of experience with mattresses and I believe in him.

I don’t know your location, but if you are in the northeast and within a few hours of NYC, you could check out the Charles P. Rogers Powercore Estate 9000. It is a super mattress.

Hi Jewels,

Their latex would probably be closer to Dunlop than Talalay and while I don’t know for certain … it’s possible that their latex is similar to the HT latex that comes from here and is also used by Reverie in their mattresses.

There is a lot more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” and that can help you decide on the type of materials and components you are most comfortable having in your mattress or on the certifications for harmful substances and VOC’s that may be important to you. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

When I talked with Greenguard they told me that the only certification they have that applies to mattresses is Greenguard Gold so their Greenguard certification would be Greenguard Gold.

@lilac2,

[quote]It sounds like you are struggling just like I was finding the right mattress.
If you haven’t already, check out :

He has a lifetime of experience with mattresses and I believe in him.

I don’t know your location, but if you are in the northeast and within a few hours of NYC, you could check out the Charles P. Rogers Powercore Estate 9000. It is a super mattress. [/quote]

I would be very cautious about providing this type of advice. You can see my comments about the Old Bed Guy and his website (and some of the very strange comments he makes) in this topic… There is “some” good information on his site and some information that is questionable at best and misleading, inaccurate, or deceptive at worst and I and many other knowledgeable people in the industry that are aware of or have interacted with him or that have read the information on his site certainly don’t think nearly as highly of him as you appear to.

Charles P Rogers certainly likes him though because he usually recommends their mattresses to the people that email him but that may have something to do with his daughter being the president of Charles P Rogers (which he doesn’t disclose).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’m a bit confused. I know that OMI calls this new latex “High-Density Natural latex.” What is your opinion regarding the company, Dasheng Chemical and the quality of the latex they produce? Another concern is the price. I would have to pay around $4000.00 for this new “Naturals” full-size mattress.

Thank you,
Jewels

Hi Jewels,

The latex that is used in the OMI mattresses is a high quality material and latex in general is the most durable of all the foam materials.

In addition to the durability of latex … all the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, or Greenguard Gold (see post #2 here) and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or the exchange/return options that are available to you).

While the price of a mattress is just one part of the “value” of a mattress purchase … OMI in general is certainly in a higher or often a significantly higher budget range than many other mattresses that use very similar materials (including 100% natural latex or organic latex) so I would make sure you make some very careful “value” comparisons with other latex mattresses that are available to you either online or locally based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the great information that you’ve provided. I can’t believe that I still don’t have a mattress. I have something to sleep on while I search, but I never thought the search would take me so long. Unfortunately, discovering the fact that I have chemical sensitivities has complicated my search. I will update you so hopefully someone can benefit from what I’ve gone through. My update may not be for a few months though. Thank you again. I love this site!

Thank you,

Jewels

I’m back. I don’t know why I wasn’t able to write new update. I’m still searching for a mattress. Anyway, I’ve just tried the Tempurpedic Luxe Cloud Breeze mattress. It is super comfortable and very plush. It’s the most comfortable mattress I’ve tried. It’s also hot, despite the cooling breeze cover. I don’t think it’s as bad as a Tempurpedic without the cooling cover. THE PROBLEM…I’m now very sick from sleeping on it. After the first night, my nose plugged up and my eyes watered. I thought that perhaps I had developed an allergy. However, each night I’ve gotten sicker. I’m now miserable. I’m experiencing serious dizzy spells, brain fog, feeling of being drugged and fatigue. I went to the doctor and she thought I might be having an allergic reaction. Thank goodness, I can return this mattress. I just hope the effects won’t be permanent. I wanted to let people know. I’m still searching for a comfortable, non-toxic mattress that isn’t made from latex. I think I’m out of luck.
Thank you,
Jewels

Hi Jewels,

Thanks for your update. I’m sorry that your Tempurpedic didn’t work out well for you :frowning: , but I’m also a bit surprised you chose this item, as you had stated previously that you are chemically sensitive and get sick sleeping on something with polyurethane foam, which the Tempurpedic contains, and technical memory foam is simply slow-recovery polyfoam.

Regarding your reaction to the Tempurpedic, some people (as you seem to be) are sensitive to either the odors or VOCs from memory foam, and it seems to be with most situations the people stop feeling poorly once the item is removed from their home, so hopefully that is the case for you.

I can’t remember if we discussed this previously, but if you wish to avoid all foams completely, including latex, you may wish to consider something using natural fibers. While certainly not a complete list, this post does provide some options in that direction that may be helpful to you.

Good luck!

Phoenix

I tried the Tempurpedic mattress because I have been unable to find anything that was durable and comfortable. I will say again, the Tempurpedic mattress was the most comfortable mattress I’ve tried and I highly recommend it to those who aren’t sensitive to chemicals. I’ve tried Naturepedic, OMI, Saavy Rest and found them very painful to sleep on. I do not find latex, in any variation, comfortable. I did go to one store in Illinois that manufactures their own mattresses. It’s one that you recommended. The showroom was okay, but one display mattress reeked of urine. Additionally, the workshop where the mattresses were made was filthy. They had one mattress on their work table with the glue was hanging off the coils (1/2 made). The foams were kept in unsanitary conditions and to top it off, they were eating right were they were building a mattress! I expected it to at the very least, be clean. It was a long drive and a total waste of time. I wish I could warn people, as I see they also sell on Amazon, but it’s a small family owned business and I don’t want to hurt them. I do wish you would remove them from your recommended list. Go visit their store when they aren’t expecting you and you will see what I’m talking about. Anyway, I still love this site. I’m just more careful now. I will continue my search and try to keep you updated.
Thank you,
Jewels

Hi Jewels,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your commentary, both here on the forum and in our email exchanges.

