Latex Hybrids - Brooklyn Bedding, Denver, Parklane, and SleepEZ. Bunch of Questions

Hello,

So, I am looking to replace my current mattress, which is old and sagging, and hurting my back. I’ve been doing a ton of research over the last month or two, as mattresses are quite costly and I expect to have this mattress for many years to come. I’ve been looking mainly at latex hybrids (latex with foam core or latex over coils). They seem to provide the best price to quality/durability of all mattresses in my price range (around $1500, give or take). We don’t seem to have much in terms of smaller independent mattress companies in my area, Fort Wayne, Indiana, or at least none that I’ve seen. The only place I could find in the area to test out latex hybrids was at Denver Mattress Company, where they sold the Telluride, Aspen, and Snowmass. I went there just to get an idea of what I liked, and what I didn’t like. I was able to cross off memory foam and confirm that latex hybrids are something that I would definitely like. I tend to enjoy a mattress that is medium but supportive in terms of firmness, I guess that would be the best way to describe it. I don’t like to sink deep in the mattress, I like a little give, but not enough to feel like my lower body is sinking below the rest. From trying out the three mattresses listed above I came to the conclusion that the Snowmass was too plush, I though I sank in too deep. The Aspen was a bit firmer, and more towards my liking, but maybe a bit on the firm side. The Telluride, to me, seemed a bit firmer than the Snowmass, and I mean just a bit, I wish it was a touch firmer. So if I was to pick a mattress at Denver it would be the Aspen or Telluride. The Telluride seemed to be of better quality though, from looking at the ones on the showroom floor.

I’m just trying to get an idea of how these mattresses compare in terms of quality and firmness to the other companies I’ve been considering (Brooklyn Bedding, Parklane, SleepEZ). These companies are a few that I’ve come across while searching the forums. They seem to be reputable and people have great things to say about them. Brooklyn Bedding has two mattresses that I’m interested in, The Bamboo Bliss and The Aloe Alexis. They seem to have essentially the same construction, and I’m just curious if it would be worth spend the extra $200 for 6 inches of latex, compared to 3 inches. Will it offer any durability benefits in the long run? Will it offer any additional comfort or adjustability (could i customize both layers)? Looking at the specs of the mattresses from Denver Mattress Co, which comfort level of Brooklyn Bedding would be closest to something around the Aspen or Telluride? I also wanted to know what you thought about their Omalon foam core? I didn’t seem much info on their website.

Looking at Parklane I’ve come across the Crestwood and Arcadia. Both latex hybrids with offset coils, so I assume they’ll feel similar to the Telluride at Denver Mattress Co. My main question is how will a layer of memory foam, in the Arcadia, effect the feel of a latex hybrid? They are both listed as a ‘medium’ in terms of firmness, but will the layer of memory foam make the Arcadia feel a touch firmer? Looking at the specs, is it possible to tell how much firmer, if at all, these mattresses will be compared to the Telluride?

From SleepEZ, I saw their 14" Euro Top Hybrid (I think that’s the right one, their website confused me). They don’t give much information about their foam core. I was wondering if anyone knew a bit more about this mattress? It seems very similar to the mattresses at Brooklyn Bedding. Is there any benefit to picking one over the other? I was also looking at their Eurotop Pillowtop, which is 3 inches of latex over coils. The website doesn’t give much info on this mattress either. I was wondering if anyone knew a bit more about this mattress and the quality of materials used.

Additional Info: I’m a 5’10 male, 175lbs, a side/stomach sleeper. 80% side, 20% stomach. My current mattress is the main culprit for my low-mid back pain. Yoga seems to help relieve the pain.

Thanks for the help, I’ll be browsing around all day if you need any more information.

Hi Bobross35,

There are a couple of factory direct manufacturers close to you listed in post #4 here but the only one that makes latex mattresses in the immediate area is the one you’ve visited. There are more options linked there towards Lafayette and Indianapolis, Chicago, and Toledo if you are willing to make the drive.

This goes to show how different people can have very different perceptions of the same mattress. The Snowmass is actually “rated” as being firmer than the Aspen but there are different “types” of softness that people may be sensitive to which means they would rate the same mattress very differently from someone else. The Telluride is an innersping/polyfoam/latex hybrid, the Snowmass is closer to an “all latex” mattress (it’s mostly latex with only 2" of polyfoam on the bottom as a stabilization layer and in inch of polyfoam on top with 8" of talalay in between) while the Aspen is part way between “all latex” and a more typical latex hybrid which normally uses latex in only the comfort layers instead of the comfort and middle transition layers. The Aspen would have similarities in design and latex content to the Brooklyn Bedding Aloe Alexis which also has 6" of latex in the comfort and transition layers (although the Aloe Alexis uses higher quality components and foams besides the latex). The Telluride is a completely different style completely and with 2.5" of polyfoam and only 2" of latex you are sleeping more on polyfoam than latex although the “feel” would be a combination of all the components.

The Telluride would be the lowest quality of these in terms of durability because of the higher polyfoam content in the comfort layers (the weak link of most mattresses) and because most innersprings are not as durable as latex (although neither type of support system would likely be the weak link of a mattress).

Post #2 here talks about trying to “match” one mattress to another in terms of comfort or support (rather than the quality of the materials) and as you can see the only way to really do this is either through side by side comparisons in “real time” or by matching the specs to each other as closely as possible (and because all of these have differences in the layering and you don’t know the “comfort specs” of the ones at Denver Mattress this wouldn’t be possible). In practical terms … “mattress matching” outside of direct personal comparisons or exact duplication of materials and design isn’t really possible. there are too many variables in terms of how small changes in materials, layering, or components can make a significant difference in the feel and performance of a mattress … to different degrees for different people.

In general it’s best to match every mattress you test to a set of common “ratings” rather than to each other or using one as a 'standard".

In terms of quality/value … it’s a matter of matching the layering of each mattress you are considering and also adding all the other “value components” that are part of any mattress purchase. As you can see in post #46 here about making meaningful comparisons … this involves all the objective, subjective, and intangible factors which are part of each person’s “value equation”.

My goal is to help people narrow down their choices to the point where all the “worse” choices have been eliminated so that they are comparing “good to good”. Once they’ve done this then personal preferences and a more detailed conversation with each manufacturer or retailer on the phone or in person is the only practical way to decide between them. At this point though it’s difficult to make a 'mistake" in terms of quality or value and the only “risk” is making a choice that doesn’t match your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences).

You can read a bit more about the differences between an all latex mattress and a latex/polyfoam hybrid here. You can also read more about the many factors that are involved in the durability of a mattress here. As you can see … the closer to the body a layer is the more it will be subjected to mechanical and other stresses and the more important the durability of the material becomes. Latex in the middle layer will have a bigger beneficial effect on durability in other words than latex in a bottom layer even though any layer can affect the performance and feel of the mattress. so having the extra 3" of latex will have some effect on durability (latex is more durable than even high quality polyfoam) but it will have a bigger effect on performance.

The best source for comfort choices is the manufacturers themselves who are the “experts” in all the details and components of the mattresses they make and sell. The more feedback and information you can provide them about your own needs and preferences and local testing (if you know the details of the mattresses you have tested) the more you can help them to help you make the best possible choices.

Omalon is a high quality polyfoam made by Carpenter but you would need to know the density to make any meaningful comparisons with other foams.

The material or component only determines the quality and durability. Every material or component comes in a wide range of softness and firmness levels and has different types of response to weight and pressure so mattresses that have the same type of materials or components or even the same layering may use very different firmness levels of the same materials or components so one mattress could be very firm and another very soft even if the materials are the same.

Memory foam as a material can make a matttress feel either softer or firmer depending on how people perceive it, it’s response to temperature, humidity, and time, and on the specific type and density of memory foam and the layering of the mattress. Again the type of material by itself doesn’t determine firmness or softness.

SleepEz doesn’t have a mattress like this … but I think you may be getting too technical and trying to predict how a mattress may feel to you based on specs alone and this is not really possible. It’s much more effective to have a more extended conversation with each manufacturer along with testing as many different combinations as you can so you have a reference point of how they feel to you. Post #8 here may also be helpful.

There is lots of reading in the posts I’ve linked … but in the end connecting to the “experts” and talking to them along with your own personal testing is the most effective approach. This way you don’t have to learn what they already know and “become the expert” yourself.

Phoenix

Thanks for the help,

While I was searching to replace my mattress my parents decided to replace theirs as well. I told them about some of the companies I’ve been researching and they ending up buying an Ultimate Dreams Eurotop in King size split between a level 5 and 6. I figured to wait on making a purchase until their mattress arrived so I could see how it felt. Well, the mattress came a few days ago and I just got to see it yesterday. The quality seems great for the price they paid, I wasn’t expecting it to be that nice. The firmness levels were a bit hard to differentiate at first, but after a while it was easy to tell which side was the 5 and which was the 6. At first I enjoyed the 5 more because it was a bit on the firmer side and didn’t allow me to sink very deep, which i don’t like. After a while I realized that I preferred the 6, it was still on the firmer side of medium but with more give. It actually felt like what the level 5 description says “cushion firm”. Both sides seem to give me great support, but the 6 gives me more cushion with that support. Overall, it seems like a great mattress and i’ll either be buying the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop or one of the others from Brooklyn Bedding, possible the Bamboo Bliss or Aloe Alexis.