Just bought a Stearns and Foster, but still have questions

Hey all,

I’m brand new to this forum and in search of guidance. I’m obviously feeling indecisive, confused, and overwhelmed with this whole mattress shopping experience and really need some feedback as to whether I made the right decision or need to change.

I just bought the Stearns & Foster Estate Scarborough Euro Pillowtop Luxury Firm Queen Mattress Set from Macy’s two days ago:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/stearns-foster-estate-scarborough-euro-pillowtop-luxury-firm-queen-mattress-set?ID=1326312&CategoryID=25956&LinkType=#fn=BRAND%3DStearns%20&%20Foster%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D28%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D12
I got a great deal because of the Black Friday weekend special.

The mattress hasn’t been delivered to me yet, but I’m already having a few second thoughts. I have read a ton of negative reviews online (including on this website) speaking poorly of Stearns and Foster’s workmanship and durability, specifically pointing to its tendency to sag and form impressions within a relatively short amount of time.

In addition, I have some concerns of my own:

b[/b] I mostly sleep on my side (but occasionally back/stomach), however I don’t want to sacrifice support or spinal alignment. I thought a firm bed combined with a cushy pillowtop would might offer the best of both worlds (softness with support), but now I’m not sure if I should go softer (e.g. “cushion firm” or plush).

In the Macy’s showroom, I also liked the cushion firm estate lux cudworth euro PT:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/stearns-foster-estate-lux-cudworth-euro-pillowtop-luxury-cushion-firm-queen-mattress-set?ID=1326392&CategoryID=25956&LinkType=#fn=BRAND%3DStearns%20&%20Foster%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D28%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D2
It felt even more comfy/softer but I am concerned this might cause my body to sag in the middle. On paper, I would’ve at least preferred the cushion firm rather than the luxury firm that I chose because the cushion firm felt little softer and more comfortable (which is more suited for side-sleeping). On the other hand, I was afraid it might also offer less support when sleeping on my back, sag more prematurely, not support the middle of my torso, and also wear out more quickly… thus, I didn’t wind up choosing it despite superior comfort in the showroom. Were these valid concerns?

b[/b] Will having a pillowtop make the mattress even more vulnerable to impressions or collapse?

b[/b] If pillowtops are way too problematic, then maybe I should switch to the plush model without a PT?:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/stearns-foster-estate-scarborough-tight-top-luxury-plush-queen-mattress-set?ID=1326305&CategoryID=25956&LinkType=#fn=BRAND%3DStearns%20&%20Foster%26MATTRESS_COMFORT%3DPlush%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D8%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D6

Furthermore, when in the showroom, I originally considered buying either the Serta iSeries (Hybrid Luminous Retreat Super Pillowtop Cushion Firm Queen Mattress Set):
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/iseries-by-serta-hybrid-luminous-retreat-super-pillowtop-cushion-firm-queen-mattress-set?ID=1317878&CategoryID=25931

… or the iSeries Profiles (Hybrid Tranquil Retreat Super Pillowtop Luxury Plush Queen Mattress Set):
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/iseries-by-serta-profiles-hybrid-tranquil-retreat-super-pillowtop-luxury-plush-queen-mattress-set?ID=1391840&CategoryID=25931

… but the sales staff spoke more highly of S&F gave me a great deal on it. I also found the S&F a bit more comfortable and luxurious than the iSeries, so I went with the S&F. What do you guys think about S&F versus Serta iSeries?

My questions are:
[li]Should I stick with my original purchase (the S&F luxury firm eurotop)?[/li]
[li]Will the firmness of this model resist the sagging, impressions, or wear out typical in S&F’s? If so, I’d be inclined to keep my choice.[/li]
[li]Will this firmness get softer/plusher over time? If so, I’d also be more confident of my choice.[/li]
[li]Should I switch to the more comfy option (the S&F cushion firm eurotop) or will this wind up getting too soft, start sagging early, or not give enough support?[/li]
[li]Are pillow tops really all that problematic? And if so, is it worrisome enough to go through the hassle of changing the purchase order altogether?[/li]
[li]Are the Stearns and Fosters better than the Serta iSeries models?[/li]
[li]Should I consider a completely different but more reliable brand (in my price range) such as the Tempurpedic Cloud Prima or Tempurpedic Weightless Select?[/li]

