Latex-free mattress options for child in DC area?

Alright, I love all the information on this site, but now that I’ve started researching mattress options for my 4yo, my head is spinning! He’s currently sleeping on a really cheap, twin, innerspring that we bought a few years back for a daybed for guests. It’s what we had on-hand when we switched him over from the crib, so it’s what we used. He’s happy with it, but one of us ends up lying with him for at least a few hours most nights, and we can feel the cheapness and lack of comfort, so, it’s time to upgrade the poor kid!
We spent the extra money to buy the kids more natural, eco-friendly foam crib mattresses (by Colgate), but couldn’t afford to go all-out organic. Instead, we went as good as we could get in our price range, and went with an organic cotton mattress protector and organic cotton sheets. I feel like we’re in the same boat with this purchase. I’d like to find the safest, most natural option we can get, but we still can’t afford to spend a ton on this. $500 would really be our max price.

All that said, I see a lot of info on latex mattresses on here, but I myself have a latex allergy, so really don’t want to have one in the house. So far, the only option I’ve found is the Pure Echo. Are there any others? It’s still a little more than we were hoping to spend though (we’d prefer to keep it under $300). We’re in the DC area, and I know we don’t have many local options here. My husband’s response to all this is, “you and I never slept on organic mattresses, growing up!”, so any other options or tips you could give would be great! Thanks in advance!

Also, just came across a few options on Wayfair from Brooklyn Bedding, for really good prices. I know you think highly of them, but what are your thoughts on these ones for a child? Also, should have noted above, in terms of my husband and I sleeping on it also, we’re both small, about 155 lbs and 110 lbs.

http://www.wayfair.com/Brooklyn-Bedding-Ultimate-Dreams-Crazy-Quilt-7-Mattress-BKBD1028.html

http://www.wayfair.com/Brooklyn-Bedding-Ultimate-Dreams-9-Crazy-Quilt-Euro-Top-Foam-Mattress-BBCQ9ET-BKBD1035.html

Hi Archimama25,

[quote]Alright, I love all the information on this site, but now that I’ve started researching mattress options for my 4yo, my head is spinning! He’s currently sleeping on a really cheap, twin, innerspring that we bought a few years back for a daybed for guests. It’s what we had on-hand when we switched him over from the crib, so it’s what we used. He’s happy with it, but one of us ends up lying with him for at least a few hours most nights, and we can feel the cheapness and lack of comfort, so, it’s time to upgrade the poor kid!

We spent the extra money to buy the kids more natural, eco-friendly foam crib mattresses (by Colgate), but couldn’t afford to go all-out organic. Instead, we went as good as we could get in our price range, and went with an organic cotton mattress protector and organic cotton sheets. I feel like we’re in the same boat with this purchase. I’d like to find the safest, most natural option we can get, but we still can’t afford to spend a ton on this. $500 would really be our max price.[/quote]

Post #2 here includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children that include more information, guidelines, and sources for buying a mattress for a child.

[quote]Also, just came across a few options on Wayfair from Brooklyn Bedding, for really good prices. I know you think highly of them, but what are your thoughts on these ones for a child? Also, should have noted above, in terms of my husband and I sleeping on it also, we’re both small, about 155 lbs and 110 lbs.

www.wayfair.com/Brooklyn-Bedding-Ultimat...ttress-BKBD1028.html

www.wayfair.com/Brooklyn-Bedding-Ultimat...BCQ9ET-BKBD1035.html[/quote]

These both use 1.5 lb polyfoam which would certainly be suitable for a child in firmer versions if you are comfortable with polyfoam in your children’s mattresses. Dreamfoam Bedding is CertiPur certified so which means the polyfoam has been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s. If you are considering one of these though I would purchase them from the Dreamfoam site (click Crazy Quilt Mattresses) instead of Wayfair because the regular prices are lower and they have an additional 10% discount as well. Wayfair also only allows an exchange for a new mattress (100 days and a $99 cost) while Dreamfoam purchases from their site have a 45 day return/refund policy (also with a $99 cost).

Phoenix