Last Elements: In-State / Out-of-State Store Policies & Warranties

With help from TMU, we are down to two TMU endorsed member stores to choose from. All components of their latex beds are pretty much on par with each other, with a couple of exceptions. One is more local to us w/out organic wool option in their organic bed but throwing in organic sheets, and the other is out-of-state w/ organic wool option in their organic bed throwing in natural sheets. Besides that, their policies & warranties are the main elements that seem to differentiate them from each other. Based on those facts and the policy & warranty info below, which store would be the more optimal choice?

In-state We have already visited and we wouldn’t have to deal with shipping/handling fees as we’d have the option to drive it to and from.
The more local store has the following warranty from their site:
[i]90 Day Layer Exchange
Because our ultimate goal is that you buy a mattress that fits your needs, within 90 days of the invoice date, you may exchange one layer of latex. The cost for return shipping will be only $65.00. We will ship a new layer to you at no additional cost. This is a one time exchange only. This is how it works:

1. You sleep on the mattress for 30 days to allow your body to adjust to your new sleeping surface.
  2. After 30 days, you have 60 days to contact us and request a layer exchange.
  3. We will ship a new layer to you, along with a return label for your exchange.
  4. You ship the old layer in the box where your new layer was received and adhere the return label to the box.
    90 Day Return Policy
    We also offer a 90 day full refund on our Natural Comfort latex mattresses only. We ask that you sleep on the mattress for at least 30 days to allow your body to properly adjust to the mattress. If after 30 days you feel that the mattress does not meet your needs, you may return it for a full refund. You will be charged a $99 return fee if you use our boxes and return labels. There are no restocking fees.
    All sales are final and non-returnable on foundations and bed clothes items such as, mattress toppers, pillows, mattress protectors, and mattress sheets.
    If any of these items are given as a gift at the time of purchase and the mattress is returned. The refund will be the purchase price of the mattress minus the retail price of the gift(Free) items.
    30 Year Non Pro-Rated Warranty (For Latex Mattresses)
    We warrant it’s handcrafted, exclusively designed mattress to the original purchaser against defects in workmanship and materials, excluding the fabric cover, when properly supported by its original base. This warranty does not extend to bends, burns, tears, soil, normal wear and tear, or the results of abuse not caused by us.
    Should the mattress fail to meet the provisions of this warranty, the purchaser may return it to us at the purchaser’s expense. We will inspect the mattress and if found to be defective will, at its discretion, repair or replace the mattress at no charge to the purchaser during the warranty period. We may substitute like-quality materials if the original materials are no longer available. Transportation of the repaired or replaced mattress is the sole responsibility of the purchaser. A center-supported bed frame or bedstead must be used for the queen or king mattress or this warranty is void.
    Our Warranty does not cover the following:
  5. The fabric mattress cover if provided.
  6. Slight body impressions (less than 1 inch)
  7. Comfort preference.
  8. Transportation charges for return and shipping when necessary.
  9. Abuse or unsanitary conditions.
  10. When the mattress used on an inappropriate foundation or box spring.[/i]

Out-of-state Can’t visit and we would have to pay the shipping/handling, but we would like an all organic bed (i.e., organic cotton & wool).
That store has the following warranty from their site:
[i]90-Day Comfort Exchange
Select Sleep Mattresses
In order to take the risk out of selecting the right mattress, we have a 90-day layer swap out policy on latex mattresses. For your first layer swap out we reduce the cost of shipping to a modest $30 charge for any location in the contiguous U.S. For mattresses with split layers, you can send one or both sides of a layer at the same cost, if they are shipped at the same time.
To make sure you are not inconvenienced in any way, the procedure is as follows:

