Jumping in

OK! I have narrowed my search down to 2 stores
MFC and sleeponlatex
Though sleeponlatex may seem more cost effective being in Canada with shipping and import It seems MFC is almost better for me. I have 2 concerns so if anyone has dealt with MFC and has any input let me know

1. They do not seem to have returns, thats a concern. the mattress only comes in 40ILD I’m worried this is to firm. I could also use toppers from them and make my own mattress with different levs of toppers but would need to find a cover to fit them all.
    Has anyone bought from them and how did it go?

Hi alasearwax,

[quote]1. They do not seem to have returns, thats a concern. the mattress only comes in 40ILD I’m worried this is to firm. I could also use toppers from them and make my own mattress with different levs of toppers but would need to find a cover to fit them all.
Has anyone bought from them and how did it go? [/quote]

Hopefully some of the members here that have purchased from them will see your post and share their comments. A forum search on memoryfoamcomfort or on MFC (you can just click the links) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

In the meantime I would keep in mind that while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

In other words … if two mattresses have different designs or combinations of layers and components then your own careful testing or personal experience is the only reliable way to compare two mattresses in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

As you probably know both of the companies you are considering are members of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, knowledge, service, and transparency.

While nobody can speak to how a mattress will feel for someone else because there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved … in terms of durability there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of any of the mattresses you are considering.

For most people a single 6" layer of latex would be firmer than they would prefer to sleep on without a softer comfort layer or a topper (particularly if you are a side sleeper).

If you did decide to add a topper then you wouldn’t need a cover to surround the entire mattress/topper combination … only a dedicated cover for the topper itself.

As you also mentioned … if after a more detailed conversation with an online retailer or manufacturer you are still uncertain about whether a mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP … then the options you have after a purchase to return or exchange a mattress (or individual layers) or to “fine tune” the mattress with a topper can be one of the more important parts of the “value” of an online purchase.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for all the help Phoenix!
I have decided to go with MFC, the mattress is a 100% dunlop by Natures Embrace. In your opinion has that been a safe and trustworthy brand?

Hi alasearwax,

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will feel to you … 100% natural Dunlop latex is certainly a very high quality and durable material regardless of the name of the manufacturer that uses it in their mattress.

I also think highly of Renelle (who makes the Nature’s Embrace line of mattresses). Forum searches on Renelle and on Nature’s Embrace and on Natures Embrace will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well. My oldest adult daughter also sleeps on a Nature’s Embrace mattress (and loves it).

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to any comments and feedback you have the chance to share once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix