Latex Bliss Nature Mattress Sagging Issue - Less than 3 weeks old.

I purchased a Latex Bliss mattress recently, the Nature, it was delivered on 12/10. My grandmother has this mattress and highly recommended it, I tested hers out and liked how supportive it felt. When my mattress was delivered on the 10th, the moment the delivery driver left I laid down to test it out, I immediately noticed it felt less firm than my grandmothers. I measured and it was 11", not 10" like the Nature is supposed to be. I believe I received the Nutrition instead, which would explain why it felt a bit softer than I was expecting.

That’s not the main issue however. As of about 4-5 nights ago I began waking up with some back tension, and a bit of pain in the morning.Yesterday I removed all of the bedding and noticed a significant dip exists in the middle of the bed. If I lay on the left or right 12-14" I notice a very significant difference in firmness. It appears this bed, in less than three weeks, has already started to give way. I believe I have a Nutrition, not a Nature, and I believe it’s defective. From your experience is this normal? I paid more money for this bed than I have because my old mattress was completely shot and I absolutely needed a supportive mattress. This brand has a good reputation for resiliency but a 1/2 inch+ indentation in less than three weeks has me very concerned.

I called the retailer I purchased this mattress from earlier, and they returned my call about an hour ago. The salesman I spoke with said his Nature also had a half inch dip very early on, and that it never sunk lower than that. I do not buy this claim, though whether or not it’s true is irrelevant because I already find this dip inexcusable for such an expensive mattress, especially so soon. I was told that if I put in a warranty claim with Latex International than he can’t offer me his 60 day comfort guarantee. If my warranty claim gets denied then essentially I’m stuck with the bed. This sounds very shady to me. I also asked about the clear 11 inch depth of the mattress when it’s supposed to be 10 inches and he said there’s some sort of new regulation involving fire retardant that might be the cause. Again, I don’t buy this claim.

I’ve attached several pictures. I just returned from my grandmothers house, as I stated earlier she also has the Nature. When I lay this same mop handle across her bed there is a very slight indentation, nothing near what you see in my pictures. Her bed is also 2+ years old, mine is three weeks. Her bed is also very clearly 10 inches, mine is not. Something just isn’t right, any advice/info you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Hi dapps06,

I looked at your pictures and your mattress appears to be less than 11" thick and the Nutrition would be a little bit thicker than 11" because the thickness of the cover and the fire barrier will add some additional thickness to the 11" of latex inside it. The Nature would also be a little more than 10" thick for the same reasons and it “looks like” you have the Nature based on the thickness.

If you remove the cover then you can check the thickness of the top two layers inside inside your mattress and confirm which mattress you have. The top two layers in the Nature would both be 2" thick and with the Nutrition the top layer would be 3" and the middle layer would be 2". You may also be able to see a sticker on the layers that will confirm the ILD of the layers (they are normally at the head end of the bed apparently) although I’m not sure if all of their mattresses would have the sticker.

The PLB mattresses also have a fairly thick fire barrier so your salesperson is correct that there could be some minimal initial impressions as a result of the fire barrier inside the mattress either compressing or perhaps even shifting if it isn’t tightly attached (you can see the fire barrier surrounding the latex when you remove the cover).

It’s also possible that your impressions could be the result of the foundation or support system underneath your mattress and I know some retailers that won’t sell the PLB foundations because they aren’t particularly good quality and the slats aren’t close enough together which can also lead to some sagging underneath the mattress which can also show up on the sleeping surface. You could check this by putting your mattress on the floor and seeing if it makes any difference.

It’s also possible that your grandmother has a previous version of the Nature which would be slightly different from their current model.

It’s not likely that a warranty claim would be approved anyway since their warranty has a .75" exclusion and impressions that are less than that aren’t considered to be a defect in the mattress.

There will also be a break in and adjustment period with any new mattress (see post #3 here) and it’s also possible (and perhaps the most likely possibility of all) that the Nature just isn’t a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your personal preferences).

I’m not sure how long your trial period is but if you are still experiencing discomfort or pain after a few more weeks of sleeping on the mattress and none of the suggestions makes a difference then the most likely cause of your discomfort is that the mattress is just the wrong “fit” and I would consider a comfort exchange.

