Latex allergy

I have mild Latex allergies and was wondering if that meant I had to buy an organic Latex free mattress OR the bedding is generally a good enough barrier. I realize, of course, you aren’t a doctor and don’t pretend to be one. I love that I found this forum.

Hi terrilynnrandall,

There is more about the different types of latex allergies or sensitivities in post #2 here but in most cases (unless you have a more severe type I allergy and carry an epipen) a latex allergy isn’t an issue with the type of latex that is used in mattresses and because there is no actual contact with the latex itself.

Phoenix

PS: did you mean to post some comments in your post here (you can just edit the post to add your comments if you wish) or was it an accidental post (in which case I can just delete it)?

There are new mattresses coming out soon that use latex that has had the common allergy-causing proteins removed from it. You may want to check it out. Here is info on the latex itself. I believe the mattresses will be made my Gold Bond.

http://www.vytex.com/Consumers/default.aspx

Thanks, I will,

Hi Phoenix.
Please delete it. I am just learning Forums and I thank you all for your insights. You are an amazing wealth of information. You’ve made me think of questions I didn’t know I had. Who da thunk. I am so looking forward to some good sleep and better mornings…and you are so right. it is a big purchase.and a big deal if you live with pain. I want to get it right… Armed with a little knowledge . Thanks Phoenix.

Hi terrilynnrandall,

No problem … I just deleted it.

Thanks for the kind comments as well … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Ian going “testing"this weekend. We do have a local place that makes them to your specifications and have a year to Mattress Mill. They have a good name locally. All good. I was thinking I needed a Memory foam type and now am sure I don’t. I like sleeping"on top” of the mattress. Not sunk in. I have fractured vertebra in my upper back and bone spurs in my hips. I am too darn fat and getting older. I lay my head down with a sigh because i can stretch out and defy gravity, to a point. I wake up so crippled I can’t touch my ankles even. I know now that is lack of support. I need cush for the bones spurs so…I am thinking Latex Core support and probably the firmer the better with just enough cush in the top layers. Obviously I am still ignorant but if these people will make the layers how I want them do you have any advice. Side sleeper. Wish I wasn’t for my upper back. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. You do lots of good. :smiley:

Hi terrilynnrandall,

I think a visit to Mattress Mill would be a very good idea and they have a range of mattresses including component latex and latex/innerspring mattresses that would be well worth considering.

The type of support material in a mattress would be a preference and a budget choice but not necessarily a “better/worse” choice. Innersprings and latex can both make great support systems in the right firmness. There is more about innerspring support vs latex support in post #28 here and the posts it links to but I would choose between them based on careful testing and based on your preferences rather than on a predisposition towards thinking that one is necessarily “better” than the other. Even good quality polyfoam can make a good support system for those that are also a little more restricted in terms of their budget. As you mentioned a mattress that has a “firm enough” support system to keep you in good alignment in all your sleeping positions with “just enough” in terms of the thickness and firmness of the comfort layers to relieve pressure in your most pressure prone position (usually side sleeping) is generally the most effective approach.

I don’t have any specific suggestions or advice because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Having said that … your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) along with the guidance that comes from a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer such as Mattress Mill will give you your best chance of success in terms of making the most suitable, the most durable, and the best “value” purchase out of the options they have available.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visit.

Phoenix