Joining 2 Twin XL beds to make a King bed

I just purchased 2-12" Dreamfoam Bedding Ultimate Dreams Twin XL mattresses to go on a Leggett & Platt S-Cape Adjustable King bedframe (which is also on order). Does anyone have a suggestion for keeping the two beds together? With the adjustable beds, I don’t think a foam insert would work very well, nor do I think strapping the mattresses together would work. Has anyone tried tying / lashing together an adjustable bed frame? Anyone have any ideas or tips? All feedback is appreciated! Excited to get my new bed!!!

Hi ShaunnaS,

If you are planning to operate both sides together rather than independently then post #8 here may be helpful.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix. Sorry I was vague. It is a split king, so they operate independently.

Hi ShaunnaS,

You can sync both sides of a split king adjustable so they operate together with a single remote which is what I thought you wanted to do (keep both sides of the mattress together on a king adjustable that operated as one unit) but if you want each side to operate independently then the options to turn the two twin XL’s into a king wouldn’t work of course because you could only raise and lower both sides together.

If you wanted to keep the two adjustable beds from sliding apart on a wooden floor then rubber caster cups something like these under the legs will help.

Is this what you meant?

Phoenix

Take a look at the accessories here on page 28, the swing-away hinges or bed straps might be what you are looking for.

I was thinking about getting these hinges when we ordered or L&P split king a few months ago but it has turned out not to be an issue. We have the D-222 series with wood legs and just the weight of the frames and mattresses keep everything in place. In fact it’s a bit of a chore to move them apart to change the sheets.

If you’re bases will have casters on the legs that might make a difference but I would wait and see if you really need to tie the frames together.

http://www.lpadjustablebeds.com/downloads/owners-manuals/Lifestyles%20Eng-Sp-Fr%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

Hi GW208,

Thanks for adding the L&P bedstrap and hinge as an option to keep the beds together :).

I should have included it in my original reply although as you mentioned if the legs aren’t sliding on the floor it probably wouldn’t be necessary for most people.

One more option if the mattresses themselves are sliding apart with use (and not the bases themselves) would be to use a rubber non skid carpet backing cut to size in between the mattress and the base.

Phoenix

Thank you both for some very good information. That was exactly what I was looking for! Much appreciated!