Latex Durability question

Hi Talldrink,

You can see my thoughts about having two layers vs a single layer in a support core in post #2 here. There is also more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here. While there may be some small “theoretical” differences … I don’t think that any differences between the durability of two layers that are the same type and blend of latex and the same ILD would be meaningful in any “real life” terms although there are no specific studies that I know of can “prove” this either way.

The recommendations of gaps that are 3" or less would be based on standard 1" x 3" slats (which are usually .75" x 2.5") at a minimum but of course wider slats with the same gaps would also be fine. I don’t have a recommendation for a minimum but gaps that are less than 2.5" would also be fine as long as there is enough airflow through the base. Even an inch between the slats would be fine and would make a stronger foundation that is more solid. A good general guideline would be a support surface that is “about” 50% solid surface and 50% “gaps” but I wouldn’t make “exact numbers” too important because this would also depend on the specifics of the foundation’s construction and the type and strength of the wood that was used (see here). The gaps need to be small enough to prevent sagging of the mattress “through” the support surface and the overall construction needs to be strong enough to prevent sagging or flex in the foundation itself.

Phoenix