Latex ILD configuration based on weight

Phoenix,

This has been said enough but I must say it again, thank you for the hard work and dedication. Now onto the question.

I had a latex bed approximately 5 years ago and would like to go back to it. However, my girl is 5;4" 110lbs and i am 5’11" 170lbs. I am unsure as to how to configure it, we are both primarily side sleepers. I am concerned after reading a lot on this site that a TOTAL LATEX bed from Dream Foam may be over kill based on her weight. If it is not, I have no idea which way to configure it. We generally like a softer bed, but not too soft. Should the Base Latex be a firmer material? Chances are we wouldnt even feel that bottom layer which has me thinking perhaps their 3" Ultimate Dreams latex mattress with foam base would suffice? Or even the Aloe Alexis a better choice? Just getting a bit confused. If her weight is so low would the aloe alexis/total latex be overkill? If not, what ILD’s are best for someone who wants that luxury firm feeling for all the layers involved at her weight?

Yikes, I know you’ve answered many iterations of this question but i couldnt find one as particular as my needs. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you

Hi BedNeeder,

There is more information in the first part of post #2 here about some of the different ways that can be used to accommodate a couple that have very different body types or different needs and preferences in a mattress that may be helpful. If you are looking at a king size then it may be worth considering a split firmness mattress that has different firmness levels on each side (see post #2 here).

There is more about the differences between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #2 here. Every layer and component in a mattress will have some effect on the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” although you are correct that the deeper layers of a mattress will have a less obvious effect on what you feel when you lie on a mattress (although they can still affect how you feel when you wake up in the morning) and lighter body weights may also not notice differences in the deeper layers as much as heavier body weights.

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for both of you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (such as Dreamfoam) who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept well on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I should have specified, it is primarily for her so I’m looking for a bed that is best for a 5’4" 110lb female. She has large hips and doesnt want to “sink in” too much as she does in my memory foam mattress. The major concern I have is, at this weight, would the ultimate dreams latex/foam mattress suffice? I understand from a materials standpoint total latex is superior, but lets be honest, is this needed for someone of this size? We’ve tried comparable beds but with springs not foam bases (airlooms/klufts with 20 to 40% latex tops which felt great). . Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi BedNeeder,

The previous post I linked has more information about the best ways to choose a mattress that would be the most suitable choice for her in terms of PPP.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well she will sleep), durability (how long she will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Unfortunately it’s not possible for me to make specific suggestions or recommendations for someone else or about which combination of materials or firmness levels will work best for her because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that she is the only one that can feel what she feels on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for her in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” for her based on specs (either hers or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than her own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or her own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (such as Dreamfoam) who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for here based on the information you provide them, any local testing she has done or mattresses she has slept well on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations she may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to her. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Phoenix