Latex Comparison

I’m searching for my next bed and have been reading through some very helpful threads but still have a few questions.

I am currently considering two latex mattress. The UD Freedom from Dream Foam Bedding and the ISleepEZ 7000 from SleepEZ.

They both look like they are constructed of 100% Dunlop latex, however the ISleepEZ is 3" thinner than the UD Freedom but cost several hundred more. I don’t know enough to understand the difference between the two. I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest mattress but obviously don’t want to pay a premium for a product that is almost identical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi CASkinner,

The Freedom mattress uses synthetic continuous pour Dunlop latex which is a much less costly material than either the blended Talalay latex or the 100% natural Dunlop latex (you can choose either) that is used in the iSleepEZ 7000. The Freedom mattress also has a polyfoam quilted cover while the iSleepEZ has a wool quilted cover (which is also the fire barrier) which is also a more costly component. The Freedom mattress gives you the option to rearrange the layers to fine tune the comfort/support after a purchase but there are no layer exchanges while the iSleepEz also allows you to rearrange the layers (although there are only two possible configurations with a 2 layer mattress) but allows you to exchange a layer for a softer or firmer version as well.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is more about the properties of the synthetic Dunlop latex used in the Freedom mattress in post #2 here.

While they aren’t identical and don’t use the same types and blend of latex … overall these are both great quality/value options and there are no weak links in either of them.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses and post #2 here also has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them.

When you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any weak links or lower quality materials in their design and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about the suitability of each one, the prices, the options you have after a purchase to rearrange layers or exchange or return the mattress, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

A thousand thank yous. You are incredibly knowledgeable and extremely helpful.

Hi CASkinner,

Thanks for the kind words … and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Abscond mattress from Spindle. Still doing a bit more research but I am leaning towards 100% natural latex and I like have three layers to customizes.

It appears they use quality materials and have very competitive prices.

If anyone has an option on Spindle I’d love to hear it, especially a devil’s advocate.

Hi CASkinner,

As you probably know Spindle is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. They are also very knowledgeable about their mattresses and mattress materials in general and as you mentioned they use all high quality materials (100% natural Dunlop and a wool quilted cotton cover) and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in their mattresses.

I really don’t know about any “devils advocate” comments that would apply outside of perhaps not liking the feel of Dunlop latex. They also have a little different exchange policy where you can order a new layer in the first 365 days and they charge $150 for the new layer but then you get to keep your old layer instead of having to return it. Like all component mattresses with multiple layers you can rearrange the layers to customize the pressure relief and/or support but they also don’t have a return policy.

I think you are making a great quality/value choice and assuming you decide to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I ordered Spindle’s firm mattress and it should arrive Tuesday. I will post a follow up review within the next month.

So far their communication and customer service has been top notch. It’s been my experience that companies with great CS also have great products so I am very anxious for it to arrive.

Hi CASkinneer,

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix