Latex back pain

Hi Phoenix,

I was hopeful you could help me.

I spent months looking at mattresses researching on your site and ended up going with an all latex mattress.

I purchased the OMI (Organicpedic) DUO from the Clean Bedroom in Kittery Maine. The comfort layers I selected are firm on the bottom, medium in the middle and soft on the top. My mattress was delivered last Monday. The first night I woke up a little stiff but each night after has become progressively worse. I am waking up in the night with numbness. My neck all the way down to my lower back are killing me. I can’t even sit up in the bed to type this email without discomfort. I’m beyond disappointed, I was sure I had made a really good choice.

Is there anything you could suggest? I’m not sure if it’s too soft for me and not providing enough support, I’m 5’9" 160 pounds. Or is it too firm? I added an inch latex topper I already owned but that hasn’t helped either.

If you can provide any insight, suggestions, I’d be forever grateful.

Thank you

Hi gibo,

The first thing I would suggest is to give it some time (preferably a month or so but at least two weeks) so your mattress can break in a little and to give your body a chance to adjust to a new sleeping surface (see post #3 here).

There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful (such as checking your foundation, your pillows, or the mattress protector or any mattress pad you are using on your mattress).

If you still aren’t sleeping well on the mattress after that then you may need to rearrange your layers or exchange a layer for another one that is either softer or firmer.

If you aren’t sure what changes to make then (keep in mind that nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress) then post #2 here has more about the most common symptoms that people might experience on a mattress and some of the possible causes for them and it would also be a good idea to talk with Clean Bedroom so they can help talk you through the type of changes that may be helpful in more detail.

If you still aren’t certain what to change then some trial and error may be necessary so you can make your mattress either firmer or softer in various ways (either firmer/softer support or transition layers or a firmer/softer top layer) to see which one helps you the most based on your actual sleeping experience. If you decide to make some changes to your mattress I would make them slowly and incrementally and make careful comparisons between each configuration and the last one about how your experience and symptoms changes with each one so you can use changes in your “symptoms” between each combination as a pointer to the layer combination that will work best for you.

Your mattress is “in the range” of the layering that most people would do well with in your weight range but each person is unique and not all people fit the averages.

Phoenix

gibo,

Any luck? I have usually heard that latex is one of the more comfortable mattress choices but I would like to hear if Phoenix’s suggestion of taking time helped or not

Hi SleepforDavis,

There is a SLIGHT improvement.

My back is not as sore but I’m still waking up throughout the night and still feel stiff in the morning. I’ve switched my layers around. I’m now sleeping with medium on the bottom, firm in the middle and soft on top. I’'ll give this setup another week and if it’s not better I’ll add my latex topper to it. Sitting in bed watching tv or on my laptop is still VERY uncomfortable. It doesn’t seem to provide decent support. I don’t have it on the most optimal base and I’m not sure if that’s the culprit. I don’t want to invest in a good base now until I know if I want to keep this mattress or not.

To date, I’m still pretty unhappy with this purchase…

How does it feel when you put the medium or firm on top of the soft?

I haven’t tried that combination yet. I thought that may make it too hard???

Hi gibo,

I would keep in mind that a mattress isn’t designed to support the more concentrated weight of sitting … only the more evenly distributed weight of lying down. This is especially true of more “point elastic” materials such as latex or memory foam. If you spend time sitting or “propped up” on your mattress then it may be an idea to consider an adjustable bed or a wedge that can support some of your body weight under your back.

I’m not sure what type of support system you have under your mattress but if it has any flex then it can make a difference in how your mattress feels and performs. You can get a good sense of what a suitable support system would feel like by either putting your mattress on the floor for a few days or by putting a sheet of plywood under your mattress (if only temporarily … see post #10 here) to see whether there are any improvements.

diynaturalbedding’s suggestion would be well worth trying IMO as well because back stiffness can come from muscles that are working too hard over the course of the night and this can be the result of comfort layers that are either too soft or too firm and sleeping on a firmer sleeping surface will help you clarify the direction you may need to go in terms of firmer or softer.

If I’m reading your feedback correctly it seems that the M/F/S combination was an improvement compared to the F/M/S combination which may be “pointing to” changes in the direction of firmer but you would need to confirm this based on your own experience.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it.

Presently I have my mattress on a Low profile, split queen box spring. It has a diamond shaped metal grid like structure to it rather than slats so I had to put plywood over it to prevent the latex from going into it. I also have a Savy rest bed rug on top of the plywood to allow the latex to breathe.

When I purchased my mattress I intended to buy an adjustable base to go with it. Unfortunately, I later learned that a queen size adjustable would not fit up the stairs so I would need to buy a split queen base. That increased the cost substantially, concerned me that I may feel the split in the middle and also limited my choices in manufacturers. I’m still agonizing over this. I don’t care for the Rize or Tempurpedic bases. I narrowed it down to the Leggett and Platt Prodigy or Scape plus but no one in my area has these models to try. Now that I’m questioning my mattress I don’t know what to do. If I wanted to go back to a regular spring mattress an adjustable base wouldn’t be the best choice.

I do think switching my layers to Soft on top, firm middle and medium on the bottom works better. I will try to switch the layers again to see if the firm on top is best. I bought the m/f split layers and the soft is a solid piece so it’s a “process” switching them around.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Hi gibo,

That sounds fine to me.

I would avoid making changes that are such a big “jump” from the previous combination and I would suggest making smaller incremental changes so if you wanted to try firming up your sleeping surface I would start with the medium on top before trying the firm.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I will do that, medium first.

Thanks!