Latex Bed Odor/smell concern

Went through different posts in the forum in last few days and thanks to all involved for this excellent resource on mattresses.

We are looking for a Cal King mattress. Went to Sleepys at first, they have a sleep option (CL2800) latex (Dunlop, 20ILD) for ~1299 (which Walmart sells for ~1029) that we liked (optimum price-comfort). So, I started looking at latex related bed. Unfortunately there is not many decent mattress places, here, in upstate new york (Newburgh, NY).

After reading the materials here- I am inclined towards ordering from sleepez 8" Three Layer mattress (reading this site seems like default is 20 ILD TL + 30 ILD DL + 40 ILD DL). Our preference is firm, key concern is we have a two months old and wary of smell. Is that a concern from sleepez latex’s? I assumed they are getting it from LI, so quality is controlled to US standard but would appreciate some user input on smell.

The other general concern I have is that our bed (http://www.charlesprogers.com/barcelona-platform-bed-p-188.html?cPath=7_105) does not have a slated platform. Will that effect in airflow of the mattress?

Hi niswave,

The Sleep Options has 2" of 20 ILD Dunlop latex over 6" of firm, 40 ILD polyfoam so as you mentioned this would be a fairly firm mattress (because of the higher ILD of the base and because the comfort layer is only 2" of Dunlop). When I went to look, the online price at Sleepy’s for the mattress only is $1229 and for the set is $1475.99. At Walmart, the online price for the mattress only is $729 and the price for the set is $1039 so the difference between them is substantial.

This is unfortunately true but there are some good options available to you within reasonable driving distance. Most of them are listed in post #4 here. The closest factory direct is …

http://www.raitensleep.net/ is a factory direct manufacturer in Monticello and is owned by a husband and wife team that build some high quality and value mattresses using mostly innersprings and high quality polyfoam (2.6 - 2.8 lb density with 1.5 lb in the quilting as necessary). they will also make a latex mattress to order although they don’t carry them on their floor.

Other than them, there are others within a distance of about 100 miles or so that include some high quality and value factory direct manufacturers in CT if the drive is worth it for you to actually lie on a mattress that you purchase. A list of these is in post #2 here. I think a call to Restopedic in particular may be worthwhile in terms of value.

The link I gave also includes some retail outlets that may offer some better options than some other choices in the area but I personally would go with the factory direct outlets that are within reasonable driving distance or an online purchase unless a call to these turns up a mattress (where details about all the layers are provided) at a price that just can’t be resisted :slight_smile:

SleepEz uses high quality Talalay and Dunlop latex both of which have no harmful outgassing (have been indpendently tested). Latex though can have a slight odor when it is new (either a vanilla type of odor or a rubber type of odor) but neither contain harmful VOC’s even for a child or infant.

Their Talalay latex comes from either Radium or Latex International and they choose the source that they believe is currently offering the best quality. Radium and LI are usually very comparable but there are times when one may provide better quality than another and they (and other manufacturers) look at this before deciding which is the “default” they would include in their mattress although either can be chosen by request. I believe their current “default” is Radium.

Their 8" 3 layer default option would be slightly softer than the Sleep Options both with Talalay and Dunlop “standard” choices (the sleep options uses a firmer polyfoam as their base layer and has no transition layer which for most people would create a firmer feeling mattress).

While I personally prefer a slatted base for added ventilation and breathability, latex is breathable enough through the ticking and foam itself that a solid foundation would generally not present a significant problem in most cases and there are some people who actually prefer this. It would depend to some degree on the sleeping environment and humidity. The upholstery in your bed may also improve the breathability slightly vs just sitting on wood alone.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

thanks Phoenix.

Thanks for correcting the Walmart-Sleepys price comparison. No comments on Sleepys’ pricing strategy.
With below 1K price tag we are keeping Sleep Option from Walmart on the list.

I talked to Restopedic today. They have a single layer latex but the price is ~$2200. They don’t do multi-layer latex because of contractual agreement with some of their clients, and their shipping cost is $300.

I also talked to Shawn from Sleepez, and liked talking to him. He recommended (based on my input that I liked the 20ILD DL), 30 ILD TL as the top one (and he mentioned this one is from LI).

We will be in NYC over the weekend and will try few more places that’s been recommended here.

Hi niswave,

This must be a recent change because I know that at one time (as recently as January as you can see here) they did make a multilayered latex mattress with very good value. Perhaps it’s because they also supply outlets like this which carry a 9" latex mattress made by them and which they also sell on their site. They also supply Healthy Choice which sell multilayered mattresses (like the one mentioned in the thread I linked) made by Restopedic but which they sell for very high prices. I’m guessing that they have changed their policy about their pricing and selection rather than “compete” with their retail outlets.

Shawn is very knowledgeable and great to talk to. He always takes the time to make sure you have all the answers you need as well.

Good luck in NYC :slight_smile: … and feel free to post if you have any questions along the way.

Phoenix

Hello all,

I just thought I would clarify the previous post because another recent post led me to talking with Restopedic again today.

As usual … I found them very helpful and informative.

They are still making multilayered mattresses but they won’t duplicate" a mattress that they are making for a wholesale customer because this would indeed violate their contract to make a unique product for a retail outlet. They will however make a latex mattress with two layers (with a support core and comfort layer) that uses layering designed to give the pressure relief, support, and feel that a customer wants.

Many manufacturers that sell both factory direct and wholesale are like this because of course they can’t exactly duplicate another mattress that they manufacture under contract for one of their retail outlets (which wouldn’t be ethical anyway) but they certainly can build a mattress for a customer that meets their needs and preferences using their testing experiences as a model.

So if you go to a manufacturer like this (that sells both retail and wholesale) and ask them “can you build me a mattress that is an exact copy of this one at a better price” … their answer will be no. If on the other hand you go there and say I really liked this mattress so can you build me something that is equivalent in terms of pressure relief and support in a two layered mattress … then of course the answer will be “yes”.

Hope this helps to clarify things.

Phoenix

I really wanted to send a small word to say thanks to you for the fantastic points you are writing on www.themattressunderground.com. My time-consuming internet lookup has at the end been honored with extremely good ideas to exchange with my pals. I ‘d express that many of us site visitors actually are extremely endowed to exist in a notable community with so many lovely individuals with useful points. I feel really fortunate to have used your webpage and look forward to so many more fun moments reading here. Thanks a lot again for a lot of things.