Just pulled the trigger on an Eastern King 13000 SleepEZ "Natural

Replacing a 9 year old Stearns and Foster that was making me ache, and my girl-friend who is there 40% of the time was complaining of pain that she did not get except at my house.

I had slept on a few latex mattress/toppers as I use to travel a bunch so decided to give it a go as I always felt like I got a good night sleep on them.

The local shop has the Pure Bliss line. So I started there. Actually the Casper and the Leesa got my attention, but after finding this site, I believe the “value” was not there.

Me, 6’4 225
Her 5’4 120

My side: XFirm, Xfirm, Firm, Med
Her side: Xfirm, Firm, Med, Soft

All layers are Talalay

2 Free King pillow, one shredded one solid.

A bit over 2150 with their year end sale and the MUG discount.

Robin Helped Me.

Hi Hazard,

As you know I think very highly of SleepEZ and the quality and value of their mattresses and I think you made a great choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :).

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

It arrived yesterday at work.

Loaded four 55 pound boxes into the back of my truck and drove them home. Then I alone carry them up to my 3rd story bedroom. Moved the old Eastern King mattress to the guest room. I then assemble the entire mattress. Well I was helping my daughter with computer problems over the phone while I was doing it.

The first piece is the hardest to set in place as the latex is grippy and it wants to grab the mattress cover. At one point I was convinced they sent me the wrong cover, they did not. What worked for me was get it in to the basic position, and then make fairly steep “hill” in the middle of the mattress:

----^----  (bad ascii art of a "hill "in the middle.

then kind of shake it into place. I did this first top to bottom, the left to right.

The 2nd piece, next tot the first piece since this is a split, was a bit easier using the same method.

The remaining 6 pieces were fairly easy.

I then Made the bed, finished tech support with the daughter, and rolled around on it a bit. Took me about 2 hours, but remember I did it all by myself including moving the big old Stearns and Foster eastern King to the guest room.

SO about 9 pm, my back is aching and I decide to go to bed and read a bit. Pop 2 advil to help with the back.

Sleep impressions.

6’4" 225lbs:

It was firmer than I thought. My configuration from top to bottom is Med, Firm, XFirm, XFirm.
SO I woke up early and kind of felt I was laying a bit on a board it was that firm, but then I realized I was fully supported, but very firmly. I do a lot of yoga, and have laid flat on a floor and understand what the pressure points are, and the bed was different, very firmly supported.

But the biggie, was NO hip pain… Absolutely Zero. And later I realized reduced shoulder pain. By 6AM I was in the yoga studio, doing a morning practice and I really noticed the hip pain was gone and it was easier to practice.

The other side, for my GF who is only there about 40% of the time, is (5’4" 125) Soft, Med, Firm, XFirm. She was not present.
I tried it for a bit, and it seems fairly firm as well. I could not feel the split, but as I rolled onto her side it was an odd sensation, not necessarily bad, and almost seemed a bit like I was falling, I think my body sensed a changed in support and this is how it registered.

THis is the first night, and I will update after a week or so.

Additional Comments.
SLeep EZ sent me the wrong mattress protector. It was suppose to be some Cotton Wool thing, but what they sent was some cheap item that Amazon has for like $40. I sent them a terse, email last night, as I was tired. They called me first thing, and she said they would send me the wool and cotton protector as ordered, and to do what ever I wanted with cheaper one, cool. Any clue what the Cotton and wool protector is, I cannot find it on the web site.

I have attached a picture of the end of one piece of latex.

Hi Hazard,

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial comments and feedback in such detail … I appreciate it :).

Your experience with the “unique” combination of the firmer “feel” but good support and pressure relief of latex is fairly common and can be surprising to many people that aren’t familiar with it.

Your comments about assembling your mattress and “waving” the layers into position (and not being sure that the layers will fit) are also common with latex component mattresses as well.

I don’t know either and the only one they list on their site is the platinum protector here which is probably the one they sent you by mistake. Some of the more common cotton/wool protectors are listed in the mattress protector post here and I would be interested in finding out which one they sell.

I’m looking forward to any additional feedback you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

[quote]I don’t know either and the only one they list on their site is the platinum protector here which is probably the one they sent you by mistake. Some of the more common cotton/wool protectors are listed in the mattress protector post here and I would be interested in finding out which one they sell.
[/quote]

Sleep & Beyond myProtector.

Hi Hazard,

Thanks for letting us know which protector they were selling and based on what I’ve seen online it certainly seems like a high quality wool/cotton protector.

It seems to have about 5 oz/yd of wool which is thin enough to have less effect on the “feel” of the mattress which is similar to the Dormeir protector except it also has a membrane which would also make it waterproof instead of just water resistant similar to the NaturaProtect.

I’ll be interested in any comments you have about it as well.

Phoenix

Its been about 7 week, so I thought I would post an update.

Overall I am happy with the bed, and enjoy the rest I get on it.

When people ask me, why I did not get a Leesa or Casper with their easy return policy at half the price, my answer is: I was not thinking 100 day out, I was thinking 3 years, and what I would do to that mattress at 6’4" and 230 pounds. Pretty sure it would be dead, and I was not convinced their warranty was that great. I know I could make the latex mattress work with different options. I also know I can always replace a layer or so a few years down the line if I need to.

Details:

After a couple weeks I noticed the bed breaking in and getting softer, and I notice it more after 7 weeks. I do feel I would like it a bit more softer though, more on that in a bit.

My GF is a different story, while her back pain is better she still has hip pain, that she does not have at her own house. WHile the hip pain is getting a bit better as it breaks in, its still an issue, (As a note she is not there full time, so I would sleep on her side in hops of speeding her break in time) We believe she needs a softer bed.

I called SleepEZ, and in less than 3 minutes I had a new soft-layer shipped to me.

I think I will configure it from bottom to top
GF: Xfirm,firm, soft, soft
Me: Xfirm, Xfirm, med, med OR Xfirm, firm, med, med

We have a couple weeks to play with it.

No issue, never notice the split top layer, except for the firmness change if I roll over to the center.

We received 1 shredded latex, and 1 solid latex pillow. We both enjoy the shredded, and I enjoy the solid one as well. My GF does not like the solid latex pillow, but her pillow at her house, which she likes, reminds me of a small bag of old worn socks, about 5 pairs folded.

Hi Hazard,

Thanks for taking the time to share your ongoing comments and feedback in such detail once again.

It’s also good to see you are thinking in terms of years.

I’m looking forward to finding out about the effects of your layering changes especially for your girlfriend since it seems like you are fairly close already.

I’d also be interested in your comments about the Sleep & Beyond myProtector … how do you like it?

Phoenix

I will update initial impressions of my new layer next week and then an update further out.

Regarding mattress pad, I am really not sure what to look for on this? Give me some hints as to what to look for? It does seem well made.

I think the reason I am not focused on it as I put it on the bed a few days after the matteress was assembled and since the bed is “breaking in” it seems to be part of the equation, as opposed to adding after everything else has stabilized.

Hi Hazard,

[quote]Regarding mattress pad, I am really not sure what to look for on this? Give me some hints as to what to look for? It does seem well made.

I think the reason I am not focused on it as I put it on the bed a few days after the matteress was assembled and since the bed is “breaking in” it seems to be part of the equation, as opposed to adding after everything else has stabilized. [/quote]

There hasn’t been any feedback on the forum about this particular mattress protector so I was just curious about your overall impressions, the thickness and “stretchiness” of the mattress pad, and any effect you happened to notice it had on the feel of your mattress (although as you mentioned this would be more difficult to assess when you are still going through the break in and adjustment period).

Phoenix