Latex Hybrid options

Our 7-year old cheap Serta has had enough and is now starting to cuase pain for us in the morning. We are both below average size (me: 5-7, 165 lb & her: 5-0, 110 lb) and sleep mainly on our stomachs and occasionally on our sides. So far we have visited 2 local shops(Verlo and Quality Sleep Shop).

1. Verlo: We really enjoyed the Triumph (all latex) model but speaking with the owner was told that Verlo is not manufacturing latex models due to higher demand for memory foam. The only model they had was the floor model in queen (we are hoping to upgrade to king). They also had a latex/pocket coil hybrid but we did not like that one as much.
  2. Quality Sleep Shop: We really enjoyed the latex/pocket coil hybrid they had there. It as a 900 count pocket coil with 3" talalay (40 ILD) comfort layer. Our experience was great because they were able to answer all of our questions and we will definitely recommend them. Taking advice from this website, we chose not to buy mattress on the same day as we tested them.
  3. Beloit Mattress (Luckily for us, we have several great options in the NW Chicago area): We will be visiting them next becuase they seem to have a few other options from what we have already tested that look like they fit our criteria (pocket coils with either all latex or latex/memory foam combo in comfort layers).

Since a 100% latex mattress is over our budget, it seems the latex hybrid will be our best option. My only concern so far is that we cannot seem to find a latex/poly foam hybrid to test out.
Are we missing out by not testing out this type of mattress? I know I can find online retailers selling these, but was hoping for somewhere nearby that we could test them out.
Also, does it look like we are going in the correct direction with the construction of our mattress (pocket coil/poly support with firm latex in comfort layer)? We liked the mattress from QSS, but I am concerned the 3" of 40 ILD latex will be too firm for us small people. It was nice in store, but that does not always mean much.

Thank you in advance,
Ben

Hi hartmabd,

I’m not sure if that’s just a local decision or if they mean Verlo as a whole (they still are showing latex mattresses on their site) but either way that would be unfortunate since I believe that more choices in materials are part of what can allow consumers to make better choices overall, regardless of current trends in the industry which are often more about marketing than reality, and latex is certainly one of the better materials in the market. Of course like everything else … the choice between different materials is always a personal preference.

[quote]Since a 100% latex mattress is over our budget, it seems the latex hybrid will be our best option. My only concern so far is that we cannot seem to find a latex/poly foam hybrid to test out.
Are we missing out by not testing out this type of mattress?[/quote]

You would be missing the chance to test this specific type of mattress yes and a latex/polyfoam hybrid can certainly be a good option for those who prefer a polyfoam support core over an innerspring support core for reasons of cost or “feel” but it would really depend on how happy you are with the options you have tested and the importance to you of looking at other types of mattresses that you haven’t tested. Nobody would have the time to test every type of mattress or all the possible variations in each type that are available. Latex polyfoam hybrids would often be be the choice for those who are looking at a latex comfort layer that provides much of the feel of sleeping on latex but can’t afford an all latex mattress (see post #2 here) but a latex innerspring hybrid can be a choice that many people would make even if they could afford an all latex mattress because they prefer the combination more than an all latex mattress (see post #2 here).

The only way to answer this would be based on careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post. While it may not always be perfect … it will be much more accurate than any theory at a distance based on specs (either yours or the mattress) and you would be in a better position to tell me whether the mattress works for you than I would be able to tell you. 40 ILD latex is a very firm sleep surface and would likely be too firm for most side sleepers (depending on how much time you spend on your side) if it was on top of a firm polyfoam support core but with a pocket coil underneath it the coils will provide more give under the latex and provide more pressure relief than a firmer polyfoam support core and this would be a “feel” (firmer over softer layers) that some people would like very much. A firmer mattress can also lower the risk of alignment issues for stomach sleepers.

You are looking at some very good quality/value options and between Beloit and Quality Sleep especially you will certainly have some great final choices to choose from.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for your thorough and very quick response.

We are aware that it’s impossible to try out every type of mattress or even the different possibilities of each construction. The main types of latex mattresses are full and hybrid, so we were hoping to at least try out the different main hybrid options (coils & poly under latex). Are you aware of any local places near us that carry the latex over poly hybrid?

Or does anyone else reading this post have any suggestions?

I also just recently had a great converstation with Brooklyn Bedding about their hybrid mattress and am now very intrigued to try out this type of mattress. Plus they are having their Spring Sale right now (free foundation) and “Budget” is high in our personal equation. And I think maybe this poly hybrid mattress might be closeest feeling to the latex model (6" latex over 3" poly) we really enjoyed at Verlo. Still waiting to get the exact specifications from Verlo on this model.

Additional question
Based on our size and sleeping positions, would a 7" full latex be enough for us? It seems that lighter and smaller people don’t need the thickest mattress available. The Sleep EZ 7000 is within our budget and could be enough for us. I am assuming the thicker mattress (more than 2 layers) just provides more customizing and different feel than just the two 3" layers.

Ben

Hi hartmabd,

Unfortunately I don’t have a list of specific mattresses that are on the floor of the retailers or manufacturers that are listed in the various lists throughout the forum (it would be more than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market and would soon be out of date) so you would need to check the options on the list to see what they currently have on their floor (or could make for those that can make custom designs).

While the “feel” and performance of the mattress is both objective and subjective and would depend on the type and firmness the latex (and to some degree the base layer and cover/quilting) … the most similar design in the Dreamfoam/Brooklyn Bedding lineup would be the Aloe Alexis here which also has 6" of latex in the comfort layers. If you knew the ILD of the 6" of latex in the Verlo then you may be able to approximate it with the Aloe Alexis (the top layers of a mattress are the most important part of the initial “feel” of the mattress) although the polyfoam support core is also thicker and there may be a few other differences between them that would also affect how they compared. The Aloe Alexis also has more options to customize the latex layers both before and after a purchase.

It may also be possible to “approximate” the Verlo mattress with a different design that for some people would have a similar feel (there is more about “matching” one mattress to another in post #9 here).

There is really no way to answer “comfort” questions on an individual level based on “theory at a distance” because there are too many unknowns, variables, and preferences involved in terms of the people involved and the specifics of the mattress design regardless of thickness (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While you wouldn’t “bottom out” on 6" of latex … it may not be the best match for you in terms of PPP. In some cases you may be able to order a mattress with 6" of latex and then “upgrade” to a thicker mattress with a thicker cover if it didn’t work out for you if that was an option that a particular manufacturer offered and this would be well worth discussing with them when you talk with them about your comfort and design choices. There is more about the pros and cons of thicker layers or thicker mattresses in post #14 here that can give you some insights about some of the “theory” involved.

Phoenix