While your post refers to a visit over two years ago to a working mattress factory, and as I communicated that I don’t share your opinion of this facility (I find it to be quite modern and cleaner than most), it does provide me the opportunity to explain a bit about mattress manufacturing facilities and licensees.

Most people are not familiar with facilities that build mattresses, but they are very industrial looking places. Some are newer and more modern than others, but this is not a place where workers are handling items with gloves. Glues are used in many mattresses, and if one was present you could see where it has been applied to various spring units, foam encasements and upholstery layers of foam, especially if a mattress was in the mid-stage of production. You might also notice workers eating in a factory setting (larger ones will have separate “break areas” for this), but they are not eating while building a mattress, nor is that material making its way into a mattress. While everyone has their personal definition of “sanitary” and “disgusting”, the facility in question is better than most, and I have been to facilities that are GOTS certified that are not as modern or as well-maintained.

Even the newest mattress manufacturing plants are quite industrial, and if someone is looking for something made in a setting more akin to an electronics production line, that’s a bit unrealistic and such as expectation would unfortunately result in a bit of disappointment with most any mattress manufacturing plant visited.

I do truly appreciate your comments and allowing me to speak a bit to mattress manufacturing facilities.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix !!
Well, I’ve been trying to get contact OSO mattress. I’ve called their business number numerous times on a variety of days. I get a lovely recording that allows me to hold for about ten minutes and then finally tells me to leave a message. I’ve also messaged OSO mattress on Facebook. I’ve heard nothing from them. I had planned to order an OSO mattress, but this is a huge turn off. Oso gives consumers about 120 nights to try the mattress, but how can one return a mattress (if it doesn’t work), if you can’t message or speak with anyone? In the past, I did order an on-line bed in a box and had no problems regarding communicating with the company. I believe that OSO is a member of this site. Could you please tell me what’s going on? Are they going out of business?
Thank you,
Jewels

Hi Jewels.

I am not very sure what number you called, but I just reached out to John W. the global Vice President of sales for OSO / Reverie and alerted him of your experience and concern. OSO is still operational selling directly to consumers through their website. They recently changed their numbers as they got a new phone system and John thinks that you may have reached a number that is no longer in use or that is no longer used for customer assistance. In any case he asked for your email and someone on their team will contact you soon. You may wish to check your junk folder from time to time.

Phoenix

Hello!

I called the phone number listed on the OSO mattress site. The number listed is 1-888-888-4559. If it’s not okay to mention the number, feel free to delete this. Perhaps, you can let them know that they haven’t corrected the number on- line. I may not be the only person who has been trying to call.

Do you still believe that the materials and construction of the OSO mattress are good? I’m quite interested in the OSO. I’ve heard some good things about the mattress.

Thank you for helping me with this! I appreciate it.

Jewels

Hi Jewels,

It seems that the number you called at is correct …did you try to email them at care(at)ososleep(dot)com? Or … did you leave a message with your phone number and name as they instruct on the answering message?

OSO used to be one of the trusted members of our site. You can see some of my previous comments about their mattress in Post #2 here or by doing a forum search on OSO Sleep.

I would be curious to know if they got in touch with you.

Pheoenix

Hello!

I received an email from Reverie. I plan to make contact next week. It appears that although they did change their phone number, they still have the old number listed on their website. They don’t answer the phone number on their website. I was able to get their current phone number through a Facebook message.

I do have a concern. If I had purchased an OSO mattress from them and it didn’t work for me, I would not have been able to contact them to arrange a return and refund. I find that troubling. I’m concerned that there are others out there who are unable to contact OSO.

I’m hopeful that I will have no issues when i call the phone number I was given in a Facebook message. However, due to the difficulty I’ve experienced contacting them, I have many questions. I’ll let you know what happens.

Thank you for your help,

Jewels

Hi Jewels.

Thanks for the update,

OSO reached out to me yesterday and mentioned the phone system changes. With everyone rushing to the Las Vegas furniture Show 2018 most mattress companies are probably a bit short of staff so hopefully you’ll be able to speak with them next week.

Good luck!

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,

I finally made contact with Reverie regarding the OSO mattress. I used the Reverie phone number provided to me in a Facebook message. The number listed on the OSO website still isn’t useful, as no one answers it. The Reverie customer service representative I spoke was professional and apologized for the difficulty I experienced. He was so kind and informative that I felt confident enough to order the OSO mattress. Additionally, he gave me his personal phone number, in case I have any problems. Since I can’t test the mattress at a store, OSO offers a 101 day trial period. I’m hopeful that the OSO will provide pressure point relief and good alignment. However, if it doesn’t fit my body type, I have the option of donating it and receiving a full refund. I’m really looking forward to receiving my new OSO mattress!! I will update you and let you know how things go. I can’t wait.

Thank you,

Jewels

I think I have narrowed down my exhausting mattress search to two latex mattresses (queen size), the Sleep On Latex Pure Green and the Sleep EZ Natural Latex. Besides the $400 price difference (as of now) and the fact that Sleep EZ is more customizable (which isn’t worth an extra $400 to me), is there any additional value that the Sleep EZ has over the Sleep On Latex? I would really prefer to stay in the $1,200 budget range, but I’m willing to go up if there is extra value in durability (looking for about 7 years). I appreciate your help and I’m glad I finally found a site that doesn’t say every mattress is great just to drive sales through affiliate links.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Hello!

I wanted to get your input regarding my most recent post about the OSO mattress. It seems that someone may have accidentally posted in “my topic.” I did place an order for the OSO and I will update you to let you know how things go moving forward.

Thank you,

Jewels