Jamestown Mattress Majestic Dream quandry

About a year ago I decided that it might be time to replace my 10-year old Serta coil mattress because I was waking up with achy pressure points, particularly in the shoulder area, and was having some neck issues. (I am a 5’10", 140 lb. female.) But after some shopping I gave up - too many choices, too confusing! I started again a month or so ago and decided on a Jamestown Mattress Majestic Dream. I got the 3" medium (75) Dunlop latex comfort layer. (The 55 was cozy in the store but I tend to like a mattress on the firmer side.) But right away I started waking up with an aching back, which I never had before! I was also sleeping very very hot! (Comfie on the shoulders though…) So I am now testing the 3" 85 layer, thinking the 75 was too soft. After a few nights on that however, my back is still achy in the morning. Now I’m not sure what to do!!! I have a 95 layer also (they are very accommodating at Jamestown!) but haven’t tried that yet. Seems on the extreme super firm side. I’m wondering if latex is just not the right fit for me. Any suggestions?!

Hi knit1hike2,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The specifications I have for the Majestic Dream Eurotop is:
Quilted Panel:

1. 2" Plush Polyurethane Foam – 1.8 lb. density – 21 ILD
    Comfort Padding Layer:
  2. Thick Polyester Fiber Pad – 1.8 oz per sq ft polyester fiber pad – 1" thick
  3. 1" Plush Polyurethane Foam – 1.5 lb. density – 15 ILD
  4. 2" 100% Natural Latex – Dunlop – 100% natural latex
    Foam encased pocketed spring unit

There is some information about the many different symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most common causes behind them in post #2 here that may be helpful, but the most common reason for lower back pain is a mattress that has upper layers that are too thick/soft or a support core that is too soft. In this case, it could be that the amount of plush polyfoam or the density of the latex is too soft for your preference, or the polyfoam in the quilt is fine (your shoulder are comfortable) but the latex in the deeper layers is letting you sink in too much.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. All foams are insulators to a certain degree, and it could also be that if this mattress is more plush than what you are used to that you could be sinking in a hit more, insulating yourself more that you are used to and also exposing less of your surface area to heat exchange. This could also dovetail with your comments about low back pain if the product was too soft on top.

So is Jamestown remaking your mattress each time, replacing the latex layer in the middle comfort layer? You’re not simply placing the extra latex layer on top of your existing mattress, correct? It could be that at your size that 3" of plush polyfoam in the uppermost layers is near your limit, and that you will desire a firmer latex layer (perhaps the D95) in the deeper comfort layer, but I wouldn’t have any way of knowing that for sure except for feedback based upon your own personal testing. Regarding your change to the D85, I would give it more than a few days for your body to adjust if that is possible. It is nice that Jamestown is being so accommodating. I do think highly of them and the advice they provide, and in situations like this I would tend to rely upon their expertise and suggestions, as no one will have as much experience with their products or people of different sleeping styles or somatotypes as they will. The latex in the mattress you’re choosing is located deeper within the product and all of the layers work together, so changes made in these deeper layers won’t be as readily felt as ones made in the upper quilt layers of the mattress closest to your body, so it may be that a more dramatic change from D75 to D95 in the deeper comfort layer will be beneficial.

Via an online forum, that’s about the best “theory at a distance” that I can provide. I’ll be interested in learning of your results.

Phoenix

Thanks very much for your feedback Phoenix. I am a bit confused about the layering description you provided on the Majestic Beauty though. The 3" latex comfort layer is actually directly underneath the quilted layer, which is only about 1 - 2" thick. (It is hard to measure it exactly due to the sewing/quilting.) In any case, the latex is very close to the top of the mattress, not what I would consider to be a deep layer. So it must be that the other foam layers you listed are underneath the latex? With three inches of latex almost directly beneath you, would you feel the benefit of the support that the pocketed coils are supposed to provide? (And to address your question about experimenting with the various densities of latex, the latex is in a zippered encasement so it is easy to pull one pad out and replace it with another.) I think you are absolutely right about the heat issue. I was sinking more with the 75.

So, we will see how the next few nights go on the 85. If there is no improvement then I will give Jamestown a call and see what my other options are… This is hard work! :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Hi knit1hike2,

I provided information on the layering of the Majestic Dream Europtop, as in your original post you mentioned that you had purchased the Majestic Dream. You never mentioned an item called Beauty. If your mattress is different, then you’d have to provide the specifications of that exact bed, as all I have available are the specifications on the Jamestown site. I don’t see anything on there called a Beauty and am unfamiliar with that.

No, the layers I listed are correct for the model I described. If you have a different mattress, or if the specifications/layers have changed, then you can provide those here if you like. While you may not consider the layers “deep” (I referred to it as a deeper comfort layer), if beneath the upper quilt panel the changes in feel will be less dramatic.

Deep support and surface comfort are two different things. There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful as well.

Good luck with your testing!

Phoenix

My apologies! I misspoke. It is a Majestic Dream, not Beauty. I’m not sure how I came up with that! Thanks again for your feedback.

Hi knit1hike2,

No worries!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix. So I have tested the various latex densities on my new mattress and I am still waking up with a backache. I can actually feel my muscles wanting to contract/tense up during the night while I am laying on my back. (One night I actually slept on an old mattress with a divot in it and my back was fine. Not so great on the shoulders though!) In an earlier post you mentioned that maybe the quilt top layer was too plush for me (3"). Do you think it’s possible that regardless of the firmness of the deep comfort layer, that the quilt top could still be causing the problem? I am at a point where I have to make a change and am wondering if a traditional innerspring mattress with less padding on top would be a better option. (Although I suspect that my shoulders will not be happy!) Jamestown has another mattress line called “Dynasty” that might fit this bill. What do you think? Thank you!!!

Hi knit1hike2,

Unfortunately, I’m unable to diagnose via an online forum the cause of your back issue or why it is reacting the way that it is. Because each person is different in terms of their physiology, weight distribution, and body shape as well as the positions they sleep in, their individual preferences, and the specifics of any back issues they may experience, there is no such thing as a mattress that is “better for backs” in general because a mattress that is good for one person’s back (or back issues) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on … even if their body type, sleeping positions, or back issues appear to be fairly similar. There is only a mattress that keeps you in good alignment which would be best for YOUR back.

In general … what you would be looking for is a mattress with firm enough deep support and then comfort layers that are “just enough” in terms of thickness and softness to “fill in” and support the more recessed parts of your sleeping profile and relieve pressure in your most pressure prone sleeping position (usually side sleeping for those who sleep in this position) so that there is less risk to alignment in your other sleeping positions.

While you have tried different firmness of the deeper transition layers of your mattress (albeit not too much time with the firmest layers), it could be that your upper comfort layers are too soft/thick and allowing you to sink in too deeply – that certainly is a common cause of low back issues.

You also comment that when you slept on a mattress that had a divot in it your back felt better, which could point to you having a poor learned alignment or poorer flexibility, and that when presented with a mattress having better support your body still isn’t reacting so well.

Most commonly, what you’re describing is due to the product being too soft on top, which is your assumption here, so you may wish to bring this up to the people at Jamestown and see what their thoughts are as well. Switching to something that is a little more “firm” on top doesn’t mean that the product has to feel quite hard – it simply could be something using less overall polyfoam, or using polyfoam that is a bit firmer (higher ILD).

If you do make the switch to something a bit firmer on top it will be interesting to learn of your reaction.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for your feedback Phoenix! I really appreciate it! I will let you know how things work out.

Hi knit1hike2,

That sounds great.

Phoenix