• Notify us of the desired firmness with our over the phone assistant.
  • We ship you a brand new layer of your desired firmness along with a shipping label for your return layer.
  • Return the layer you no longer need, in the same box we shipped your replacement layer in.
  • You will need to place the provided shipping label on the box and drop it off at any Fed EX shipping center.
  • The replacement layer is taken from production. All layers are brand new.
  • The 90-day comfort exchange starts from the first day you receive your mattress.
  • Shipping for the first exchanged layer is $30. The purchaser is responsible the full cost of shipping for any additional layer exchanges. Any layer exchanges done 90 days or more after receiving your mattress would be the actual cost of purchasing the raw latex layers.
  • Exchange layers must be free from dirt, stains, tears, and odors to qualify for an exchange.
    Returns
    Select Sleep Mattresses
    Please keep your shipping boxes should you have to return merchandise.
    Within 90 days of receiving your mattress, if you are not satisfied, you may return it with no questions asked. You will be charged a $99.00 return fee if you use our boxes and return label. Please note: If you use an oversized box or if you ship your order back in more boxes than we shipped the order out with, we will have to charge you the actual cost of any additional fees.
    If you need to purchase shipping boxes, call (480) 966-8731 to get box dimension approval.
    The mattress and layers inside must be free from dirt, stains, tears, and odors to qualify for a return.
    Warranties
    Manufacturer’s Mattress Warranty
  • Our mattresses are designed to last for many years with proper care. This does not include components purchased individually.
  • If you purchased one of our mattresses that can open, you will see the latex and all its imperfections. You may find air voids, discoloration, or small tears or cracks (less than 3 inches). Also, latex turns yellow and begins to soften slowly as it ages. These occurrences are normal, and are a natural property of latex, and the manufacturing process that creates the latex layers. The warranty does not apply to the normal properties of latex.
  • The warranty allows for a 1.5" impression in the latex, not associated with a faulty foundation, box spring, platform, or cover.
  • Our mattresses are intended to perform on non-spring foundations. Using a platform such as an adjustable base or slatted foundation, with slats placed no more than 3 inches apart, is recommended. Foundations with springs will cause premature breakdown of the latex and will not be covered under warranty.
    20-Year Limited Mattress Warranty
  • We cover the first ten years unconditionally against manufacturing defects in the latex. The purchaser will not pay for the repair or replacement of a component; however, they are responsible for all shipping costs.
  • We do not cover components purchased separately.
  • After the 10th year, there is a prorated cost to repair or replace the mattress components. A repair in the 11th year will cost 50% of the original cost of the mattress. Each year after that will increase by 5% in cost. (12th year 55%, 13th year 60%, 14th year 65%, 15th year 70%, 16th year 75%, 17th year 80%, 18th year 85%, 19th year 90%, 20th year 95%.)
  • Our representative or skilled technician shall make the final determination regarding repair or replacement. Should this warranty be exercised and your product replaced or repaired, the warranty will not be extended or renewed.
  • Raw latex exposed to direct sunlight will void the warranty.
  • Sleep EZ is not responsible for any damage caused by spills, burns, accidents, growth of mold, or other acts of nature.
  • The warranty does not cover misuse, laundered, or normal wear and tear. Do not machine wash or dry the cover. We recommend you spot clean with a soft brush and mild detergent. Allow to air dry completely.
  • Stains on mattress will void all warranties due to bedding law regulations.
  • Please retain all original receipts or invoices to provide proof of purchase.
  • Authorization from the factory to return products must be obtained prior to return.
  • Pillows are a non-returnable item.
  • Sleep EZ will repair or replace the item if it is found to be defective due to structural defects within the 20 years.
    Mattress Covers
    We provide a 1-year warranty for the cover from the date of purchase. It applies to defects in material or workmanship and is not part of the 20-year warranty. Do not machine wash or dry the cover. We recommend you spot clean with a soft brush and mild detergent. Allow to air dry completely.
    Foundation
    The foundation has a 1-year warranty against defects in materials or workmanship, and we will repair or replace at our cost based on our assessment of defect or damage.
    Adjustable Foundations
    All warranty issues should be handled by the adjustable base manufacturer.
    Toppers
    Our latex toppers are not covered under warranty because we have no way of ensuring that the topper will not be used for camping and other activities that will cause the latex to become dirty, wet, etc. leading to premature breakdown.
    Components
    All sales on mattress components, including raw latex layers, mattress covers, pillows, sheets, and mattress protectors are final. These items are not covered by any warranty.
    [/i]

THANK YOU!

Hi wenisleep,

In this situation, you’re really choosing between “good” and “good”. Every mattress purchase though includes more than just the “material value” of the mattress and all the many tradeoffs involved in the mattress itself as well as all the other options and services that are part of every mattress purchase are all part of what I call your “personal value equation” . There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but in the end everyone will need to decide what is most important to them and attach a “value” to all the objective, subjective, and intangible factors that are part of any final decision. There is no “best and worst” any longer at this point … only best for YOU.

Some people do place a premium on staying more “local”. Others place more importance on the componentry combined with a good company history, local or otherwise. Both Flexus and SleepEZ offer quality products and offer exceptional customer service, and as you already mentioned, they are both members here of the site, which means that I also think highly of them.

Regarding the importance of organic certifications, this is also part of your value equation. Many people that are looking for an “organic” mattress or materials are usually concerned more with “safety” than whether the materials have an actual organic certification and they usually aren’t aware that an organic certification isn’t the same thing as a safety certification. There is more information about the three different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and some of the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

Both brands you’re considering offer comparable comfort exchange policies, and I usually consider 30 days to be adequate for most people to determine if they need to make a change in comfort. As for warranties, in general the are not nearly as important to me as knowing the materials, because the reason most people need to replace a mattress is not a manufacturing defect but the loss of comfort and/or support which is not covered by a warranty. Knowing the materials in a mattress will tell you how long the original qualities of a mattress will last relative to other types of materials, and both of the brands you’re considering use very high quality materials and their warranties are much longer than you would most likely use the mattress. I speak to warranties in much more detail in post #174 here.

Even with good or great mattresses, to choose between finalists is not always easy, especially when it involves a combination of objective, subjective, and intangible factors that can be difficult to attach a “value” to or when the differences in “value” between them seems very small. The good news is that your choices are better than what the large majority of people end up purchasing and in terms of quality and value there are really no “bad choices” or “mistakes” left, and when you are at this point and there are no clear winners between your finalists then the odds are high that any one of them would be a good choice that you would be happy with.

Phoenix

Thank you for your detailed response! I truly appreciate your time answering questions on your mattress forum!

In regards to the organic certifications, I’ve noticed that Flexus
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Latex Mattresses, Organic Latex Mattress, Pocket Coil Mattress - Flexus Comfort
& SleepEz
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sleepez.com/certifications/natural-dunlop/latex-green-global-organic-latex-standard.pdf
have identical GOLS certificates issued to Latex Green on their website whereas, companies like Organicpedic/Lifekind (https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5762d2db725e25700c1f5a79/t/58bd7628e4fcb597a24dccdc/1488811596508/C823400GOLS-01.2017.pdf), Naturepedic (http://www.naturepedic.com/media/wysiwyg/PDFs/GOLS_CU_Certificate-2017.pdf), and Soaring Heart (Global Organic Latex Standard Certified Latex - Soaring Heart Natural Bed Company) have GOLS certification issued directly to them. I might also add that Savvy Rest
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: savvyrest.com/sites/default/files/C815081GOLS-03.2016.pdf
and Sleep Organic (attachment not working) have GOLS certificates issued to Cocolatex but they aren’t identical. Do you know why this is? I know Latex Green & Cocolatex are a couple of the major manufacturers of latex but I’m not sure why certain companies don’t have the certification issued directly to them and others do.

Yes, both companies have comparable policies but not sure why Flexus has 30 non-prorated and Sleep Ez has 20 prorated. A rep at Sleep Ez told me that latex manufacturers only back warranties at max 20 years.

Do you have posts you can refer me to regarding details specifically about organic wool that narrows down the search to the benefits (if any)? I’m researching about that and the knitting/quilting/ticking/stitching on the top part of the mattress. I read that organic cotton that is of a stretchy knitted quilting w/ diamond stitching is best for latex? I also heard that we should ask if the organic cotton is 100% organic through and through (front, fill, back) because the industry standard for organic cotton is 1) Organic Top; 2) Polyester Fill; and 3) Unbleached cotton backing?

Lastly, according to industry experts and consumers would you provide the top companies that are on par with OMI/Lifekind, essentially using the same materials, quality, and certifications without the price tag? Is Flexus & Sleep Ez on that list?

Thanks (so much) in advance!!

Hi wenisleep,

[quote]In regards to the organic certifications, I’ve noticed that Flexus ( www.flexuscomfort.com/untitled1.html ) & SleepEz
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sleepez.com/certifications/natural-d...c-latex-standard.pdf
have identical GOLS certificates issued to Latex Green on their website[/quote]

These are for the latex foam layers/components that both companies use.

[quote]Organicpedic/Lifekind
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: static1.squarespace.com/static/5762d2db7...3400GOLS-01.2017.pdf
, Naturepedic ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: naturepedic.com/media/wysiwyg/PDFs/G...Certificate-2017.pdf
, and Soaring Heart ( Global Organic Latex Standard Certified Latex - Soaring Heart Natural Bed Company ) have GOLS certification issued directly to them.[/quote]

These are for finished products that these particular manufacturers make. If you read the second page of each certification (Soaring Heart’s isn’t posted on their site) it shows the completed items that have the GOLS certification, not just the layers within the product that are certified. The new Global Organic Standard ( GOLS) 3.0 can certify both the organic latex foam (made with a 95% latex rubber sap content from organic certified rubber tree plantations ) used within a product, and it can also certify the entire finished product such as a mattress or pillow that meets the certifications standards using an “organic” latex core or foam layer.

