Just received new mattress - Christeli Madeline

Hello folks.,

I promised multiple reviews for my new mattress, in case others have the same questions or may be looking at other Christeli mattresses. It took me quite a few hours (days, really) to find the quality and construction materials to meet my needs.

A HUGE shout-out to Phoenix for his advice not only former but for SO MANY OTHERS as well!!!

Anyway, just got the mattress this early afternoon, so not too much in the way of an actual “product” review. Shipping very fast. Packaging was 2 boxes, well packaged. Aesthetically, it is a very nice looking mattress and has an organic cotton ticking. As to the mattress all I have to say right now is that it is VERY FIRM. I hope it will soften a bit over the next couple of weeks. Initial thoughts are that it is too firm for my wife. I like it fine but she has serious concerns about it being too firm… With that said, we literally have not slept on the bed yet, these are initial observations… Will review again after full nights sleep.

Do memory foam mattresses soften a little over a couple of weeks usage? If it is too firm now, will it be generally more firm going forward?

Hi Cajen9669,

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

Yes … there will be an initial break in and adjustment period for any new mattress over the course of the first few weeks where the cover loses any of its initial stiffness, the foams lose any of their initial “false firmness”. he mattress materials and components settle a little, and your body gets used to the feel of a new sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to although the length of time it takes can very from mattress to mattress and from person to person (see post #3 here).

Memory foam is also temperature sensitive so there can also be some other factors such as room temperature and humidity or the type of mattress protector you use that can also affect the firmness of a memory foam mattress as well (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Ok, it has been just over a week but have only been able to sleep on the mattress for about 5 nights due to travel for work. I have to say, right now I am very underwhelmed. This mattress is like sleeping on a VERY FIRM surface. I hope that changes soon or it will not work. It does sleep cool though and the quality is definitely there in the construction. I am not really worried about it though since Christeli offers a good refund/return policy. At this point it is a wait and see… In the interest of full disclosure, I think I could live with the mattress if it softened just a little. I sleep very well on it… It is just FIRM. As with all things in life, gotta make the wife happy, and she is NOT happy with the firmness. As we all know “if mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.” Or happy wife, happy life…

I have talked to Christeli, they say it will get softer in about 3 weeks… We will see.

Will post update down to he road.

Hi Cajen9669,

Thanks for the update.

As you know from my previous replies (and from Christeli’s comments) your mattress will soften to some degree over the course of the first few weeks and you are still very early in the process so hopefully it will reach a point where it’s “soft enough” for the “boss” :slight_smile:

Phoenix

3 weeks in… Mattress has softened considerably. My wife, who has repeatedly said that she thought it may be too firm, still thinks it is firm. Here is the rub… She sleeps ALL NIGHT, EVERY NIGHT!!! She has NEVER slept more soundly. I like the mattress a lot as well… I Have a very bad back so I know I will never sleep all night, but I like the way it supports me and it “feels” like it is going to be all Christeli advertises and more. It looks and feels luxurious. I was somewhat worried about it sleeping hot… No worries at all in that regard.

We still have until around the 19-20th to make a final call on whether we keep it or not… But I think we may be good to go… The sound you just heard was me knocking on wood. :dry: :blink: B)

I will post again before decision day… Fingers crossed.

Hi Cajeng9669,

Thanks for the update.

Your experience certainly sounds very promising and based on your feedback it also sounds like your mattress is a good match for both of you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences)

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

Interesting, and somewhat concerning development. This morning I awoke with hip pain. I experienced this a couple of times in the last 2-3 weeks. It is not severe but it is bothersome. While the mattress has softened considerably, it is still somewhat firm. I would not worry too much about it except that I am nearing my sleep trial date. Is it possible that this mattress is too firm for me? I weigh 230lbs and am 6’ tall so I am not a small man. Some I you may recall but the top comfort layer is 4" of 5.3 # memory foam and then 6" of 2# foam as as base/core. I am wondering if this could be too firm for me? I worry about going softer as I have a bad back and everything I read indicates that too soft if a mattress can cause lower back pain and I already have back issues. I really like the Christeli brand and they absolutely use high quality foam so if is do go with a softer mattress I would probably still go with the Christeli brand.

Any thoughts about my mattress being too firm causing my hip pain?

Hi Cajen9669,

While it’s not really possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum because there are too many unique unknowns and variables involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or any “symptoms” they experience … there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

These posts are the “tools” that can help with the analysis, detective work, or trial and error that may be necessary to help you learn your body’s language and “translate” what your body is trying to tell you so you can make the types of changes that have the best chance of reducing or eliminating any “symptoms” you are experiencing.

While the most likely reason for hip pain is a mattress that is too firm … it’s also possible that a mattress is too soft and your hips are outside of their neutral alignment which can also lead to hip pain because of ligaments or muscles that are “stretched”. It’s also possible that it could be related to your mattress protector or a mattress pad you are using or to the foundation you are using under your mattress and are some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful.

It’s also possible that your “symptoms” are unrelated to your mattress because if your hip pain only happens occasionally rather than on a more frequent basis and isn’t a “pattern” in how you are sleeping on the mattress then it increases the possibility that there are other causes for your hip pain as well that may not be connected to your mattress.

If you have a bad back then I would be very cautious about choosing a mattress that is too soft because it’s relatively easy to “fix” a mattress that is too firm by adding a topper but it’s much more difficult to “fix” a mattress that is too soft because it would normally require removing and replacing any comfort layers that are too thick or soft or replacing a support core that is too soft … or replacing or exchanging the mattress.

In the end, and since you are the only one that can feel what you feel on the mattress … you would be in a much better position than I am to decide on whether your mattress was either too firm or too soft and deciding whether to keep your mattress or return or exchange it would really be a matter of “best judgement”.

I would also be worthwhile to have a more detailed conversation with Christeli so you can take advantage of their experience with other customers over the years that are in similar circumstances and that have experienced similar “symptoms”.

Overall though , if you have a history of back issues I would prioritize support/alignment and making sure that a mattress that isn’t too soft for your back over comfort/pressure relief issues.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. As is generally the case, you have given me some light reading to do. I really do want to personally thank you for the time and energy that you spend helping people with choosing a mattress.

Hi Cajen9669,

Thanks for the kind words … and you’re very welcome :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your next update.

Phoenix

I am looking forward to her post I have a bad back too! Disc slips sometimes.

Hi Bunny1999,

I would keep in mind that while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

A mattress that works “perfectly” for one person’s back issues may be completely unsuitable to sleep on for someone else even if they seem to have similar back issues.

Phoenix