Latex core versus innerspring

I tried out some mattresses today at Sleepcraft near Dallas and have a question. I really like latex as a comfort layer but my wife is concerned that a latex foam core will not hold up well (our current mattress is all foam - not latex though - and broke down rather quickly despite our smaller size). Is there a significant difference in durability between an innerspring core and a latex core? What are some other pros/cons of each variety?

Hi Yeroks,

Latex is among the most durable mattress materials and would be a little more durable than most innersprings “in theory” but the weakest link in a mattress is generally in the comfort layers not in the deeper support layers so it may not make a meaningful difference in “real life”.

The choice between an innerspring and a latex core would be a preference choice not so much a “better/worse” choice and there is more about the differences between them in post #13 here and the other posts it links to.

Phoenix

Thank you for the feedback. We are going to check out The Mattress Factory in Ft. Worth to see what they offer in comparison with SleepCraft and probably make a decision between the two.

Hi Yeroks,

I’m looking forward to your feedback after your visit and to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

I went to City Mattress as well as Mattress Factory in Fort Worth over the weekend and ended up with an all Latex from Peter Duncan. Should deliver on Tuesday or Wednesday he said. I ended up choosing a firm since my wife and I both sleep on our stomachs. Hoping it’s not “too” firm. I’ll update after we receive it and get a chance to try it out.

Hi Yeroks,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix