Latex in Kansas City - Hawn Bedding? Or buy online?

I live in Kansas City, Missouri. We have a local manufacturer called Hawn Bedding. The company is not a member of Mattress Underground, but they do sell latex mattresses.

I’m just beginning to do research, so I have a lot to learn. About us: One is 6’2" and 200 pounds, and the other is 5’9" and 150 pounds. We both sleep on our sides.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with Hawn?

2. I notice that some online companies sell latex mattresses with foundations, but Hawn likes to sell them with boxsprings. Do high-quality latex mattresses perform better with foundations or boxsprings?

3. How do I choose amount of firmness if I buy online?

Thank you for your help, and for this site.

Hi Quixotic Chick,

Hawn Bedding is one of the local manufacturers I would certainly consider if I was in the Kansas City area (see post #2 here).

This thread also has some comments about them.

There are many manufacturers who make a thinner (usually with around a 6" latex core) two sided latex mattress and use an “active” box spring underneath them which is an active part of the design and the “feel and performance” of the mattress. If a mattress was thicker it would detract from the effect of the box spring but with a thinner latex mattress they can allow for the use of a thinner and sometimes firmer mattress which has some “give” underneath it. Of course your own personal testing would be the best way to see if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP but if you test a mattress with an “active” support system underneath it (either an innerspring or flexible slats) then it should be purchased as a set. Other manufacturers make a one sided mattress which tend to use thicker comfort layers with a firmer core. There is no better or worse between them … they are just different designs (just like some people may prefer the feel and performance of a latex/innerspring hybrid).

See mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here but in general it would be a combination of your own local testing that you could use as a reference point along with more detailed conversations with the manufacturer or retailer of the mattress who can help you make the choice that would have the highest odds of success for someone with your body type, sleeping style, and preferences.

Phoenix

Very helpful. Thank you. Will try a couple of the local places mentioned, and report back what we find.