Jamison Mattress TLC Latex Options & Resort Collection Options Help

Hoping to get your insight on the following mattresses as we search and try to compare. The comparison process is difficult at best due to limited options on showroom floors. Plan to purchase a Jamison and wish we could test all the Resort and mainly TLC Latex collection all lined up in a row at one location, not happening. My husband is approximately 180lbs, 5’11’ and I am 115 lbs, 5’6", both of us are side & back sleepers. We both want the “just right” bed, not too firm but not too soft to allow sag and sink. He tries to pick a mattress that is not too firm for me and I try not to pick a mattress that is not too soft for him. Supportive with cushioned comfort.

Between the two of us here is the info on what we have looked at and have an interest in. TLC Latex: Cloudwing, Silverspot, Lady Lark The Resort Collection: St. Simons, and soon to try the LaJolla. I am sure there are other Jamison Latex mattresses that we would like but they are non-existent to test on showroom floors in our search radius of about 3 hours from our location in any direction. If there is a specific one that you think we should consider and track down based on specs, please advise.

So far I like the St. Simons, the Cloudwing seems a little firm. These are the only two I have tried, will try the others this weekend.
So far my husband likes the Lady Lark, Cloudwing, did not get a good test of the St. Simons as it was still in plastic but still was ok with it. He thinks the Silverspot is a little too soft.

Here are the specs:

TLC Latex Collection:

Lady Lark - listed as a Plush by Jamison
Lady Lark (not what the website shows, but specs according to the person I spoke with at Jamison)
2" 19 ILD Soft Talalay Latex
2" 19 ILD Soft Talalay Latex
2" 21 ILD Soft Talalay Latex
3" 36 ILD Medium Firm Talalay Latex
3" 44 ILD Extra Firm Talalay Latex

If the Jamison website is correct these are the specs:
2" Soft Talalay Latex
2" Soft Talalay Latex
3" Firm Talalay Latex
3" Extra Firm Talalay Latex

Cloudwing - listed as Plush/Firm
2" Soft Talalay Latex
1" Medium Talalay Latex
7" Ultra-Premium High Density (Marriott) Foam Core

Silverspot - listed as a Plush -
2" Soft Talalay Latex
2" Soft Talalay Latex
7" Ultra-Premium High Density (Marriott) Foam Core

Resort Collection:

St. Simons - listed as a Medium
Comfort Layers: Quilted to 1.5" Super Soft Convoluted Foam & 1" Hypersoft Safe Slumber Quilting Fiber
Mattress Unit: 2.25 Super Soft , 7" High Resiliency Ultra-Premium (Marriott) Core

LaJolla - Hybrid - Euro PT - listed as Plush
Comfort Layers:
Quilted to 1" Super Soft & 1" Hypersoft Safe Slumber Quilting Fiber & Polyester Fiber, 2" GL Talalay 21 ILD Latex, Palladian Micro Coil king count is 1722
Mattress Unit: 7" High Resiliency Ultra-Premium (Marriott) Core

This website is most informative and I have read all the pre-purchase tips; trying to follow them and make both a quality and comfortable sleeping choice. Any help and advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hi Lana,

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that should be helpful when you are comparing mattresses.

Outside of careful testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), the most important part of the value of a mattress is knowing the type and quality of all the materials and layers inside it (see this article).

Only your own testing or experience can tell you which of the mattresses you are considering is the best match for you in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) but I can certainly make some comments about the quality of the materials or help you identify any weak links in the designs.

You will be able to tell which of these are correct by matching them with the thickness of the mattress. You can also check the law tag to make sure that the mattress you are looking at only contains latex.

Either way … all of the materials are high quality (blended Talalay latex) and there are no weak links in either version. Having said that … If the first version is correct then this would have very soft comfort layers which can be somewhat risky for some people in terms of alignment so I would make sure that your testing confirms that you are in good alignment in all your sleeping positions on this mattress.

The Marriott Foam core is 1.8 lb polyfoam and this is a good quality material so in combination with the latex comfort layers in both of these mattresses there are no obvious weak links in either of these.

I would be cautious with this mattress because the specs you listed contain more than “about an inch or so” of unknown materials in the description and without more specific information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about either one of these mattresses. If you can find out the density of all the polyfoam in the comfort and quilting layers then you can compare them to the guidelines here or if you list them on the forum then I’d be happy to make some comments about it as well.

Based on the specs you listed there is only 2" in total of either less durable materials (the polyester fiber) or unknown materials (the 1" super soft polyfoam used in the quilting layer) and the other layers are all good quality (talalay latex, a microcoil and the Marriott foam core) so this would be “on the edge” in terms of having a weak link in the design although it would be less risky in terms of durability than the St Simons.

