Latex foam mattresses

I started out looking for latex mattresses. At Urban Mattress I looked at Sherwood’s Evosleep Ambiance Lux Firm and Retreat Lux Firm. However, looking at their cross sections, they have layers of soy-based foam (quilt, comfort & support) and very little latex.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of soy-based vs latex foam? I’m assuming that organic latex is more expensive. What stores in my area carry organic latex?

Thank you for your help,

Linda

Hi Lindat,

You can read more about so called “soy based foams” (or other plant oils) in post #2 here. It’s just polyfoam that has replaced a small percentage of one of the two main petrochemicals used to make polyurethane foams with a soy (or other plant oil) oil based derivative so the raw materials are a little more sustainable. It would be directly comparable in terms of performance to other polyfoams that have a similar density.

There is more about the pros and cons of latex vs other types of foam in this article.

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex (including organic Dunlop) in post #6 here.

There is also more information about the different materials that are used for comfort layers in the mattress comfort layers section of the site in the top menu (under the mattresses link) and more about the different materials used for support layers in the mattress support cores section.

There is also a comparison between latex/polyfoam hybrids and all latex mattresses in post #2 here.

Hopefully you’ve also had the chance to read the tutorial (the link is in the top right of the page and in the signature section of all my posts) which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area so you could check to see if any of them carry mattresses that use organic latex. I would also be aware that there is little to no difference between 100% natural Dunlop that has an organic certification and the same material that doesn’t (outside of the certification itself and the greater cost of the organic version) although some people do feel more “comfortable” with the organic version for personal reasons that has nothing to do with whether it is a better material.

Phoenix

I live in the Denver Metro area which is also close to Boulder, CO. Thank you for your reply.

Hi Lindat,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Denver / Boulder area are listed in post #2 here.

There are many latex options in the area but the only one that uses organic certified Dunlop Latex that I know of (you could check with the others to make sure) is the Natural Sleep Store in their Bella Sera and Savvy Rest mattresses.

Phoenix