Jamestown

Hi Phoenix

I went to Jamestown Mattress in Rochester. They have a nice selection. I liked the feel of a Euro Top with what I believe has a offset coil system. It supports well without beating me up (I am about 230). I like the springy feel and think maybe offset coils are underrated when compared to the individual coils like Simmons. Of course the poly foam top will get impressions so that is a concernā€¦ They make this in a firm and plush version so considering adding a topper if I purchase a firm. Too bad they donā€™t use anything long lasting in the top as I believe the poly would get impressions rather fast?

Hi stack,

While I think highly of Jamestown Mattress and the quality/value of the mattresses they make compared to most other manufacturers, I would want to know the specifics of the materials inside any mattress I purchased (see this article) to make sure that there are no potential weak links in the mattress relative to your weight and to be able to make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

This would depend entirely on the quality/density of the polyfoam because polyfoam comes in a very wide range of grades that range from lower density and less durable versions to higher density and very durable versions. If you can find out the specifics of the mattress you are considering and list them on the forum Iā€™d be happy to make some comments about the quality/durability of the materials inside it.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix:

The mattress (Dynasty) starts with a 1.5lb layer on the top and 1.8 lb beneath. The sales person said there will be some impressions eventually but the foams are in the higher compression ranges too. The coil system seemed very supportive. They also have a version with a 4lb and 3lb memory foam. They have some really nice latex mattresses too where they use a Dunlop core that is 5" (I believe) and surprisingly only about a 24ild.

Quilt - Top of Mattress
PaladinĀ® Fire Retardant Barrier
1 Ā½" Plush Polyurethane Foam
Stretch Circular Knit Fabric

Comfort - Padding Layer
Thick Polyester Pad
Ā¾" Firm Convoluted Polyurethane Foam
2" Firm Polyurethane Foam in the Euro Top
http://www.jamestownmattress.com/super-firm-euro-top-one-sided-dynasty-mattress/

Hi stack,

If you could add the foam densities for each layer (see this article) Iā€™d certainly be happy to make some comments about the materials in the mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

This looks like a perfect place to hijack this threadā€¦
I was looking at this mattress (Dynasty) and others this weekend. This is a double sided mattress that is considered firm. The plush version is exactly the same except the quilt layer has less stitching.
The comfort layer has 2 inches 1.8# polyfoam
The coil unit is a Symetrics 660 coil unit with offset technology with 805 units for a queen 14.5 gauge
The quilting has polyfoam but the way it is stitched in it is very compressed, definitely a lower quality than the comfort layer. I dont think the was a # rating for this as it was very light and less than an inch thick when stitched.

It looked good to me based on this websiteā€™s criteria.

Hi Zoftra,

[quote]The comfort layer has 2 inches 1.8# polyfoam
The coil unit is a Symetrics 660 coil unit with offset technology with 805 units for a queen 14.5 gauge
The quilting has polyfoam but the way it is stitched in it is very compressed, definitely a lower quality than the comfort layer. I dont think the was a # rating for this as it was very light and less than an inch thick when stitched.[/quote]

While I wouldnā€™t be concerned with the density of a 1.5" quilting layer because as you mentioned the quilting will compress the foam which adds to the durability of the layer ā€¦ assuming that the layers below the quilting are 1.5 lb for the .75" layer and 1.8 lb for the 2" layer below that it would certainly be suitable for a two sided mattress and there would be no obvious weak links that would compromise the durability of the mattress.

There is also more about the pros and cons of a two sided mattress in post #3 here.

If you have done some careful testing and are confident that the Dynasty is a good ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of PPP and it compares well with your other finalists based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Thank you very much! This website has been very helpful to me during this mattress quest. I have purchased the Dynasty mattress after a few rest-tests on it and a few other mattresses in the same store and other stores.

Unfortunately this mattress hunt started after arriving home from a very pain free vacation. I figured I would have a few days of back discomfort after arriving home because of prolonged, uncomfortable travel. However, my back pain did not subside after a week and a half and I realized it had to be the mattress. I decided to move to my old bed which alleviated my lower back pain but this caused my back to hurt the way it did before I stopped sleeping on that mattress. So I moved onto a 30 year old twin spring mattress in a spare room. My feet hang off but all the major pain is gone except for some achiness.