[quote]Savvy Rest ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: savvyrest.com/sites/default/files/C815081GOLS-03.2016.pdf
and Sleep Organic (attachment not working) have GOLS certificates issued to Cocolatex but they aren’t identical[/quote]

The Savvy Rest certificate is for the latex componentry they get from Cocolatex. Did you mean Sleeping Organic for the other company? If so, you’d have to provide a link to the page on their web site you’re mentioning showing/linking to their certificate (I’m guessing it must be posted somewhere as you mentioned they don’t match). I can’t speak to what the certificates cover without seeing the other one you’re referencing.

The certification applies to either the latex foam componentry or the finished product. If a company is applying for the GOLS 3.0 certification on the finished product, that certification would be issued to the finished manufacturer, not the manufacturer of the componentry used within the mattress.

I linked to quite a bit of information regarding mattress warranties in my previous reply and how a longer warranty isn’t an indicator of a “better” product. A manufacturer can choose to offer any sort of warranty time frame they desire for their finished product, regardless of how long their component suppliers guarantee to them the layers used within their product. As I mentioned in the previous reply link, I personally would be happy with a 5 year warranty (against manufacturing defects) if I knew the materials could last me 15 - 20 years (like in the products you’re mentioning) … but of course the vast majority of consumers would believe that a mattress with a 5 year warranty was an inferior mattress. There’s a good Beducation video about mattress warranties here.

I don’t have a specific topic where I talk about this. Post # 3 here lists quite a few wool manufacturers with whom I am impressed and I consider them excellent resources, and a phone call to any of them can result in some of the reasons they decide to carry or not carry GOTS certified wool. Shepherd’s Dream speaks a bit about the difference between Eco Wool and “organic” wool on their FAQ page, and they are a good resource for what can be a complicated topic. For some people, having an organic certification is more of a lifestyle choice, even if a “natural” wool can be produced in the exact same manner but hasn’t gone through the certification process, and there is plenty of “non-organic” wool that is of very high quality.

This would be a personal comfort preference choice. Some people prefer a ticking that is more flexible that allows for more of the point elasticity of the latex to “show thorough”. Some prefer a thicker canvas-like covering. A tighter quilt pattern can result in a firmer compressing of the wool quilted to the ticking, while a tack and jump or channel quilt can allow for more loft of the wool quilted underneath. There really is no one “best” configuration. Just what’s best for you.

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what “industry standard” you’re referencing, but a ticking can be made using organic certified cotton but then contain other materials, or it can be made with organic certified cotton and then the completed ticking can also be GOTS certified. If you’d like to read more about the GOTS standard, you can do so here.

There is no such list. There are many manufacturers using the same/similar high quality componentry as those brands, including, but not limited to, many of the site members listed here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
The mattress hunt is all consuming, confusing, and overwhelming so any clarity you can bring is very much appreciated.

Thanks for confirming what the certs indicate (I’m always learning), but while I can gather what it says, I guess I just didn’t know if having a certificate directly issued to a company vs. to the manufacturer/supplier was preferred, more ethical, and/or better business practice. Or if the companies that have their certificates issued directly just happen to be the companies that go the extra mile to get their certifications? For instance, an organization like Control Union comes in directly and inspects and verifies that everything meets the GOLS/GOTS standards. I’ve had reps from OrganicPedic & Naturepedic warn me about “Greenwashing” and that there may be red flags for certain companies that don’t have their certification issued to them directly because you can’t verify their supply chain, etc. Am I making sense? :ohmy:

Companies are allowed to use the same identical certificates from the manufacture/supplier and there isn’t anything illegal or unethical about this correct? How does one confirm the companies actually got their products from the manufacturer/supplier? Check with the manufacturer/supplier? Should there be labels/law tags to look out for or request?

I believe in and I’m looking for organic, green & sustainable companies. Would you recommend some? I know CozyPure was one (FYI - they have their GOTS cert issued directly to them but not GOLS :))…

Many Thanks,
W

Hi wenisleep,

It’s none of those things. If a latex foam producer chooses to have their latex go through a certification process (in this case you’ve been referencing GOLS), that would be their own personal marketing philosophy as to whether or not they wished to have that particular certification on the latex they are producing. They know that for some people having this certification (which is not a certification against harmful substances or VOCs or quality) is important to their personal preference, so the extra cost involved in obtaining this certification may be worth it to them.

