Kingsdown Latex Mattress Painful

At the beginning of January the husband and I purchased a Kingsdown Oxygen Fire Mattress from Mattress Mattress in Edmonton Alberta. I am very very disappointed as I wake up sore every morning and this mattress is actually worse than our 500 Sealy innerspring purchased from Costco about 5 years ago. I am trying to figure out why this mattress is sooooooo uncomfortable for us. I am a bigger lady, about 200 lbs and 5ft 4 and the husband is about the same weight but 6’ taller. I cannot seem to get comfortable on this mattress and wake up with sore hips and back. I will say that the numbness that I used to experience in my arms has quit, but the pain in the hips and lower back is excruciating… I am trying to determine if the problem is too soft or too hard. The mattress is supposed to have a 6" core of talay, 2" firm latex, 2’ medium, 1" soft, 1’soft talay and then .5" gel memory foam. Any idea as why this composition might be so uncomfortable or suggestion as to the type of firmness of a mattress for this body type would be welcome. We are both side sleepers and the husband is not impressed with this mattress either. We did go to several shops (including smaller shops in Edmonton) and did lie on several other latex mattresses, but many of them were out of our price range.
Any comments would be welcome and if anyone has any ideas if the purchase of a topper or something else might salvage this mattress, I would greatly welcome them.

Thanks

Hi cewashko,

Unfortunately only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to suggest a specific mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), health conditions, individual circumstances, or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) but there is more information about the different types of “symptoms” that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most likely reasons for them in post #2 here that can help you with the detective work that may be involved in identifying the most likely reasons for the “symptoms” you are experiencing.

Based on your comments and description though … if I had to guess I would say that it sounds like your mattress may be too soft and isn’t a suitable match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

If your mattress is too soft then there are some suggestions in post #4 here that may be helpful but in general terms a topper won’t be an effective solution because while a topper can help to soften a mattress that is too firm … the most effective way to firm up a mattress where the comfort layers are too thick/soft is by replacing them with thinner or firmer layers rather than adding a topper which will generally only have a partial or temporary effect (and in some cases can make things worse).

Are you able to exchange your mattress for a different one that would be a better “match” for you?

Phoenix