The current mattress that caused all this pain is a Simmons Beautyrest. Luckily I had purchased it used out of necessity with a bulk of very lightly used furniture from an acquaintance that had to move quickly. From what Ive read Im very glad I did not purchase it for retail price or I would be quite angry. Although you cant see a hump in the middle, it is obvious when rolling across it. My hips sink way down when Im on my side and all of my lumbar muscles were debilitatingly painful in the morning. This would improve slightly during the day but it did such a job on my back that the pain did not go away until switching mattresses. I have had back pain throughout my life which have been caused by strain (ie sitting, extended periods, various sports, not from medical back issues). Looking back at this it is very hard to discern pain from strain during the day vs pain from having an improper mattress or a mattress that has slowly stopped providing proper support (which is easy to blame on daytime activity or inactivity). I certainly should have been more aware of this but it wasnt as blatantly obvious as it was after returning from vacation.

Prior to this I had a Select Comfort mattress. I was comfortable on it for many years, it had certainly served its purpose but eventually the comfort layer pillowtop gave out. This hurt my midback plus the bed was rather hard to sleep on. I considered replacing the comfort layer but it seemed way too expensive at $700 for a foam top. The bed was originally quite expensive but other than cost and foam deflation no other issues came up. The air pump still works and the sides do not leak air and the bed is about 15 years old. After reading other reviews of this bed on the internet recently Id say I was lucky.

The Select Comfort purchase was prompted by serious recurrent pain and throwing out my neck on a waterbed. That was so long ago however, that it is hard to analyse other than there was no support and I felt like I was lying on the surface of a ball.

Back to my current mattress quest-
I was interested in a two sided mattress because this is what I slept on during my painfree vacation. It seemed pretty old school but It gave me a starting point. I did some research on the internet, read a few reviews, and stumbled across this site. I visited Xtreme Discount mattress. They were pretty helpful and showed me the specs that they had but foam densities were not available for the mattresses I tried. It is possible they could have gotten them if I asked specifically but there wasnt anything there that I really liked. City Mattress was also helpful, I tried some Pranasleep options too because after reading about latex I figured Id give it a try. It was nice but way out of price range there. They also gave me the same sort of specs as the other store but I did not press for foam densities at that point. They did say that noone makes two sided mattress anymoreā€¦which we know isnt true.

I found Jamestown Mattress because of this site. They were great! There was no sales pressure, all of the components of the mattresses were on display with densities, and every step up in mattress price was becuase of type of materials so it was easy to compare. I liked the all latex line and the Dynasty line which is their top tier coil/ polyfoam line. I decided not to spring for the extra cost of all latex at this point. The Dynasty kept my spine in alignment on my side and back, I did not have that sinking-down feeling, the polyfoam was of higher quality, it was 2 sided which I personally value, and the price was right.

Thanks again for for my Associates in Applied Mattress Science!
Itā€™s fascinating material! I recommend your site to everyone.

Zoftra

Hi Zoftra,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your experiences ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a good quality/value choice and I hope you have the chance to share an update once youā€™ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit as well.

[quote]Thanks again for for my Associates in Applied Mattress Science!
Itā€™s fascinating material! I recommend your site to everyone.[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words! Maybe at some point I should make a ā€œgraduation certificateā€ available for download for anyone that has spent a few hours on the site :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well, I was dead wrong in my mattress selection. The Dynasty ended up being way to firm for me. During the first week I would wake up in the middle of the night and be consciously aware of the presence of the bed (!) pushing back at me. It was unrelenting. I cant say Ive ever experienced that sensation before. I became more aware of my preference for side sleeping (I thought I was mostly a back sleeper) as I would wake up with my shoulder folded forward so much I was tucked in an L shape. I also became aware of pressure points on my shoulders. The hip that was ā€˜upā€™ had some muscle pain too. I gave it a week as I know it takes a bit for the mattress to soften and for a body to get used to it but I could not give it 2 weeks.

