Latex Confusion - Blended or 100% Natural

Hello,

I understand the difference between blended and natural latex using either the Dunlop or Talalay process.

Out of the following online stores, who truly sells 100% Natural latex using the Talalay process (98% natural & 2% synthetic) and who manufactures their latex?

1 - FoamSweetFoam (UrbanGreenMattress)
2 - SpindleMattress
3 - Mattresses.net
4 - Flobeds
5 - SleepEZ

Thanks,
Marc

Hi Mick04u,

100% natural Talalay means that there is no synthetic rubber in the blend at all although it doesnā€™t mean that 100% of the finished core is rubber because there are also additional substances needed to foam, manufacture, and cure the foamed latex core (see the first part of post #7 here).

There are only two sources of 100% natural Talalay in the western world which is Talalay Global (formerly Latex International) and Radium. A phone call to each of the manufacturers that you are considering would normally be the best source for this type of information about their current options because manufacturers can change their suppliers from time to time.

Having said that ā€¦

I believe that their 100% natural talalay comes from Radium

They use 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop made by Mountaintop Foam ā€¦ not Talalay.

I believe that their current default would be Radium but they also have access to Talalay Global latex so you would need to confirm which one they are using in any specific mattress.

I believe that their current Talalay supplier is Radium.

They can provide either Radium or Talalay Global on request but they will tell you which one is their current default.

Phoenix

I am so confused about what s Best in "3 Inch Latex Mattress Toppers we quit lookingā€¦
Even my Husband and Son are confused. Trying to replace a 8 year old Topper and wanting to find the very best of simply overwhelming.
After my last purchase and experience, I am leey. Can anyone provide a Excellent Trustworthy source. I am exchausted from looking.

Years ago we bought this one. Do they make them differant now? How do you know which ILD to choose without being to Soft or to hard.
Husband weight 165 , mine 155 right now, it is going down my Thyroid is off I quit smoking a year ago, cold tooā€¦ it threw my TSH level off and I gained 20 pounds, lost 7 now , raised thyroid med, It is awful. Also throws the Adrenal glands off too! Be aware!!!

I bought a Noodles Pillow Regular, do not do it , far far to hard.

My Son needs a New 3" Topper too. So we need 2! California King and a Twin XL.

Thought about getting a New Latex Mattress, I cannot even pick a Topper much less trust getting a Mattress anymore without coils. I fear all Latex or Talalay break down and sinks eventually.
We are retired, but we are not looking for a piece that is worthless.
Phoenix I know you have tried to help.
I just want honesty, called a place on here they would not tell me whom made their Toppers. They are in Utah. Why is honesty so difficult anymore?
Thanks everyone.
It is nice to feel better for 6 months I was pretty ill, the last 2 were awful. Rasing my meds sure helped. Never smoke it messes your Thyroid up!
Bunny

Hi Bunny1999,

I switched your post to your own topic so it wouldnā€™t get mixed in with the questions from another member.

While some manufacturers will tell you who makes their toppers ā€¦ there is really no reason for them to disclose their suppliers to customers as long as they provide you with accurate information about the type and blend of the latex that they are using. This isnā€™t about honesty ā€¦ itā€™s about whether they wish to disclose information that they consider to be proprietary to their customers. If for some reason you believe you need to know who makes their toppers rather than the materials that they use then there are certainly suppliers that will tell you if you ask them.

[quote]I am so confused about what s Best in "3 Inch Latex Mattress Toppers we quit lookingā€¦
Even my Husband and Son are confused. Trying to replace a 8 year old Topper and wanting to find the very best of simply overwhelming.
After my last purchase and experience, I am leey. Can anyone provide a Excellent Trustworthy source. I am exchausted from looking.[/quote]

Iā€™m not sure what I can add to my previous replies to the same question. Iā€™ve already linked you to the list of the better online suppliers Iā€™m aware of and linked you to the topper guidelines that I would suggest using as a guideline.

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress/topper combination and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion about which topper would be the best ā€œmatchā€ for both you and the mattress you are using it on in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). The specifics of the mattress under the topper can also make a significant difference in which topper will work best for any specific person since every layer and component in a mattress/topper combination will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and the ā€œsleeping systemā€ as a whole.

As Iā€™ve mentioned in my previous replies ā€¦ while itā€™s not possible to make specific suggestions because of all the many variables involved that are unique to each person and your own experience is the only way to know for certain whether any mattress/topper combination will be a good ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of PPP ā€¦ there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers Iā€™m aware of as well.

Once you have talked with the retailers or manufacturers you are considering then at some point you just need to make a ā€œbest judgementā€ choice about the the type, thickness and firmness for a topper that you believe would work best for you and hold your breath, grit your teeth, and pull the trigger. If there is a good exchange policy then you would also have good options afterwards just in case your choice doesnā€™t work out as well as you hoped for.

Unfortunately nobody has a crystal ball that can predict exactly which specific topper you will sleep best on in combination with your mattress with any certainty. It just doesnā€™t exist.

Phoenix

Thanks for your quick response Phoenix!

Is Talalay Global the same as Latex Green?

I also found latexco.com/usa/our-company/ that claims to produce 100% natural talalay.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: latexco.com/usa/our-company/

Hi Mick04u,

No ā€¦ Talalay Global (which uses to be called Latex International) makes several different types and blends of Talalay latex and Latex Green is a completely different company that makes 100% natural Dunlop and certified organic Dunlop.

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: latexco.com/usa/our-company/

Latexco is a wholesale supplier that provides several types and blends of latex including Talalay latex that is manufactured by Radium (they donā€™t make it themselves). They also supply Latex Green Dunlop. The only latex they manufacture themselves in North America is their continuous pour Dunlop latex.

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Phoenix

Hello!

I have been using this forum extensively in my mattress research, what a fabulous and comprehensive resource. I keyword searched this site for ā€œ100% natural latex + spindleā€ because Iā€™m confused by inconsistent wording on their site.
Mainly they advertise ā€œ100% natural latexā€, but I think Iā€™ve read somewhere on the interweb that ā€˜natural latexā€™ doesnā€™t exclude synthetic?

In a description at this link it is mentioned ā€œAlso, our latex manufacturer makes a blended latex with a lower density, but with the same ILD.ā€

What do they mean by ā€˜blended latexā€™? I went to Mountain Top Foamā€™s site to learn more but they mention they offer ā€œMultiple latex formulations available with 6 comfort selections including gel and slow recovering latex optionsā€. I know there is a small amount of material used to foam the latex etc, but am not thinking of this.

Do you know if gel and slow recovering latex have synthetic components?
I was pretty much thinking of going with Spindle after deciding Sleep EZ was more expensive and because weā€™re local to Spindle with a chance to try the mattress. But Iā€™m curious about thisā€¦

Thanks!!

Nice thread, I was under the impression thereā€™s no such thing a 100% Talalay Latex and that only Dunlop Latex can be produced 100% Natural.

It was explained quite clearly in post #2 in this thread.

Judee wrote:

From a similar question a year ago about Talalay Global slow recovery latex, Phoenix wrote:
Their slow response Talalay has been OekoTex certified which along with other similar certifications is the only real way to know whether a material is ā€œsafeā€ in terms of harmful substances that can leach or migrate out of the layer or that produces harmful VOCā€™s. Itā€™s a blend of synthetic and natural rubber (like their blended fast response latex) but foam manufacturers donā€™t disclose their specific compounding formula. Based on my discussions though ā€¦ the slow response characteristics comes primarily from the blend of styrene and butadiene they use in the synthetic rubber which can alter the properties of the blend. More than this would probably need a degree in foam chemistry to make sense.

Hi Judee,

If latex is described as being 100% natural then there wouldnā€™t be any synthetic latex in the formulation and the latex that Spindle uses is 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop.

I would be very cautious about what you believe based on reading something on the internet because there is some very inaccurate and misleading information on many sites that are more about selling something than educating consumers. I havenā€™t seen any inconsistent wording on their site. They are very knowledgeable about latex and do a great job providing some excellent information on their website.

[quote]spindlemattress.com/faq-items/specificat...ural-latex-mattress/
In a description at this link it is mentioned ā€œAlso, our latex manufacturer makes a blended latex with a lower density, but with the same ILD.ā€[/quote]

This is true ā€¦ you can see the different types of latex that Mountaintop foam makes here. They were making the point that different types and blends of latex can have a very different ā€œfeelā€ and firmness level even if they are the same ILD so that people donā€™t test one type or blend of latex and think that it will be the same.

Although they donā€™t use it ā€¦ blended latex is made from a formulation that contains a percentage of natural rubber and a percentage of synthetic rubber. If you scroll back to post #5 in this topic you will see a link to a post that has more information about the different types and blends of latex.

Yes ā€¦ they both have synthetic components.

Phoenix

ā€œThis is true ā€¦ you can see the different types of latex that Mountaintop foam makes here. They were making the point that different types and blends of latex can have a very different ā€œfeelā€ and firmness level even if they are the same ILD so that people donā€™t test one type or blend of latex and think that it will be the sameā€

Hi Phoenix,
Thank you, everything is clear to me now. I canā€™t even look at their gorgeous latex mattress photos online anymore, I become overwhelmed fantasizing of sleeping on one every night. Time and money put my husband and me at early january to try out and hopefully buy a king for a belated xmas gift to each other. Sleeping on an innerspring full currently, in a little ditch with a coil in my side (made softer by a topper from target). Good thing semi youth is on my side.

Profuse reiterations of many readersā€™ thank yous for the time and effort you and others devote to this forum. Will be donating imminently and also posting our mattress outcome here.

Sleep hungry in Boston,
Judee ; )

Hi Judee,

Thanks for the kind comments ā€¦ I appreciate them :slight_smile:

As you know you are certainly looking in a great direction and Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback once the time comes to pull the trigger.

Phoenix