An organic certification has little to nothing to do with the quality or performance of a product (it’s virtually identical to the same material that doesn’t have an organic certification) even though it adds to the cost of a product. It also doesn’t test the final product for harmful substances or VOC’s (although of course an organic product would generally be considered as safe … there is nothing to “prove” it) so it would require a second certification (such as Eco-Institut or Oeko-Tex) to confirm that there are no harmful substances or VOC’s in the final product. There are many people in the industry that question the “value” of an organic certification vs the same material that doesn’t have an organic certification and in the industry as a whole I think that there are many more people that are concerned with the “safety” of a mattress than whether it has an organic certification. In the end, it’s about what is the most important to you.

If a latex foam manufacturer meets the GOLS standard, then that particular foam would be listed under the GOLS certificate awarded that specific latex foam manufacturer. If a mattress manufacturer then chooses to use a GOLS-certified foam in their mattress, they should show a certificate showing from whom they received the latex and that the latex is indeed GOLS certified if they are advertising it as such. The certificate for the latex foam layer would not be issued to the mattress manufacturer, as they did not produce the latex foam. The certificate is the property of the company who actually produced the latex foam. This GOLS certificate is related to the componentry – the latex layer – used within a mattress.

Under the new GOLS 3.0 guidelines, a mattress manufacturer may choose to produce a product that as a completed mattress meets the GOLS 3.0 guidelines for a completed product, and in this case the mattress manufacturer may choose for their own reasons to go through the extra work and expense to see if they can meet the GOLS 3.0 guidelines for a completed product certification. And if they meet those guidelines, they would be issued a GOLS certificate and that would be in the name of the mattress manufacturer, not the latex foam provider, as this particular GOLS certification would be for the completed product. So in reality you could have a mattress using latex layers that are GOLS certified from the latex mattress company that created the latex, and then the finished product could have a separate GOLS certification issued to the mattress manufacturer that covers the completed mattress product. Confusing, right?

The type of certificate isn’t a manner of preference, but instead one of proper applicability. It also isn’t a disparagement upon a company if they choose not to produce a product that qualified for GOLS certification, nor is it a negative reflection upon the company if they create a mattress which could theoretically pass GOLS standards but they choose not to go through the expense and time of achieving this certification.

The companies authorized to perform third-part verification of standards like GOLS and GOTS only visit a latex foam or mattress manufacturing company if they are invited by that company because the company wishes to pursue such a certification.

If a company is using foams that have a certification, whether it be GOLS or Oeko-Tex or eco-Institut or Cradle to Cradle, they should show or produce the certificate verifying such a certification, which would be issued to the company producing the foam, not the company manufacturing the mattress, for the reasons I described above. Stating that the only companies that can be trusted are those who have completed products that are GOLS certified as a completed mattress would be inaccurate, self-serving and fear mongering on the part of the companies making such claims. That’s not to say that there haven’t been disreputable companies making false claims of “organic” this and that (I’ve seen it with memory foam and polyfoam!), but the majority of companies making latex products are reputable and have a history of being such.

I don’t understand how you would consider that either illegal or unethical. A foam manufacturer sells their products to hundreds of different companies. If that foam is GOLS certified, the mattress manufacturer would want to show proof of such that they are indeed using GOLS certified foam. It’s not a statement of the completed mattress being certified, but of the mattress using some componentry that is GOLS certified and as such shows the mattress manufacturer to be transparent about the componentry they are using.

You would trust the history and reputation of the company and the fact that they are willing to provide the certificate of the foam that is being used. But there is no hologram or stamp on the latex that proves it as such (and even if there was that of course could be fabricated). Like so many things, there is no 100% certainty.

You can take a look through the site members listed here as a start, but I don’t keep a listing of all brands that maintain various GOTS and GOLS certifications, which is now a changing landscape with the ability to certify the completed product. Personally, I put more stock in the safety certifications than “organic” ones, but as I mentioned earlier it’s what’s most important to you that matters most.

I hope that helps to clarify things for you.

Phoenix

It CERTAINLY does clarify. Thank YOU!!

Hi wenisleep,

I’m glad my explanation was helpful and more descriptive for you!

Phoenix