Jamestown was very helpful as they let me use a 3" dunlop 75 piece as a topper to see if it helped. It helped a bit but not enough. I could still feel pressure on my shoulders and the muscle in the upper hip. They let me borrow a piece of 2" dunlop 55 and it was better but now after 4 days with it I woke up acutely aware that I had been sleeping on both sides last night as the pressure points on both shoulders are still aching and Ive been out of bed for 2 hours. However, laying the 55 latex on top of the 75 helped immensely but then the bed was way too high and whatā€™s the point of having a new mattress if you have to build another mattress on top of it?

Anyway, I stopped by the store to return one piece of foam and Im awaiting a phone call today regarding my obviously impending return. I looked at several alternative options that were much softer in varying price ranges. I do very much like the Heavenly Cloud euro top as it contains the same comfort layers as my experimental build-a-bed; duplop 55 on D75 on a latex core but the price is quite high for me. The other option is a Heavenly cloud plush which is 2" of D55 on a latex core. Itā€™s still pricey but may be ok in the value equation. I must spend a bit more time trying their hybrid Majestic Dream. Itā€™s about $600-$1000 less than the all latex mattresses. They have 2 versions, soft and firm. The firm one gives my hip that feeling again but the soft is an option. It actaully feels softer than the Eurotop Heavenly cloud but I dont want to err on the complete other side and get something too soft. I think I need to spend a bit more time chicking my alignment on that mattress. Of course I can also take a step down in price and get a softer polyfoam mattress- their Pillowrest luxury eurotop. (1.6# vs 1.8 in my Dynasty). All of these fit your quality standards listed on this site. As always it will come down to personal feel and value.

Even with the best research and testing, we can still end up with the wrong purchase and you just donā€™t know until you spend hours in your mattress every night.

Hi Zoftra,

Thanks for the update.

Iā€™m sorry to hear that the mattress you chose didnā€™t work out as well as you hoped for but itā€™s good to hear that Jamestown is working with you to help you make a better choice.

With careful testing the majority of people end up making a suitable choice the first time around but itā€™s also true that there are some people that for many different reasons can have more difficulty in choosing a mattress that is a good ā€œmatchā€ for them in terms of PPP and where the process of choosing a suitable mattress can be more challenging.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out how things work out for you and what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Well I decided to purchase the Majestic Dream soft version with D55 on a pocket coil system but weā€™re adding a zipper in case we need to change the latex. I canā€™t wait!

The return was completely hassle free and they will pick up the first bed when they drop this one off. They are a great company and I would recommend them to anyone.

I was pondering my original wrong choice. I think partly it was due to the mattress I had been sleeping on. (Simmons). It was very soft and the cheap foam completely gave out which led to a fear of sleeping on soft mattresses. Now of course it was because the foam was spent and not because it was soft. So when I went looking I equated soft with bad because that last mattress left me in severe pain every morning and any mattress (even the very firm one I bought) felt better then my worn out one. Now I know I need a soft mattress that provides me with good alignment. Plus I need some cushioning on my bony frame as I am tall and thin.

Hi Zoftra,

Thanks for the update ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

This makes perfect sense to me. There is a big difference between mattresses that contain lower quality softer foam materials that are typically used in major brand mattresses that donā€™t maintain their original properties over time and soften or break down prematurely (which can result in the loss of comfort and support) and mattresses that use higher quality foam materials (such as latex) that maintain their original properties and the comfort and support that was the reason you purchased them for much longer.

It certainly sounds like the mattress you chose this time would be a much more suitable choice for you and Iā€™m looking forward to any additional updates and feedback you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

Everything is working out very well with the Majestic Dream. It has just the right combination of support and softness for me. I do not feel any pressure points while sleeping and I have no back pain in the morning. It is wonderful. I do believe I should have purchased a new mattress much sooner than I did. It appears many of the back pain issues I had were solely from an old mattress.

Hereā€™s to a good quality mattress and being pain free!

Zoftra

Hi Zoftra,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update ā€¦ and itā€™s great to hear that your choice worked out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix