Latex decisions

Hi, I have been researching mattresses for the past 4 months and have narrowed down my decision to an all latex type. I am looking at this one in both particular: Queen Naturalux Latex Set, It has a Dunlop latex core, and a 2 inch Talalay topper. Each layer comes in 3 choices of firmness. I am thinking about a firm core (36 ILD) and a firm topper (23 or 24ILD).We have had a very firm mattress for a long time, (coils) and don’t want to go too soft. It’s hard to estimate how firm this combination will be, but after reading about other’s experiences, I am afraid of going too soft. I am also thinking about a nice wool pad for the top. My husband and I both have some back issues… he sleeps in all positions and I am a side sleeper. He also has allergies to dust mites, so I thought this would be a good choice for that as well. I am looking at a Japanese platform bed, no box spring, for this mattress.

This combination will be slightly over $2000. I could go with a Brooklyn Bedding mattress with a non-latex core and talalay topper to cut down the cost a little. I don’t know if this type of foam core is hypoallergenic. I understand that the most important layers are at the top, correct? I also have concerns about the lifespan of a latex mattress.

If anyone has advice or thoughts about my mattress choices and firmness issues, they would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Diane

Hello Diane37,
I’ve been reading the forum for awhile and can tell you Latex is the most durable type of foam.
My mattress is from Brooklyn Bedding and they use 100% Natural U.S. Wool, they are hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant, and antibacterial as well. Being a member here is good for a 5% discount and two free pillows, so don’t forget to mention that you are a member.
I do not have experience with all of the other manufactures listed but I know that the Mattress Underground will only list quality companies that sell high quality Mattresses - you may want to look at the other companies that are a member here for other options.
I choose a Firm Mattress with two top layers (bottom is ILD36 and the top is ILD 32) - having two herniated Discs and sore shoulders I was concerned that this might be too firm but I generally have liked firm mattresses in the past so I got it anyway. I imagine this setup would be a bit firm especially for a side-sleeper. If you choose to investigate BB or one of the other companies listed on this site it would be wise to call them and let them help you. My experience was very pleasant, I did not buy on the first call because I wanted to let my wife know what I was planning first. I felt no pressure to buy and their shipping was fast and free.
Good luck with your decision,
Jeff

Thanks so much Jeff. Can you tell me which model you chose from B.B.? 32ILD does sound very firm for a top layer. I have never seen such a firm top layer option. Are both layers natural latex or is the bottom a different foam? Also, do you have your mattress on a platform slat bed or a box spring? This seems like such a shot in the dark when there are no showrooms to actually see and feel the mattresses. I do like B.B.'s website and that you can replace the top layer. Thanks for your reply and I’ll keep in mind that you had good customer support from B.B.
Diane

Hi diane37,

Just to add to jefmoody’s great comments …

23 or 24 ILD is actually “soft” not “firm” or even “medium”. Of course the thickness of a layer will have just as much effect as the actual softness itself because with thinner comfort layers the upper part of the layer below it will also have an effect on the firmness or “feel” of the mattress. If there is also a soft polyfoam quilting layer over the latex then it will be softer than sleeping directly on the latex itself. You can read a little more about some of the “theory” behind different designs in the links in mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here but in most cases theory is much too complex to use as the basis for a choice without specific reference points of actually testing a mattress with a similar design. Without specifically testing a mattress with a similar design … a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer is a much more meaningful and accurate way to predict how a mattress may feel for you based on the “averages” of others with a similar body type, sleeping style, and preferences than anything else.

For most people the upper layers contribute the most to the “feel” of a mattress when you go to sleep or initially lie on it and are also the most important part of durability but the deeper layers are just as important for the support/alignment of the mattress which is a big part of how you feel in the morning. Latex is also the most durable foam material so to the degree that any layer contributes to durability it would be the most durable option (you can read more about the many factors that are part of the durability of a mattress in post #4 here)

You can read more about some of the differences between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

Depending on how someone defines “safe” … most of the foams that are made in North America and are CertiPur certified for harmful substances and VOC’s and would be considered safe by most people. For those who want to delve into issues concerning the relative “safety” of various materials and don’t mind doing research where there are no definitive or black and white answers to the question of “how safe is safe enough for me?” then post #2 here and the other posts and resources it links to can provide much more information (and perhaps more than you really want or need to know :)).

The major cause of allergies is dust mites and other allergens that can accumulate in your mattress (not the mattress materials) and you can read more about controlling dust mites in post #2 here

An all latex mattress generally or any “all foam” mattress generally does best on a firm non flexing foundation or platform bed rather than a box spring which flexes. There is more information about foundations and some good sources in the foundation thread and the posts it links to as well. Both Brooklyn bedding and Arizona Premium Mattress (and other foam mattress manufacturers as well) would normally suggest firm non flexing foundations or platforms with gaps between the support surfaces that are close enough together to prevent the materials in the base layer of the mattress from sinking into the gaps (with a few exceptions where a flexing foundation is recommended as specific part of the design of the sleeping system).

Phoenix

Hello again Diane37,
I chose the Aloe Alexis. It is a hybrid in that it has two Latex top layers (3" each) and a polyfoam base. This is actually a great combination because I have a full 6 inches of Talalay Latex (32 ILD is on top while the second layer is 36).
Currently I have a Box Spring but plan to a more solid base when I feel the Latex start to soften (right now it is very firm and I don’t want it to be more firm).
Since I have a queen size it was $1399.99 - 69.99 (5% Discount), free shipping and no tax. Needless to say, I am happy with the price as well as the product.
If there is a weak point in this mattress I have not detected it. The firmness options are many for the Aloe Alexis and since you have two comfort layers of slightly different firmness…you can swap their order for a little more firmness or even return one of them for something else.
It may interest you to know that Latex feels very different than coil spring or Memory foam and may take you a little while to adjust to its feel; however, it feels great to me in only a couple weeks.
Note: my comments are a bit limited because this is my first Latex Mattress but I have ZERO regrets in buying this mattress. I may even buy another mattress from BB for my son (probably a cheaper one as he doesn’t really care).

Last thought, call them and discuss it for a rundown of all your options (firmness…etc).

Good luck and let us know what you do. If you have more questions feel free to ask but I may have to defer to Phoenix (He is incredible: knowledge of all things that is mattress).
Jeff

Oops, I see Phoenix has already added detail…see what I mean, he knows his stuff.