Just tried Temperpedic Cloud Luxe, what else out there is comparable?

Hi Huntlip,

Thanks for your feedback.

There are a couple of things (outside of customer service issues) that I would keep in mind though that would apply to any mattress not just Select Foam and post #2 here would be well worth reading either for your current circumstances or for future reference.

Higher quality foams like the ones that Select Foam uses will often take longer to soften and reach their long term performance level (Tempurpedic is the same) and all mattress designers design their mattress for how they will feel in the long term rather than how they feel when they are new. It’s important to know that there is both a break in period for any new mattress as well as an adjustment period whenever you are sleeping on a new sleeping surface. Sometimes this can be quite quick and sometimes it can take much longer.

As you will also read … there are several other factors that can affect how memory foam feels and performs including temperature and humidity as well as any mattress protector or bedding you are using.

Their first piece of advice (about removing the fire barrier) was actually a good one because this can speed up the softening of the memory foam. Walking carefully and evenly on the surface of the mattress can also speed up the process. Finally it may also be true that you need a little extra softness that becomes more clear when you sleep on the mattress that wasn’t evident when you were testing mattresses (and this will also depend on the accuracy and objectivity of your testing). This was all good advice. Had they followed through on delivering the topper this would have been a generous offer as well on their part (I’m assuming here that you were paying less than full price).

So while you may certainly experience the mattress as being much more firm than what you remembered the Cloud Supreme was (and subjective memory over time when you compare testing a mattress to your sleeping experience can sometimes be misleading) … this may also not be an indication of your long term experience because new mattresses are not designed to feel the same as a floor model that has already broken in.

None of this is an indication of the quality or value of the mattress (and sometimes it’s the opposite because higher quality materials will take a little longer to go through their initial softening).

On the other hand … waiting 3 weeks for your topper … even though it was a generous offer (again I’m assuming here that you weren’t paying full price?) … is not good customer service and this would be disappointing to me as well. While I don’t know if I would be quite as upset as you are and the rest of what they did and suggested seems to me to be good advice … I would certainly call them (and hopefully you have already) to find out why you haven’t received it.

The good news in all of this is that if all else fails … they have one of the best return policies in the industry which is why it would make much more sense for them to send out a topper in a more timely manner because they lose money on a free return and it doesn’t make sense to disaffect a customer when they are the ones who will pay the price in the end for their delay … not you.

Phoenix