Latex hybrids with zip covers

Hello,

I am looking for new mattresses for my wife and I (two twinXL for a split king adjustable setup), and I think I am feeling best about a hybrid setup with natural latex in the top. This should be closer to a typical mattress feel (weā€™ve never slept on all-foam) and I think it will work well for wifeā€™s sleep (5ā€™9", appx 210lb, side sleeper). If that sounds like the wrong setup to go with, feel free to say so and what your concern would be. (Mainly concerned with getting best setup for her, as I am somewhat of a ā€˜can sleep on anythingā€™ type ā€“ whatever works for her should be fine for me, maybe in a notch firmer.)

My question then, given the above, is what natural latex hybrid options are out there from reputable builders that include a zipped cover (where latex layer could be changed out if necessary). I know there is the option of full DIY, but I donā€™t know if I am comfortable with that. Also I know of the hybrid from Ken and Arizona Premium, which is perhaps my leading choice right now. I just would like to know if there is anything else similar in nature that I should be looking at for comparison.

Any help or direction is appreciated, thanks!

Hi GoBuccos.

It looks like you did quite a bit of legwork already! :frowning:
Itā€™s great that you zoomed in on the type of mattress and the feel your wife likes. You are going in the right direction with your mattress selection on a few counts. As your wife is in the higher weight range with a BMI of 31 kg/m[sup]2.[/sup] sheā€™d need more durable materials especially in the comfort and transition layers than a normal BMI range individual would need.

1 ~ Latex is the most durable of all types of foams but the layer softness and thickness are important factors as well. Post #3 here~ has more information and suggestions about heavier weights and the topic aboutmattresses for a heavier person are worth reading.

2 ~ The zippered cover is also a good choice since heavier people or people with heavier ā€œareasā€ or who are more ā€œactiveā€ on a mattress will wear out materials faster than lighter, more evenly proportioned, or less active people so higher density foams than just the ā€œminimumā€ guidelines can be more important. A zippered cover will allow changing the top comfort layer should it start to break down or should your wife desire to exchange the comfort choice.

3 ~ The ā€œweakest linkā€ in a mattress in terms of durability is normally in the upper layers (the top 3" - 6" of the mattress) that are compressed more deeply when under the weight of the sleeper and not generally in the deeper support layers so the firmer bottom layers of a mattress will have more effect on feel and performance than they will on durability for most people.
Higher BMI will wear out faster than a latex comfort layer in lower ILD (soft or X-soft choices) because there is a linear dependency between latex ILD/softness and its density. For example. 100% NR latex from Talalay Global of 14 ILD (X-soft) has 2.5 lbs/ft[sup]3[/sup] density and a 19 ILD (soft) has a density of 3.0 lbs/ft[sup]3[/sup]. Both are low densities and will wear out faster for heavier sleepers than for light ones.

The ā€œunknownsā€ in your mattress puzzle are the mattress thickness and the comfort choice which are interdependent. Heavier weights would benefit from a thicker mattress because it can be more adaptable and for multiple sleeping positions. It will compress from softer to firmer more gradually which means that there is more ā€œrangeā€ of compression without the mattress becoming too firm for heavier weights (or parts of the body). A thicker mattress can also be part of a specific design that requires it such as some types of zoning or layering that needs more layers to accomplish the design goal of the mattress. (It can even just be a matter of preference rather than ā€œneedā€}.

There is also more about primary or ā€œdeepā€ support and secondary or ā€œsurfaceā€ support and their relationship to the firmness and pressure relief and the ā€œrolesā€ of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between ā€œsupportā€ and ā€œpressure reliefā€ and ā€œfeelā€ that may be useful as well.

You can also see some general comments about the properties of an ā€œidealā€ mattress in post #4 here.

I agree that DIY is a more adventurous process and oftentimes it is more of a trial and error undertaking. If you donā€™t have the time, knowledge, and inclination it is best left to manufactures /retailers that have a great deal of experience with mattress construction.

[indent]
~ As you mentioned Arizona Premium Mattress has a few very good options and Ken can customize your selection for your wife. needs and preferences.
~ Mattress Makers offers component-style beds (zippered covers) like the url= https://mattressmakers.com/product/del-mar-medium/ Del Mar mattress[/url], I suggest you give them a call to get their recommendation for a mattress that matches your wifeā€™s needs.
~ Nest Bedding has quite a few lines with zippered covers,.but the url=https://nestbedding.uxsi.net/P0mxZz Owl Natural Latex Hybrid Mattress [/url] seems to fit the bill.
~ Also Spindle has (10") all latex modular with a zippered cover that you may want to consider.[/indent]

These are just a few options I came across, but you may want to peruse some more of our Trusted members for other choices.

Phoenix