I've tried every mattress out there...help!

Hi Jewels,

There is more here about the glue that is used in the PLB mattresses (latex (water) based vs solvent based) and there is more here about the fire barrier they use here (rayon/silica which I would consider “safe”).

If any type of glue at all (even water based non solvent glues) are a significant concern for you then there are also component latex mattresses available that don’t use any glue at all (many of these are available from the list of members here that sell latex mattresses online).

There is also more information about fire retardants that I would consider to be “safe” in this article and in post #2 here and post #4 here but of course each person may have unique circumstances or health issues or individual concerns that are unique to them so what is safe for the large majority of people may not be “safe enough” for them.

There is also more information in post #2 here and post #2 here and more detailed information yet in post #2 here and the many other posts and sources of information that they link to that will help you differentiate between organic, natural, chemical free, safe, and green materials (all of which have different meanings) and can help each person answer the question “how safe is safe enough for me?” regardless of whether someone else would be comfortable with using the same materials in their mattress.

There is really no way to answer a question about the specific amount of chemicals used in any specific mattress because this type of information isn’t available and it would also depend on which specific chemicals someone was concerned with because even water is a “chemical”. The polyfoam used in the Sleep Number mattresses for example is made from petrochemicals and while most people are fine with polyfoam … particularly if it’s made in the US or is CertiPur certified … some people are more sensitive or more concerned than others about the chemicals that are used to make polyfoam. The air bladders are also a synthetic material that are made from petrochemicals.

Phoenix