Latex Allergies

Hi dn,

Good point! I have not be officially tested for a wool allergy. I wear wool sweaters & long underwear. And I have been sleeping under a wool comforter for about a year.

I did just add the wool topper from St Peter’s Woolen Mill, so it’s possible that it played a role. It is now wrapped up in storage while we complete our “experiment”.

Thanks for your feedback!

Hi buttercupbetty,

Sounds like a very scary experience you had. The topper might have been manufactured with a slightly different chemical mix that you are more sensitive to than the stuff in the core. After an experience like that you are very wise to get rid of the latex. Although we can’t be certain it was a reaction to the latex or the chemicals in it seems likely that is was one of them, particularly since you are often exposed to wool.

I should mention that your experiences have contributed to the forum. Sounds like you very thoroughly tested the samples the companies sent to see if they could trigger a latex allergy. People need to be aware that the latex samples the companies send might not enable them to detect an allergic response before purchasing. This could be very important to others with chemical sensitivities who are considering latex.

I would be interested to hear the lab test results. Although not definitive, any more data would helpful in trying to determine exactly what caused the reaction. This would enable others to make a better guess as to whether it was the latex that caused the reaction.

Glad you are feeling better,
Ty

buttercupbetty - so sorry you got so very ill! That sounds frightening, to say the least.

I’d be starting to get rid of things that might be the cause, too.

I hope you feel all better soon.

Thank you Clawdia!

I am feeling much better today. Latex was just moved out and someone will come and wipe everything down tomorrow. Then I’ll probably go back into my bedroom on Tuesday :cheer:

Now to find a new mattress…

My doctors office just called. They cannot find any antibodies that indicate I have a true latex allergy.

We have an appointment in two weeks to discuss. It could be I was reacting to something else in the latex mattress, but we may never know.

Hi buttercupbetty,

That’s good news (true latex allergies are not fun) but as you mentioned it does leave the mystery about what you were reacting to. Very strange.

Phoenix

Hi all, I know I am a little late to the party on this discussion thread but I wanted to share with you what I have learned and experienced in the hopes that it would help you.

I have a severe type IV contact dermatitis allergy to rubber accelerants. Rubber accelerants are used in the manufacture of many foam products, including latex. There is a skin patch test that tests you for a variety of common sensitivities all at one time. I recommend it so you can quickly find out the specific things that you are sensitive to, rather than testing each one at a time. This is the quickest way to determine what you are reacting to.

In the meantime, I highly recommend (and you have already probably come to the same conclusion) that you avoid all products that give you any reaction at all. This is because our reactions over time will gradually increase in severity. A type IV (skin) versus a type I (systemic) reaction is only a degree of severity. Eventually type IV reactions can develop into type I reactions, resulting in anaphylactic shock with continued exposure. When you experienced difficulty in breathing that is the indication that you are on your way to developing a type I allergy.

A summary from my allergist:

• Classifications of allergies, type IV versus type I, are based on levels of severity in the body’s reaction to exposure. They are not different allergies. You can start at one level and over time graduate to the next with continued exposure.

• The rubber accelerants are highly transferable. You do not have to have direct contact with the particle. For example, if your latex mattress touches your wool coverlet, and then the coverlet touches you, you will get a reaction. (That is the case with me.) Layers of fabric do not block transfer. Only plastic does.

• Washing the offending item does not necessarily remove the allergen. (Unfortunately, I learned this by personal experience. Vinegar in the rinse water helps neutralize it some.)

• To date there is no cure for this allergy. Solution is always complete avoidance as much possible. Corticosteroids can treat skin reactions, epi pens treat systemic reactions.

For more information on latex allergies please visit this website: Rubber accelerator contact allergy | DermNet

That said, if I could sleep on latex I would love it. IMO latex is the still the most comfortable and supportive material there is. I have not given up my search to find a latex mattress that is made without rubber accelerants.

Phoenix, can you help me? The mattress suppliers I contact have no idea of the chemicals used in vulcanization of the latex, so I am at a loss how to proceed. The organic-labeled mattresses I have found are organically grown latex, but still processed the same way. Am I looking for the magic unicorn?

Thankyou for this website. It is a Godsend.

if someone had an allergy to latex would blended latex be a better option? i never worried about latex till now LOL we use latex gloves for ointment application etc and never had a problem though i am not sure that means much

Hi Happy.gal,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!:slight_smile:

You’re welcome to post at any time, and I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I’m sorry to hear about your reaction to rubber accelerants. Thank you for providing the links and information about your situation.

Although I’ve linked to it before in other areas of the site (but it gives me a chance to provide it here again, thank you), from the American Latex Allergy Association, there are three types of clinical reactions that occur to a finished natural rubber product (I know this isn’t about reactions to rubber accelerants, but more for those who may come across this thread in the future).

[i]1. IgE mediated allergic reactions (Type I) – This allergy may be life threatening and is the clinical problem that clinicians and patients are most concerned about preventing. This reaction is mediated by allergic antibody called IgE directed against retained proteins in latex products. This reaction is triggered by direct skin contact, mucosal surface contact or inhalation. Symptoms include hives, angioedema, rhinitis, conjunctivitis, asthma, or anaphylaxis with or without death.

1. Cell mediated contact dermatitis (Type IV) – This allergy is not life‐threatening but is a major concern for clinicians and patients. This reaction is usually limited to the skin where contact occurs with rubber products. Multiple chemicals used in the manufacturing of latex products may be retained in the finished product. These chemicals include thiuram, carbamate, and mercaptobenzothiazole classes of compounds which are used to accelerate the cross‐linking of isoprene in the manufacturing process. This contact dermatitis is a delayed type immune reaction mediated by T‐cell lymphocytes that occurs with exposure to these chemicals and may take 24‐48 hours to develop from the time of exposure to reaction. Symptoms of a rash with erythema, papules, vesiculation, and oozing are characteristic. Because the contact is usually repetitive, the rash may develop into a chronic problem and may even extend beyond the site of contact. It is important to note that this delayed‐type contact allergy to chemicals may occur concurrently with IgE mediated allergic latex allergy.

2. Irritant dermatitis – Individuals who use rubber products frequently (e.g. health care workers who wear gloves) are subject to developing irritant dermatitis. This dermatitis is different from contact dermatitis. It is not mediated by an immune system sensitization and reaction. Rather, it is caused by frequent skin washing, sweating, and or irritation from powder lubricants from persistent irritant contact. This rash may be itchy but most commonly is dry, erythematous, and accompanied by skin cracking. There are rarely papules, vesiculation, or oozing of the skin. It never extends beyond the point of contact with the offending irritant.[/i]

Wikipedia has good articles about the difference between something that is a Type I hypersensitivity and a Type IV. The Type I with latex can be initiated via skin contact, inhalation, mucosal contact or ingestion and is antibody mediated. The Type IV is most often skin contact and is cell mediated.

There is a really good article from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America here about the differences in the Type I and Type IV latex allergies.

As you are aware, all latex (Dunlop or Talalay) uses other chemical ingredients besides just the liquid rubber to make the foam which includes gelling agents, curing agents, soaps, accelerators, fillers in some cases, antioxidants, and other ingredients in their formula. The specific formula that each latex manufacturer uses is proprietary and a closely guarded secret, and as such I wouldn’t have access to the accelerants used from each manufacturer, except having the knowledge that they are indeed used as part of the process. The suppliers of latex generally wouldn’t have knowledge of these chemicals, and if you were looking to have a more complete discussion your best bet would be to deal directly with one of the latex foam pourers. In the USA, you may wish to contact Talalay Global or Mountain Top or Latexco, but I’m not sure how specific they would be willing to be with you regarding actual chemicals, but perhaps they could put you in contact with one of their chemists because of your unique situation. While I’m not a chemist, I was scanning through this article a few weeks ago about a latex foam being experimented with using a peroxide-based compounding formulation that doesn’t seem to use an accelerant, but as the researchers note, there is no one producing latex in this manner commercially. Unfortunately, personally, I’m not aware of what you’re trying to find.

Phoenix

Hi Ari,

If someone was sensitive to the proteins in latex, these proteins would still be present in blended latex (it can even be present in small amounts in synthetic latex). Sometimes people in the health-care field or those who use latex rubber gloves can develop a contact dermatitis (Type IV) reaction from frequent use of hand sanitizers, the powder in rubber gloves or from frequent hand washing with incomplete drying.

There is a really good article from the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America here that describes the types of latex allergies.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix,
Thank you so much for your imformative link on the classes of allergies…I stand corrected.

Also, thank you for giving me a starting place to look in finding a solution. I will contact the foam manufacturers.

a Hopeful-gal

Hi Happy.gal,

I’ll be interesting in learning about your findings!

Phoenix

(I sent this on 6/5/17 by PM, but for your convenience, am reposting it here.)

Hi Phoenix,
I contacted the foam manufacturers as you suggested to determine the presence of rubber accelerators in mattresses. Only Mountain Top foam kindly replied for which I am grateful. (Bob Quikstad, Director of Sales and Marketing). Basically he said their products did contain the specific allergans and would expect all the other manufactures to do so also. So there are to date no foam products I can use, poly or otherwise, as they all contain either carbamate mix or thiuram mix. I am now looking into buckwheat hulls as even innerspring mattresses have a foam comfort layer. I will see if there is anything on the site regarding the same.

Thank you so much for providing specific leads for me to follow. I appreciate your dedication to educating us.

Elizabeth

P.S. Ignore the trolls out there… one can’t make everybody happy!
Recall message

Hi Happy.gal,

Thanks for posting the results of your conversation with Mountain Top Foam. I do think highly of them and I’m happy that Bob was able to take some time to answer your questions, even though the answer was unfortunately what we expected.

Feel free to post back with any other replies you may receive. You may also wish to contact Radium in the Netherlands regarding the Talalay that Latexco distributes here domestically.

Phoenix

Hi,

I submitted a post on May 29, 2019 (Safe mattress for Environmental Sensitivities/Multiple Chemical Sensitivities – https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/safe-mattress-for-environmental-sensitivities-multiple-chemical-sensitivities), where I’m looking for a mattress that does NOT contain latex, because I AM sensitive to latex.

I have the disability of Environmental Sensitivities (ES)/Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS). While I’m not sure if I have a “true” latex allergy, or if I’m just “sensitive” to latex, due to my ES/MCS, I do know that I have problems with latex.

I can touch latex products without a problem (no hives, rashes, etc.), but I CANNOT inhale the fumes in latex products – whether it’s “natural” or “organic” latex. I can put on a pair of rubber gloves with no skin reactions, but as soon as I put the gloves anywhere near my face OR take off the gloves and hold my hands near my face, I have problems breathing. I’ve tried using a Talalay latex pillow from Sleep Country, and have received a sample of Obasan’s natural organic latex from their mattresses to “test out”. Even after months of allowing these products to air out and off-gas, I still could not bring the Obasan sample anywhere near my face; the pillow was so horribly strong, that I had to get rid of it, because the fumes – despite being off-gassed in my storage room – were permeating my entire apartment, making me nauseous and dizzy, and causing me breathing problems.

Even when a mattress is covered by material (before I became so disabled with ES/MCS, I had purchased a regular store-bought mattress), whether using a mattress protector, bed bug cover, or several sheets and blankets (I used a combination of all of these!!!), once the body heats up the mattress, the fumes leach out of the mattress, through the layers of materials, into my clothing, and into my body. To this day, I still have problems with the fumes leaching out of my mattress, which is likely why I am stuffed up every single night, and have respiratory problems. My mattress is fourteen years old!!!

I don’t know if my sensitivity to latex is CAUSED BY me sleeping on a latex mattress all my life, or if this is just one more “chemical” I don’t tolerate, due to my disability of ES/MCS. I am sensitive to ANY chemical that off-gasses VOC’s, and a host of other foods and plants (many that cross-react with latex, including marijuana – which causes me MULTIPLE health problems from just seconds of inhaling my neighbours’ smoke) that make life extremely challenging, especially when living in a multi-unit dwelling.

I do know that many people who have the disability of ES/MCS also have sensitivities to latex – but we are all different (i.e., we are not all sensitive to the same chemicals, or sensitive to the same degree – one person may have no problem, one may have mild skin reactions, or another may not be able to be in the same room with latex without an Epi pen handy!!!).

I hope this info helps. Feel free to ask any more questions if you’re interested.

craftyruthie

Hi craftyruthie,

Thanks for the information about your particular sensitivity to Latex. Although I would take issue with how you characterize " off-gassing" and some other points, it’s neither here or there, you definitely should not purchase a latex mattress / pillow / topper natural or synthetic.

As a point of fact latex allergies, (not commenting on your “sensitivity”), this is more for our regular TMU consumers. Here is a very good thread on latex allergies,which I know Mario from MFC, who is a great TMU expert member, also sent this link.

Thanks again for your post, I know it is a very difficult thing to find a mattress without chemicals that you are sensitive to. Good luck.

Sensei