Just bought a mattress and it's too soft

I recently bought a Total Latex mattress from Brooklyn Bedding in the Level 8 (Plush), which is a 6" base layer of 32 ILD Talalay latex and a 3" comfort layer of 19 ILD Talalay latex and 1" of bamboo fabric cover. A bit about me: Iā€™m a 52 year old female, 127 lbs and sleep on my side, and a little on my back (and stomach, but Iā€™m desperately trying to stop).

Brooklyn Bedding recommended the Level 8 based on my weight and how I sleep, but Iā€™m finding it to be too soft and it doesnā€™t feel supportive at all. I donā€™t like a really firm mattress (as I tend to have pressure points in my hips) but this mattress really feels too soft to me. I think I would like to do a ā€˜comfortā€™ exchange, but Iā€™m not sure whether I should try a Level 7 (24 ILD comfort layer) or a Level 6 (24 ILD comfort layer). I hate to make another mistake.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi nycgal,

The first thing I would suggest it to give your mattress some time so that you have a chance to go through the normal adjustment period that goes with any new sleeping surface or a material that you arenā€™t used to sleeping on (see post #3 here). Latex is very ā€œpoint elasticā€ and contouring and has a very different ā€œfeelā€ than other types of foam materials and can take some time to get used to. For some people it can feel softer than other materials that have the same softness rating and for others it can feel firmer than materials that have the same firmness rating and while it may not ā€œfeelā€ supportive ā€¦ because it also has a higher compression modulus than other foam materials (the rate that a material becomes firmer as you compress it more deeply) it may actually be doing a better job of keeping you in good alignment than the mattress that you were sleeping on previously even though it may ā€œfeelā€ like it isnā€™t.

Are you experiencing any actual symptoms on your mattress (such as lower back pain when you wake up in the morning) or is it just that it feels different (or feels softer) than what you are used to?

Your mattress would certainly be in the range of the firmness level that ā€œon averageā€ would tend to work well for others that are in your weight range and have a similar sleeping style and I would tend to give any new mattress a minimum of two weeks (and preferably longer) before you consider making any changes. If after a few weeks your sleeping experience indicates that you either need or prefer to make a change to your comfort layer for something firmer then I would talk with Brooklyn Bedding about your experience over the first few weeks to help you decide on which firmness level would be your best choice because a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer will be your best source of guidance about any changes which would have the best chance of success.

Phoenix

Thanks very much. I am actually feeling some lower back pain now, and neck pain (which may due to my pillow on a different sleeping surface). I will give it some more time and see how it goes, but Iā€™m having a very difficult time sleeping as i just canā€™t seem to get comfortable. Perhaps it is just my body not being used to something so soft, but I hope Iā€™m able to sleep through the night very soon and without pain.

Hi nycgal,

Lower back pain can often be a sign that the mattress is too soft and neck pain is most often a sign of a pillow issue (you will often need a new pillow with a new mattress if your shoulders are sinking in more or less than your previous mattress and your head and neck arenā€™t in the same alignment).

There is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and the most likely reasons behind them in post #2 here.

There is also more information about pillows in the pillow topic here.

Giving your experience and any ā€œsymptomsā€ you are experiencing a chance to stabilize and making any exchanges based on your experiences or ā€œsymptomsā€ over a little longer period of time rather than based on your initial impressions will give you a much better chance of making the most suitable choice and deciding whether your experience is ā€œpointing toā€ an exchange for either one or two more firmness increments (to 24 or 28 ILD).

While there are probably more people that are new to sleeping on latex that are a little surprised that it feels firmer than they thought it would ā€¦ each person is unique and there are also others that like you experience it as being softer than they expected and all of this is a normal part of the process of ā€œfine tuningā€ an online component latex mattress using your actual sleeping experience as a reference point to help you choose your ā€œidealā€ firmness level.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks so much for your help! The links you posted were really helpful and I really wish I had found this site sooner.

Though really limited, I have had some brief experience with a latex hybrid latex bed - with a Charles P Rogers Powercore Estate 7000. I had it for 3 months, but it was too firm and I had lots of problems with pressure points and I was never able to find a comfortable sleeping position, except on my stomach. I tossed and turned all night because it simply never became comfortable to me. And, of course, Iā€™m now worried I may have a bed that is too soft :-).

I am going to give this mattress more time, and hope my body adjusts. Out of curiosity, is there a noticeable difference between an ILD 19 and an ILD 24 in a comfort layer?

• nycgal

Hi nycgal,

One of the advantages of a component mattress like you have is that you can change the comfort level to a firmer or softer version very easily so choosing a mattress that is either too firm or too soft is much less of a risk.

While there are some people that are more towards the ā€œI can sleep on anythingā€ end of the sensitivity range than the ā€œprincess and the peaā€ end of the range that donā€™t seem to notice much difference even between mattresses that are very different from each other ā€¦ for most people there would be a noticeable difference yes.

Phoenix