I've tried every mattress out there...help!

Thank you for the information. I am going to contact the Regional Manager to see if he can provide me with the specs to the mattress I’m interested in. If he is unwilling or unable, then I won’t purchase the mattress. I’ll let you know what happens.
Thank you,
Jewels

Hi Jewels,

I’m looking forward to finding out whether they will provide you with the specs you need.

Phoenix

I finally received the specs from the Restonic mattress I am considering. I would really appreciate your advice on this.

Top: Polyester and Rayon
1.8" of 1.2 pound polyurethane foam.
.5" of 1.3 pound gel foam.
Marshall Coil
.9375" of 1.0 pound polyurethane foam.

From everything I’ve read on this site, my understand is that the density of the foams in this mattress are not high enough to create a mattress that will last more than a year or so. I look forward to your break down of this mattress and your opinion overall.

Thank you so much,
Jewels

Thank you for the additional advice. I really do appreciate it. Believe me, I am so grateful for this site and for the knowledge provided here. This is really the best site I’ve found! :cheer:

Thank you so much for the additional advice. This is the absolute best mattress site I’ve found and the knowledge provided here is amazing! :cheer:

Hi Jewels,

[quote]Top: Polyester and Rayon
.5" of 1.3 pound gel foam.
Marshall Coil
.9375" of 1.0 pound polyurethane foam.

From everything I’ve read on this site, my understand is that the density of the foams in this mattress are not high enough to create a mattress that will last more than a year or so. I look forward to your break down of this mattress and your opinion overall.[/quote]

As you can see in the guidelines here … I would agree with you that if these specs are accurate that they are all low quality/density materials (except for the marshall coil) and this mattress would be a very risky choice with significant weak links in the design. I certainly wouldn’t consider it except perhaps as a guest mattress for occasional or temporary use in a very low budget range and even then you could probably find much better quality/value choices.

Phoenix

I received the specs directly from the manufacturer, after Restonic Inc. gave me their contact information. I do believe the specs are accurate. I would like to say that the woman I contacted at Restonic Inc. was very nice, professional, and helpful. It’s unfortunate that various mattress companies are putting such poor quality foams in their mattresses. Some of the mattresses I’ve tried would’ve been great had the foam been of high quality. Instead, the mattresses collapsed (sink hole) within thirty to ninety days. Well, I guess it’s back to the drawing board for me. Thank you for your help. If this site didn’t exist, I would have been stuck with another low quality mattress at a very high price point (over $1000.00). I’ll keep you posted on what I find.
Thank you!!! :slight_smile:

Jewels

Hi Jewels,

I’m glad you had the foresight to check on the quality of the foams in the mattress because it would have been what I consider to be a very high risk choice … especially in the budget range you are looking at.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Hello!

I’m now considering a Pure Latex Bliss Vitality 3.0 Hybrid. This, as I’m sure you know, is a latex mattress. Here are the specs::

2’" Natural, ultra-plush talalay latex, ActiveFUSION climate with climate control phase change technology.
2" Natural, medium talalay latex.
7" Bonded foam/latex firm support core.

I was unable to get the weight of the latex or the latex/polyurethane support core. I’m concerned that I may sink too far into this mattress during the night, as it’s rather plush. I weigh between 140 and 150 lbs. I would really love your opinion regarding this mattress. If you have an opinion regarding whether or not I should go firmer (based on my weight or other factors), please let me know. Thank you again for everything. I can’t wait to read your analysis.

Jewels

Hi Jewels,

The PLB Vitality Hybrid has the following specs …

2" Talalay GL fast response 15 ILD
2" Blended Talalay 24 ILD
7" Bonded polyfoam/latex support core (see post #6 here).

The density of Talalay latex isn’t important to know since density is a “comfort spec” with latex … not a “quality spec”.

All of these are high quality materials and there would be no weak link in the mattress in terms of durability. Although the firmness/softness of the materials would also be a factor in durability and softer foams will be less durable than firmer foams … you are not in a weight range where this should be an issue. There is more about the variables that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for someone else to be able to predict whether any mattress would be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) by using a formula, specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Your own careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines would be the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you because only you can feel what you feel on a mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the information regarding the PLB Vitality Hybrid. I’m constantly amazed by the level of knowledge you provide. I’m going to test the mattress out tomorrow for Posture, Pressure relief and Personal preference. I was able to test the PLB Balance which felt too firm for me. I also tested the PLB Celebrate which felt wonderful, but I didn’t remain aligned on it. Hopefully, the Vitality will be the right fit. I will keep you posted as to what I find and how everything turns out.

Thank you,

Jewels

Back again! I tried the PLB Vitality mattress today, but I found that it was firmer than I thought it would be. My shoulders didn’t sink in and it felt rather hard. I then tried the PLB Beautiful which had a more plush feel. My hips sank in a bit more than my shoulders. I’m concerned that my shoulders aren’t getting the sink they need. Interesting note: I had read complaints that some of the PLB mattresses squeak and this one did. The salesman noted that it wasn’t the box springs, rather it really was the mattress making the squeaking noise. I wondered if that could be because the latex layers are glued together…don’t know. I am posting the specs ( I don’t know the ILD:

3" Natural, medium-plush talalay latex (with the ActiveFusion).
3" Natural, medium talalay latex.
6" Natural, firm talalay latex support core.

I’m concerned that this may not be plush enough for my shoulders and head. Also, concerned that my mid-section will sink much lower during the night, causing an alignment issue. I would appreciate your opinion on this mattress. I’m trying to be very careful as I can’t return this mattress and it’s above my price point. I do have fibromyalgia, so a comfortable mattress is crucial. Again, thank you so much.

Jewels

Hi Jewels,

That’s not a “story” that I’ve heard before but I certainly wouldn’t “buy” it :). Latex doesn’t make “noise”.

[quote] I am posting the specs ( I don’t know the ILD:

3" Natural, medium-plush talalay latex (with the ActiveFusion).
3" Natural, medium talalay latex.
6" Natural, firm talalay latex support core.[/quote]

You can see the specs (including the ILD’s) of the Beautiful in post #2 here.

I can’t feel what you feel or see you on the mattress so you would need to trust your own careful and objective testing and “best judgement” which will tell you much more about whether a mattress is a good match for you than any comments I could make.

If you’ve done some careful testing and still aren’t confident that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP then the return or exchange policy would also become a more important part of your personal value equation just in case your actual sleeping experience indicates that the mattress wasn’t as good a match for you as you hoped for so you would still have the option to return or exchange it.

In terms of quality and durability … there are certainly no weak links in a mattress that uses blended Talalay in all the layers.

Phoenix

Hello!

Unfortunately, the store only allows for an exchange and I didn’t find any other mattresses there that I was impressed with. I will talk to the owner to see if he would consider a refund, but it seems doubtful.
Overall, I’m impressed with the mattress and the materials used in it. My concern, that you may be able to address, is: given the ILD of the latex and my weight (140-150) would I be likely to sink significantly in the hip area during the night? I will keep you posted.

Thank you,

Jewels

Hi Jewels,

I can’t feel what you feel or see you on the mattress so these are questions I can’t answer and your own careful and objective testing will be a much more reliable way to answer this than any suggestions I can make (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The layering of the Beautiful is fairly soft and for heavier people this can sometimes be risky (depending on their weight distribution and sleeping positions) but for lighter weights the risk is much less and there are many people in your weight range that are very happy with the Beautiful.

Again though … your own careful and objective testing is the most reliable way to know because there are too many variables, unknowns, and personal preferences and sensitivities involved to use a formula based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” to assess whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP.

Phoenix

Hello,

I’m considering one more mattress before I purchase the PLB Beautiful Mattress. This one is a double-sided Restonic. I am including the specs that I received from the manufacturer. I would love your opinion, as always. Here we go:

2" Quilt top.
1’ 1.55 pound polyurethane foam.
1" 1.55 pound polyurethane foam.
1/2" 1.50 pound polyurethane foam.
1/2" 1.50 pound polyurethane foam.
Marshall Coil with 2~ 6 gauge border rods.

The mattress is very comfortable, but I’m not sure the foam would hold up over time. Phoenix, you’ve been a real life-saver for me. I know, that without the information you’ve provided, I would have likely purchased another low quality mattress.

Thank you,

Jewels

Hi Jewels,

If this is all the layers in this mattress then it would be just “on the edge” of the guidelines here for a two sided mattress but I would also want to know specifics of the materials in the 2" quilt top because depending on the quality of the materials it may put it “over the edge” in terms of durability. It has fairly thick layers of polyfoam that are “on the edge” in terms of density on each side of the mattress. Even though the mattress is two sided which would improve durability (see post #3 here) the materials certainly aren’t in the same quality range as the latex in the Beautiful.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’m leaning towards the PLB Beautiful and will likely purchase it next week. I am concerned about the glues used in the mattress. I understand that they are supposed to be safe for most people. However, I have a chronic illness and noticed that when I tried mattresses with a lot of glue or memory foam in them, me health deteriorated. Interestingly, on the Sleep Number, my health has improved significantly (though the mattress hurts my back). Seriously, to levels of improvement that I never thought I’d reach again. I thought this might be a coincidence, so I spent a few nights on a new innerspring mattress, and I got sick again. I won’t go into the details. I would really appreciate your opinion regarding the PLB Beautiful and the Sleep Number regarding which has more glue and the type of fire retardant used. I’m not asking for medical advice, just advice on the amount of chemicals used in each mattress.

Thank you,

Jewels :slight_smile:

Hi Jewels,

There is more here about the glue that is used in the PLB mattresses (latex (water) based vs solvent based) and there is more here about the fire barrier they use here (rayon/silica which I would consider “safe”).

If any type of glue at all (even water based non solvent glues) are a significant concern for you then there are also component latex mattresses available that don’t use any glue at all (many of these are available from the list of members here that sell latex mattresses online).

There is also more information about fire retardants that I would consider to be “safe” in this article and in post #2 here and post #4 here but of course each person may have unique circumstances or health issues or individual concerns that are unique to them so what is safe for the large majority of people may not be “safe enough” for them.

There is also more information in post #2 here and post #2 here and more detailed information yet in post #2 here and the many other posts and sources of information that they link to that will help you differentiate between organic, natural, chemical free, safe, and green materials (all of which have different meanings) and can help each person answer the question “how safe is safe enough for me?” regardless of whether someone else would be comfortable with using the same materials in their mattress.

There is really no way to answer a question about the specific amount of chemicals used in any specific mattress because this type of information isn’t available and it would also depend on which specific chemicals someone was concerned with because even water is a “chemical”. The polyfoam used in the Sleep Number mattresses for example is made from petrochemicals and while most people are fine with polyfoam … particularly if it’s made in the US or is CertiPur certified … some people are more sensitive or more concerned than others about the chemicals that are used to make polyfoam. The air bladders are also a synthetic material that are made from petrochemicals.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the information. I just love this site as it’s so helpful. I’ll let you know which mattress I end up with and if there are any health related reactions.

Thank you,

Jewels