Just Started my Search for my New San Jose Mattress

My Husband and I have just started our search for our new Mattress after having a very bad experience with a Stearns and Foster Mattress…

We have tried the tempurpedic Mattresses however my husband is weary of the way you feel locked in, almost as if you cant turn or move around… He’s Also worried about the Mattress materials not lasting long?

We then moved on and tried the Sleep Number beds… Which worked well for us and we liked, but again we are not sure of the quality and have heard some stories of the pumps giving out and warranty issues…

My husband is 5"9’ and I am 5"4’ he weighs about 220lbs and I weigh 150 lbs.

I have horrible lower back pain and also upper around my shoulders from sitting at computer all day… I am a stomach sleeper and he sleeps all positions but mostly on his back or side. I always sleep either on my side or my stomach… Mostly stomach.

I like a hard mattress with a pillow top, I don’t like to sink in much but I don’t like too hard where my hips hurt in the morning.

He likes medium firm with a pillow top… I find most pillow tops make me sink too far in on my stomach and I feel like a banana then my lower back hurts all day…

We are not set on buying thru retail at all we would do online or a manufacturer as long as we could trust them… I am a little weary of not trying the mattress first but would deal with it, if we did lots of research and again had a great warranty and trusted the manufacturer.

SO my question is are there any good mattress manufacturers that will deliver to San Jose California?

And HELP us figure out this mattress nightmare???

GIna

Hi ginaCalifornia,

the first place I would start your research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and avoid the worst ones (that would include all of the mattresses you mentioned here or any other major brand or manufacturer that doesn’t disclose the quality of the materials that are inside their mattress or are poor value compared to other mattresses that use the same or higher quality materials).

Once you get to step 3 in the guidelines … some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the San Jose region are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks so much for the starting point.

Considering we are just starting out our search, should we be trying out mattresses at retailers and if so what do you suggest as far as innerspring, with a latex mix, and 100% latex/memory foam mattresses.

We are a little lost as to how to start testing mattresses and have been totally turned off by the wealth of information here on your site as far as retailers and big brands and the lack of quality…

As a sidenote, the information on this website is absolutely amazing and much needed!! We would have purchased an ioptimum or similar big brand mattress from a retailer had I not stumbled over this website.

I will tell everyone we know.

Thanks so much!

Gina

Hi ginaCalifornia,

The type of components or materials in a mattress (innersprings, memory foam, polyfoam, latex, natural fibers, microcoils etc) are a personal preference so I really have no suggestions because only you can know which ones you like best. That’s part of the reason for your testing. As long as you test mattresses at retailers or manufacturers where you are able to find out all the details about what is inside the mattresses you are testing (including the type and blend of any latex and the density of any memory foam or polyfoam) then you will be fine and be able to make meaningful comparisons. I would just follow the steps in the guidelines one by one.

It sounds to me like you’ve done the “basic reading” so the next step is probably #3 which is to talk to some of the retailers on the list on the phone and let them know your criteria and budget and the types of mattresses you are interested in testing and then visit the ones that appear to be the most knowledgeable, helpful, and transparent and carry the types of mattresses you are most interested in testing. Your reading will help you tell which of the retailers and manufacturers are most comfortable talking about the materials in their mattresses and are more knowledgeable and helpful.

Who you deal with and their knowledge and experience and willingness to give you meaningful information about their mattresses can be one of the most important parts of a successful purchase.

Good luck … and of course if you have questions along the way then feel free to post them here and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Phoenix

We’re just starting our search also and a local store I came across is The Urban Sleep Store in Los Gatos. I don’t know how Phoenix feels about the mattresses they carry but the store gets pretty good reviews on Yelp. Since they are only a mile or so from us we plan on stopping by one day to at least see what a latex mattress feels like.

We will be replacing our Sleep Number bed that is probably about 15 years old. The pumps are a bit noisy but we’ve never had a problem with them and once you get the pressure where you want it, there’s really no need to use them very often.
There was an issue a few years ago with some owners reporting mold and mildew in the foam layer that’s on top of the air chambers. When we inspected ours, it looked fine but I called Sleep Number anyways just to inquire about the issue and they sent out a new foam layer with no questions asked even though it was way out of warranty so we were very pleased with their support.

Hi GW208,

The urban Sleep Store carries OMI, Pure Latex Bliss, Technogel, and Tempurpedic according to their site and all of these use good quality materials (Tempurpedic for the most part but not in their Tempur - Choice line). Tempurpedic is poor value compared to other similar mattresses. OMI generally carry premium prices compared to other similar latex mattresses and they carry a fairly significant “organic” premium. The Technogel mattresses are also very costly (a forum search on Technogel will bring up much more comments and feedback about them).

Pure Latex Bliss is owned by Latex International who makes the Talalay latex used by many manufacturers and is also uses high quality materials but are also not always in the “best value range”. They have been quite popular and a topic of frequent discussion on this site. They have MAP pricing (minimum advertised pricing) so there is a wide range of “real” prices that various retailers charge throughout the country so I would make some careful comparisons.

Overall Urban Sleep Store would certainly be a good place to test some high quality latex mattresses but I would make sure you make some careful value comparisons to other similar mattresses (or with other retailers) based on your personal value equation.

Phoenix