Know Exactly What I Want - Need Help Finding It

Hi WonkyBent,

You can see my thoughts about a DIY approach in option #3 of post #15 here.

The uncertainty of a DIY approach would be especially true for this type of more complex design because using a mattress instead of just an innerspring as the “base” of your sleeping system would introduce many variables and uncertainties where it would be impossible to predict the outcome because the mattress would include additional layers besides just the innerspring that would have an effect on your final sleeping system. You can also see my thoughts about mattress/topper combinations where you can’t test the specific combination in person in post #2 here.

It would be an interesting approach if you have a “spirit of adventure” as long as your expectations of initial success are realistic and you are comfortable with the learning curve and trial and error that would be involved … and the very real possibility of additional costs that you may incur compared to a finished mattress before your design is complete.

I would also keep in mind that you are working with a “category” of mattresses (an innerspring support core with latex or even latex and microcoil comfort layers) not a specific design that you are using as a “blueprint” and there are hundreds of variations in every mattress category … some of which may work very well for you and some of which may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on.

Phoenix