Phoenix

Thank you for your prompt response. We will keep your thoughts in mind, test a different Lady Lark latex as well as any others we can locate and hope to have a good choice before long. Also hoping to hear back from Jamison with specifics on the Lady Lark and somewhat of a Latex mattress “order of firmness” list based on their TLC Collection. I will update with any helpful information received.

Just spoke with a super nice person at Jamison regarding the correct specs for the TLC Lady Lark. They are as follows:

Lady Lark
2" Soft Talalay Latex
2" Soft Talalay Latex
3" Firm Talalay Latex

Hopefully the 6" combined firm and extra firm core of Talalay Latex will make for a more supportive core than the regular 7" or 6" HIgh Density foam core.

There is also one called the Prince / Admiral - which we have not seen.

Prince / Admiral
2" Soft GL Talalay Latex
1" Medium Talalay Latex
6" High Density Foam Core

More showroom testing required.

Hi Lana,

Thanks for confirming the specs of the Lady Lark. I would have thought that their site was correct.

Neither one of these has any lower quality materials or weak links in their design.

Phoenix

Based on that I guess it simply becomes a matter of personal preference and alignment as far as the TLC Latex collection goes, This at least helps in ruling out other less desirable and questionable choices and hopefully leaving us with only good options.
Thanks again for this most helpful website and your assistance.

Hi Lana,

Yes … both of these would have no weak links in terms of durability or the quality of the materials so it would be a matter of whether your testing indicated they were a good match for you in terms of PPP and on how they compared to the other mattresses you are considering based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. There is more in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix

Tested the Lady Lark and the Silverspot yesterday. Even with them side by side it is really hard to tell which is actually softer/firmer. Initially the Lady Lark feels softer but after the first 10 seconds it almost seems to have more “push back”. They both seem supportive but alignment is a difficult thing to test, we did take photos to review later but not sure how much those will really help. They both “fill in” all the right places, perhaps the Lady Lark just a little more … hard to say. To add to the confusion the specs on the Lady Lark we looked at do not match the specs listed on Jamison’s website or quoted by one of their employees. The Lady Lark we tested was 12" of all latex. I will post the photos if possible. Have they changed it at the factory down to a 10" and not updated the showrooms? Finding out for certain when the mattress you ordered comes in is less than ideal. They really should do better with the information on specs.

As for the Silverspot, I know little about the “new” GL Talalay. Will it hold up, is it softer or firmer than regular latex, does it regulate your body temperature, or is it just marketing hype? With only 4" of latex and the rest being 7" of HD Core will it provide less support than an all latex mattress?

It would be great if Jamison would list these mattresses in order of firmness, or provide a numerical rating of some sort, correct and consistent specs would also be beneficial. Having several models that say “plush” is not very helpful and very undefined. For certain the Couldwing, with only 3" of latex is the most firm out of the ones we have tested, uncertain after that. The confusion continues. Unfortunately Jamison seems confused as well.

Spec photo and “cutout”

Hi Lana,

I don’t know if they have changed the design or why the website description for the Lady Lark (and what you were told) is different from the pictures you attached but if the mattress you are testing is 12" thick and the law tag says it is all latex then I would think that the specs in the pictures you listed would be correct.

If there really is 6" of softer latex in the upper layers then I would be very cautious with your testing because it could be a little more “risky” for some people in terms of alignment.

There is also more about a latex hybrid vs an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

Talalay GL comes in three ILD’s (15, 21, and 27) so whether it’s firmer or softer than “regular” Talalay latex will depend on how the ILD’s compare between the layers you would be comparing. Some regular Talalay would be softer than some Talalay GL and some Talalay GL will be softer than some regular Talalay. The Talalay GL fast response used to be called Celsion and it’s been available for about 5 years so it’s not that new. It uses a phase change material added to the Talalay latex that can make a “slight” difference in sleeping temperature (see post #2 here). In terms of durability it would be closely comparable to blended Talalay which is a very durable material (latex in general is the most durable type of foam material).

While Jamison is more transparent than many other manufacturers … I certainly agree it would be helpful if they could clarify the discrepancy in the Lady Lark.

Mattress firmness ratings can vary between manufacturers and different people can also have very different perceptions about how firm or soft a mattress feels partly because of different body types or different sleeping positions but also because firmness can be very subjective and relative to how each person perceives softness. There are also different types of softness that each person may be more or less sensitive to (see post #15 here) so a specific “rating” provided by a manufacturer can sometimes be misleading when it’s used on an individual level rather than just as an “average” that may apply to many people … but not necessarily specific individuals. In general … the most reliable way to assess the softness or firmness of a mattress (and the type of softness or firmness) would be based on personal testing and experience rather than someone else’s assessment of how soft or firm it may be.

Phoenix