Macy’s only has a measly 14-day trial period to exchange (“reselect”) to a different mattress (which includes a $75 restocking plus 15% reselect fees). After that, returns are allowed for up to 60-days. I don’t feel 14 days is enough to get used to the mattress, but that’s the position I’m currently stuck in. (The mattress has a 10-year warranty, so even if it does sag, it is technically covered, but I still would rather avoid it if possible.)

A bit about me: I am medium build, 160 pounds. I’m also a graduate student, on a very tight budget, so this is a big purchase for me. I’d prefer to stick with Macy’s since we have a Macy’s account. Unfortunately, I can’t afford any costly mistakes or penalties for returning a mattress after the 14-day reselect period. Sorry for the rambling post, I just wanted to touch on all my concerns in order to get the best advice. I’ve really got to get this right. I’m not necessarily dissatisfied with my purchase, I just want to be sure I have made the best decision.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

•Should I stick with my original purchase (the S&F luxury firm eurotop)?
Best thing to do is try it out for an extended period of time in the showroom.

•Will the firmness of this model resist the sagging, impressions, or wear out typical in S&F’s? If so, I’d be inclined to keep my choice.
No bed you buy will fully resist body impressions. I will say that the current gen of S&F Lux and Lux Estate beds have not had a good track record at the retailer I work for. Their signature beds, the more basic ones, have been very popular though.

•Will this firmness get softer/plusher over time? If so, I’d also be more confident of my choice.
Most beds will get slightly softer over time. One way to combat this is the use of a mattress protector.

•Should I switch to the more comfy option (the S&F cushion firm eurotop) or will this wind up getting too soft, start sagging early, or not give enough support?
Hard to say for sure, individual results may vary.

•Are pillow tops really all that problematic? And if so, is it worrisome enough to go through the hassle of changing the purchase order altogether?
From what I’ve seen, more “stuff” in the bed, the more there is to go wrong.

•Are the Stearns and Fosters better than the Serta iSeries models?
Very comparable. The iseries feel more like a hybrid than a traditional mattress.

•Should I consider a completely different but more reliable brand (in my price range) such as the Tempurpedic Cloud Prima or Tempurpedic Weightless Select?
Weightless select would be to firm for ya. The prima is a nice option.

Hi SMBrand,

All the mattresses you are considering are among the mattresses that either use lower quality materials or that don’t disclose the quality of the materials they use that I would would encourage people to avoid completely (see the guidelines here)

If you can cancel your purchase without penalty I would do so and then start your mattress search all over again using a very different approach to buying a mattress.

The first place to start is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones such as the mattresses (and the store) you have been considering.

Phoenix

Hello SMBrand,

New to the board here and was wondering what you ended up deciding?

We are in the same boat… Bought the same bed, also a back/side sleeper. Except now the bed has been delivered, I’m feeling it’s a little different from what I recall in the store (feels quite a bit firmer, and I can feel my boyfriend toss and turn whereas in the bed in the store (also a king) I didn’t). I’m also concerned by the reviews I’ve read online and am debating whether to return it to Macy’s or not.

Can anyone else also chime in if these beds are expected to “mute” movement more over time? How long does it take for them to get a little softer and break in?

Thanks very much for any inputs.

Hi Tetoo123,

This will stay about the same as it is now with little change over time because motion isolation is a result of the type of spring and the type of foam materials that are used in the mattress (although pocket coils are more motion isolating than other types of innersprings)

The typical break in and adjustment period for a new mattress can vary from person to person but it’s typically about 30 days or less although sometimes it can take up to about 90 days (see post #2 here).

While only you can decide what to do … I would consider any mattress that uses unknown or lower quality materials (in the comfort layers especially) to be a very risky choice and this is one of the most common reasons for buyer’s remorse much too quickly after a purchase.

Phoenix