If you do decide to keep the mattress (and since the cost of a trial period was built into the price of your mattress I would only do so if you are sleeping well on it) and the visible impressions get any deeper and are more than .75" then you would have a valid warranty claim and you could replace the mattress although I would also agree with your retailer that this also isn’t likely to happen because of the durability of the latex.

Phoenix

Thanks for the response.

I unzipped the top cover to measure the layers but as you pointed out there appears to be a another layer. The problem is this layer is fused to the actual latex. When I try to pull this layer back it starts tearing the latex, I’m afraid to go any further, because of this I can’t measure the layers. I measured again when I got home and it does indeed appear to be almost exactly 11 inches, my grandmothers was 10 inches exactly when I measured it earlier this afternoon. I guess the fire barrier change may have something to do with it but looking at the cover it doesn’t appear to be anywhere near an inch.

I need a consistent uniform surface, which I thought I was getting when I purchased this mattress. Since the warranty is a non-prorated 3/4" warranty, I assumed an impression measuring anywhere near 3’/4" wouldn’t be a concern for several years at the earliest. I’m only about an 1/8th away from that 3/4" mark after only three weeks. To me that screams defect but I’m not expecting the company to admit that so easily. I’ll pay attention to the issue over the next week or so but I just don’t believe the mattress is going to hold up over the long run if it already has this sort of impression so early.

This sounds very much like an initial settling of the FR barrier cover, not a sagging issue. It is normal for the Nature to be about 11" when brand new, and the Nutrition to be about 12" when new. There certainly is variability in the FR covers. Bliss could have changed FR suppliers. The person gluing the FR cover could have secured it a bit more loosely, resulting in a bit of extra fluff. Comparing to a previous generation of the Nature can also be problematic, as all foams change over time and the spec could have differed, along with a different FR barrier being used (and compacted), as Phoenix mentioned. I wouldn’t be concerned with the bed continually settling at this rate (the FR barrier will eventually even out), but if that bothers you then you may wish to simply return the product and choose differently. If you do decide to make the exchange, have your salesperson show you in detail the FR barrier being used and look for something that is thinner, perhaps even something that uses the newer FR sock that will minimally impact the initial surface comfort. If you look at the law tag on the bed, the code should be MATNAT-xx-AF2. The cover for the Nutrition would be MATNUT-xx-AF3 and would be very loose on the Nature, and the Nature cover on the Nutrition would be too tight. Hopefully this information helps you decide which way to go. Good luck!

Hi dapps06,

I talked to Jeff at https://www.matt-to-go.com/ who is one of the members of this site and sells the PLB mattresses to let him know about your post. He has more experience with removing the fire barrier than I do and hopefully he will have the chance to reply to your post with some suggestions about loosening the fire barrier enough to check the layers underneath it (I see he already posted while I was writing this reply). It would generally only be glued only around the edges and fits like a fitted sheet so hopefully you will be able to create enough of an opening to check the latex layers. I have seen one of their fire barriers that was removed and they are surprisingly thick.

The fire barrier is made from a non woven fiber material and will develop some slight initial impressions when you first sleep on the mattress. This would be similar to a wool quilted cover which will also develop some slight impressions when you first sleep on it although they will tend to even out to some degree over time as you sleep on the less used parts of the mattress surface over time. These types of minimal impressions in fiber materials don’t generally affect the comfort or support of the mattress although removing it completely can sometimes make a difference in how well the latex underneath it contours to the shape of your body and the “feel” of the mattress.

It’s unlikely that the latex itself has developed impressions (although of course there is always a small possibility that the latex could be defective) and the fire barrier and/or the support system under the mattress are the most likely cause. If the impressions are from the fire barrier then it’s also unlikely that they will continue to get deeper over time.

Phoenix

The FR cover is secured around the bottom perimeter of the mattress with a thin layer of glue. You can slowly wiggle your fingers between this cover and the latex and pull it away. Yes, a little latex will come off with the glue but not enough to hamper the feel/durability of your product. DISCLAIMER; This will void your warranty and also will render the mattress non-compliant with 16 CFR Part 1633. With that being said, I removed my FR pad on my latex mattress and I enjoy the feel much more. If you remove the FR pad you will find that each piece of foam will have a sticker on it, usually at the head of the mattress. The sticker lists the specs of the foam and certifies the ILD testing that it went through.