Just Starting My Research

Hi All!

Below is a post I made in Sleep EZ’s subforum. I would like to get the groups’ input on their recommendations so I don’t make any missteps along the way. :slight_smile:

[i]I haven’t been happy with a mattress since I don’t know when, but my current journey began about 8 years ago when I decided to upgrade to a Saatva mattress.

We started with the Luxury Firm (because, well “support”). I was NOT happy with it at all, WAY too firm! We exchanged for the Plush Soft (yeah, right…“soft”), their softest mattress at that time. This was still too firm for my liking and I told them so. They were kind enough to send out a topper (foam, not latex) for no charge. The topper helped immediately and I could finally sleep without massive pressure points and an achy back.

However, after a couple of years, the topper lost it’s supportive qualities and I was back to where I started. I contacted Saatva, and they were kind enough to send out another topper for no charge! This kept me happy for another couple years, but when I called this time, no more free toppers…they wanted $325!

I then purchased a 3" “soft” latex topper from Sleep On Latex (due to recommendations from this forum) and I have been pretty happy with the latex over (admittedly worn out) Saatva foam topper over Saatva mattress for the last 2 years or so. But now, the mattress itself is breaking down and there is a definite divot on both sides (can’t be flipped). So I am now in the market for a new mattress.

We have a King bed and would want to stay with that size. My wife doesn’t care about any of this…she could literally sleep on anything. lol I am 6’5" / 250# and she is 5’9" / 160# and we are both side sleepers for the most part. We are considering one of your “split” mattresses, mostly for the isolation but the different firmness of both sides is probably handy considering our vastly different weights.

I am a very hot sleeper, I suffer from terrible night sweats (have seen my doctor about it multiple times, and there seems to be nothing wrong with me). I do plan on purchasing some sort of active cooling pad regardless of which mattress I purchase (currently leaning towards the Eight Sleep “Smart” mattress cover).

I have read the tutorial here on the forum, so I consider myself fairly educated in the basics now, but would like to know after reading my story what your recommendations would be![/i]

Sleep EZ recommends I keep my current Sleep On Latex 3" “Soft” topper and go with their split 7" foam mattress with these layers; firm SPLIT with medium Dunlop for the second layer (wife’s side), and extra firm SPLIT with firm for the bottom layer (my side).

Does anyone see any issues with me giving this mattress a try, or should I be considering other options as well? Are there any important considerations I missed?

I should add that cost is really not an issue, I am willing to pay for my “ultimate” mattress this time around…I want zero regrets! Of course, less is always better. :wink:

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

Alan

Hi Alan P

Sorry to hear your current Saatva is “breaking down and there is a definite divot on both sides”. It’s definitely time to get out of this vicious loop of replacing the topper on a mattress that is clearly deteriorating. It looks like latex is your preferred choice, so durability won’t be an issue unless your BMI gets past 30 in which case a latex topper or comfort layer in plush (19 ILD or less) would undergo more mechanical stress and may need to be changed overtime.

Thanks for providing your stats and history with the current mattress – I’ve read the recommendation SleepEZ made and they are well thought and sound for both you and your wife.

A 10" mattress/topper is thick enough to accommodate the weight differential and would be suitable for someone transitioning from a pillowtop or another mattress/topper as SleepEZ explained. The topper they recommend, however, is a new Talalay and not your current 3" Dunlop, (SOL sells only Dunlop) additionally because of the weight differential they recommend different firmness for each sleeper. This is what they say.

"As such, my advice is to order the 7" natural latex mattress and order a separate 3" Talalay topper to go on top of that. I recommend medium Talalay glued to soft Talalay for the topper (medium for your side and soft for her side)."

This makes sense too as the difference between Dunlop and Talalay feel can be quite noticeable as Phoenix explains:

"Talalay is considered to be more “springy” or “lively” than Dunlop because you will generally sink in deeper which means there is more up and down “movement” or “ride” with Talalay and it springs back more strongly and quickly. This creates a different “feel” between the two materials and is also why Talalay is often considered to be more pressure relieving than Dunlop because it allows for a deeper cradle in the same ILD … while Dunlop is considered to be more supportive because it doesn’t compress as deeply with greater weight … all else (including ILD) being equal of course. "

It’s all depending on your needs and personal preferences but from what you described I’d guess that Talalay would better suit your need for more plushness.
I also like the idea of the toper having two firmness levels as it can be more adaptable. At your BMI a medium firmness is a good recommendation as Talalay feels softer than Dunlop in the same ILD and will hold better in terms of durability over time. You are lucky that your wife can sleep on almost everything as you have some room for experimenting with what build best suits you if it turns out that the medium is still not plush enough for you it’s easy enough to rotate the topper and have the soft on your side.

