KD Foundation Placement w/Sleep EZ 13000 Eastern King

First time posting after so many hours of reading! Thanks to all of you for building such a great forum of information!
I am about to purchase the Sleep EZ 13000 Eastern King to replace an 18+ year old Sealy Posturpedic Intimate Special Collection Cushion Firm. My wife is keeping her actual weight to herself. However she did enter the data in the online configure tool. Her side at XF/XF/XF/Firm, While my side is XF/F/M/M - we both chose Side to Back sleepers.
I need a KD foundation for this amazing mattress and will buy the one from Sleep EZ.
Our current Ikea bed frame is the Ikea noresund king size bed frame - a metal frame. I am debating tossing this and just placing the foundation on the carpeted bedroom floor. Is that a sound choice? I know we want a foundation for air flow and height reasons. I wasn’t sure if the foundation itself needs airflow under it - thus requiring me keep the bed frame?

What are your thoughts?

Hi phxchris,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know you are certainly making a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

I don’t fully trust any online configuration tools and I would strongly suggest a phone conversation with SleepEZ just to confirm the options that you came up with using the tool.

Their foundation is certainly a great choice for an all latex mattress as well.

I’m not familiar with the Noresund bedframe but you can see some guidelines that I would suggest for bedframes in post #10 here.

The foundation should be fine directly on the floor but it would also make the mattress more difficult to shift or move or to clean underneath it (which may lead to dust collecting inside the foundation) and it can also lead to some stubbed toes on occasion (especially when you are getting into bed when it’s dark … coming from the voice of experience :)). It may also lead to a little bit lower sleeping surface than you are comfortable with.

Phoenix

Phoenix! Thanks for the quick response and sage advice. On the floor may be a temp solution until I save pennies again for a proper frame. Or I may end up keeping the Ikea frame. My concern is the Ikea frame only has support on the sides and middle. There is no steel supporting the head and foot ends. I was thinking with this much weight from the foundation and latex that could be a problem. Any thoughts on that support limitation?

I am planning to purchase the bed tonight and then call them in the morning to confirm the configuration. Tricky part is my wife being coy about her actual weight. After 2 kids she no longer wants to share the specifics. I can support that. It just may mean swapping layers until we get it right.

Thanks for the help!

Hi phxchris,

Most of the Ikea bedframes have a steel center support beam but they don’t have a center leg that supports it to the floor so If I was using one of their bedframes I would add the center support leg that they also have available (see here) which would probably make it strong enough for most people although I don’t know how much weight it’s designed to support.

You could also use legs directly under the foundation to raise it higher such as the universal bedlegs here.

She may be comfortable providing a range but the more accurate the information you provide to SleepEZ the better they will be able to help you whether it’s suggesting an initial combination or for making suggestions to rearrange or exchange layers as well if that becomes necessary.

Phoenix

Those bedlegs look like a perfect option if I dump that Ikea frame. I need to look and see if the old frame has that center support leg. I think not. The local Ikea store does have those center support legs in stock though. More decisions…

So I held off ordering tonight as I learned during checkout that I need to call in order to get the 5% MUG discount. No worries, I’ll give them a ring in the morning and get it done. My back problems (not previously mentioned here) will be feeling better in no time I am sure. I will start a new thread with my purchase experience