Lacking mattress information is making purchasing difficult.

Hi Phoenix,

I’ve done a bunch of reading on the forums and your how to buy a mattress write ups, but still have questions:

I’m searching for a mattress that will hopefully last 8-10 years. I previously had an IKEA mattress with 1.5lb polyfoam and had horrible problems with hammock-ing and compression. I’m willing to pay up to $2500 to accomplish this and have found many good contenders at the local sleep shops you’ve recommended. I have a concern though that I am hoping you can help me with: I’m quite interested in the Oregon Mattress Company’s Sequoia Dual Eurotop which has the following specs:

Foam Encased 660 Lura-Flex Coil
Insulator Pad
1100 Pocketed Micro Coil Comfort Layers
1 1/2" Soy Poly Foam (1.8 lb density)
cotton Blended Fabric Cover
Two-Sided and flippable

I’m also interested in OMC’s Madrona Park, 45th Street bedding Woodlawn Firm, 45th Street bedding Whitman firm, but don’t have much information on them. They don’t appear to have a website or contact info anywhere except for Bedrooms and More in Seattle.

From The Sleep Store in Bellevue I am interested in:

The Novopure Nile

Which has 1,020 Bi-level pocket coil system
Ultraplush zoned talalay latex foam-- unknown density or ILD rating.
Ecotex extended life foam.
I have a few concerns about this mattress and being unable to find the specs to compare apples to apples. Manufacturer and sales associate seemed less willing to disclose this information.

My questions:

Is an inch and a half of 1.8lb soy based poly foam under 1100 microcoils in the OMC Sequoia going to last or should I be looking for better quality foams? I am 4’ 10" and 140 lbs and my Husband is 5’ 11" and 169lbs. I have widespread joint pain and a bad right shoulder, so I’m looking for good support along with good cushioning.

The Madrona Park from OMC also has the same poly foam as the Sequoia without the microcoils on top of it. How will this affect the durability of the mattress?

What do you know about Novopure as a brand with regards to durability, satisfaction, and disclosure of materials used?

We are also thinking about visiting Eastside Mattress in Marysville to talk to them about custom beds since we were quite comfortable on the Savvy Rest Talalay with the set up of Medium on top, soft in the middle and firm on the bottom, but didn’t want to pay $3500 for one.

I think those are all the questions I have for now. If I left any info out that would help you in answering my post, feel free to ask.

Samantha

Hi Smccormick22,

Yes … 1.8 lb polyfoam is on the lower end of high quality polyfoam and with only 1.5" it would likely be fine (you can see some of the many factors involved in durability in post #4 here). Microcoils are a good quality and durable component as well and more durable than most of the polyfoam that it typically replaces. In other words … based on the layering you provided … there are no obvious weak links in this mattress. The two sided construction will also increase durability. There would likely also be some kind of foam or softer material over the microcoils in either the mattress or the quilting though which appear to be missing from your description which would also play a role in the durability of the mattress.

I can’t see you on the mattress or feel what you feel so your own careful and objective testing along the lines of the suggestions in post #1 here is the best way to know if alignment/support and pressure relief/comfort is right for you but if it is then the quality/durability of the materials are good.

I would need to know the specifics of the mattress to make any meaningful comments. 1.8 lb polyfoam is a durable material … especially in a two sided construction but the layer thickness and the IFD of the polyfoam as well as the position of the layer in the mattress design will also make a difference.

45th Street Bedding is a member of the forum and as you can see in one of their responses here they understand the concepts that are written about throughout this site. The website for 45th street bedding is here and they are closely connected to Bedrooms and More.

[quote]The Novopure Nile

Which has 1,020 Bi-level pocket coil system
Ultraplush zoned talalay latex foam-- unknown density or ILD rating.
Ecotex extended life foam.
I have a few concerns about this mattress and being unable to find the specs to compare apples to apples. Manufacturer and sales associate seemed less willing to disclose this information.[/quote]

Again I would need to know the specifics of each layer (and the density and thickness of the Ecotex foam) to make any meaningful comments. Talalay latex and the microcoils are both high quality durable materials but knowing the weak link of a mattress depends on knowing all the layers.

Novopure and Novosleep are brand names of Novo Textiles which is a sister company to Restwell in Surrey which is also a Spring Air licensee, a Comfort Solutions licensee, and manufactures the Ironman mattress as well.

A brand name has nothing to do with the quality, durability, or suitability of a mattress because ay specific mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of which manufacturer’s label is on the mattress. In my experience they are not fully transparent about the materials in their mattress so it would depend on the specifics of each mattress (see post #8 here).

a forum search on novopure You can just click this) will bring up more information and a forum search on Restwell will also bring up more information about them although you will need to scan through the results about another “Restwell” in Minnesota.

Eastside Mattress would certainly be worth a visit and are one of the better options in the Seattle area.

Phoenix