They know their materials and designs better than anyone else and their recommendations are based on averages of their experience with customers that are similar to you.

Could you confirm that this is what they recommend for the 7" Natural Latex mattress?

I am thinking that at your BMI and side sleeping you’ll go through the 3" Talalay topper and feel the Extra-Firm second layer which may create some pressure points for you. Either way, this can be easily fixed by switching the bottom and middle layer to your side.

So I’d make sure to ask for clarification from Arizona SleepEZ Factory They are very experienced at mattress matching consumers and the 7" Latex Mattress with a 3" topper has very good odds of working for you.

Keep in mind that the cooling pad / Eight Sleep will modify the surface tension of the mattress and the comfort level you settle on. Also, softer mattresses will “sleep warmer” than harder mattresses as you’ll sink in more, and the more, you’ll be insulated, regardless of the materials within the mattress. Also, less surface area of your body is exposed for heat exchange.

More breathable comfort materials can flow more air and help with both humidity and temperature regulation. There is more about tracking mattress temperature regulation issues potential causes ~ Post #2 here

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Basilio

Hello Basilio!

Thank your for the well thought out, informative reply!

[quote=“Basilio post=92249”]
A 10" mattress/topper is thick enough to accommodate the weight differential and would be suitable for someone transitioning from a pillowtop or another mattress/topper as SleepEZ explained. The topper they recommend, however, is a new Talalay and not your current 3" Dunlop, (SOL sells only Dunlop) additionally because of the weight differential they recommend different firmness for each sleeper. This is what they say.[/quote]

I like that in your opinion the 10" mattress would work in my situation!

My apologies, I should have been more clear about the topper. Sleep EZ actually recommended I try my existing topper after I specifically asked about it later on in that thread:

[quote]It’s all depending on your needs and personal preferences but from what you described I’d guess that Talalay would better suit your need for more plushness.
I also like the idea of the toper having two firmness levels as it can be more adaptable. At your BMI a medium firmness is a good recommendation as Talalay feels softer than Dunlop in the same ILD and will hold better in terms of durability over time. You are lucky that your wife can sleep on almost everything as you have some room for experimenting with what build best suits you if it turns out that the medium is still not plush enough for you it’s easy enough to rotate the topper and have the soft on your side.[/quote]

All great points! And if my current SOL topper just doesn’t do it for me, I will definitely be ordering the split Talalay topper from Sleep EZ. :slight_smile:

[quote]Could you confirm that this is what they recommend for the 7" Natural Latex mattress?

I am thinking that at your BMI and side sleeping you’ll go through the 3" Talalay topper and feel the Extra-Firm second layer which may create some pressure points for you. Either way, this can be easily fixed by switching the bottom and middle layer to your side.[/quote]

No, with their recommendation the Firm layer would go above the Extra Firm on the right side. :wink:

I have read that the cooling pads can add some firmness. In your opinion, do you think I should go one step softer on the top mattress layers (maybe both layers?) because of this effect? I am definitely getting some kind of cooling pad because I am sick and tired after years of sleeping hot with night sweats. :frowning:

Thank you again!
Alan

Now, to complicate matters, I just looked into Flobed’s Vzone and this mattress seems to be a game changer! But…can a DIY option result in the exact same experience while saving some cash??

[quote=“Alan P post=92278”]Now, to complicate matters, I just looked into Flobed’s Vzone and this mattress seems to be a game changer! But…can a DIY option result in the exact same experience while saving some cash??
[/quote]

Yes, it’s definitely a game changer for sure if you have a situation where you need the adjustability and like the feel of latex foam. The short answer to your question about saving money is yes and no. Yes, you could save a bit if you buy everything and DIY but it also means you can’t make many mistakes (which almost always happen during a DIY) or you’ll be in it for around the same price without all the warranty that would come when you buy the full v-zone bed. The other complication is that at around 250lbs you’re likely more suited for the Big & Tall version which is taller and costs quite a bit more. Those are both off the shelf solutions that come with full warranty so only you can decide if you have the skills to try and DIY or if it makes more sense to just buy a one and done solution.

Yes, it’s definitely a game changer for sure if you have a situation where you need the adjustability and like the feel of latex foam. The short answer to your question about saving money is yes and no. Yes, you could save a bit if you buy everything and DIY but it also means you can’t make many mistakes (which almost always happen during a DIY) or you’ll be in it for around the same price without all the warranty that would come when you buy the full v-zone bed. The other complication is that at around 250lbs you’re likely more suited for the Big & Tall version which is taller and costs quite a bit more. Those are both off the shelf solutions that come with full warranty so only you can decide if you have the skills to try and DIY or if it makes more sense to just buy a one and done solution.[/quote]

Thank you for that! The warranty is definitely worth whatever I might save going DIY. I like me a good warranty. :slight_smile: