Jordan's Lanai latex v. Spindle latex

Hi, We live in MA and I have been using this site to research mattress types and reputable dealers. I concluded that latex is probably what is best for us. In a post that came up in a search here I read that Spindle latex was highly regarded, but also that Jordan’s manufactures a decent latex mattress too. After checking out Spindle’s website, I was really impressed with the Spindle mattress materials, construction, etc. - also good to know they’re officially endorsed here. But my husband is really reluctant to order a mattress that we have to assemble ourselves (I too am a little reluctant), and also make separate arrangements to have current mattress removed. It just seems like a hassle. The “Lanai” latex appears to be Jordan’s top of the line latex mattress. Price seems comparable to Spindle, but they’ll deliver it assembled and take our new mattress away for free. Anyone got any advice on how much quality we’d be sacrificing if we went with the convenience of a Jordan’s Lanai latex over the Spindle? (Also, note, at this time, Jordan’s is offering 72 month 0% financing on all purchases.)

Hi sagvig,

The simple answer about how much quality you would be sacrificing would be “a lot”. The Lanai is a latex/polyfoam hybrid that has 2" of 1.2 lb polyfoam on top of the latex which is a low quality material that could be a weak link in the mattress in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress. It also only contains 3" of latex on top of a 1.8 lb polyfoam base layer and polyfoam is a much less costly material than latex. There is also more about a latex polyfoam hybrid vs an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

The Spindle mattress uses much higher quality materials including 9" of latex and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress. It also has a wool quilted cover and wool is also a much more costly material and would be more temperature regulating than a cover quilted with polyfoam.

A component mattress also provides more options after a purchase to adjust or “fine tune” the comfort or support of the mattress after a purchase by either rearranging layers or replacing one of your layers with a softer or firmer version at a very reasonable cost. It also has the option of being able to replace just a single layer of the mattress if one of the layers softens or breaks down before the others (usually the top layer is the weakest link in a mattress) or if your needs or preferences change over time without having to replace the entire mattress.

Putting a component latex mattress together is a very simple job for two people. You can see their assembly instructions here and there are also some videos about assembling other component latex mattresses in post #12 here that can give you a good sense of how it works.

This topic has more information about disposing of an old mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you! We will have to give Spindle some more serious consideration.