Latex International seeks bankruptcy protection and suffers another fire!

I was about to pull the trigger on the 12" Urban Green All natural latex mattress from Foam Sweet Foam, which uses Latex International’s natural latex, and comes with a 30 year non-prorated warranty. I’m a little concerned about the stability of Latex International, with their long history of fires, and now seeking bankruptcy protection, how will this affect companies like Foam Sweet Foam, when it comes to their warranties?

Shelton firefighters are on the scene at the Latex Foam Products Co. on River Road, doing overhaul after putting out a fire — the second in four days – in an oven unit.

The Monroe and Trumbull Nichols Fire Departments and an engine company from Derby manned Shelton firehouses under a mutual aid agreement when the fire broke out shortly before 10:30 a.m.

The latest fire was declared out at 11, but units are remaining on the scene and an investigation into the cause has begun, officials said.

A more serious fire on Thursday morning ripped through the factory, causing heavy damage. The fire comes at a difficult time for the company that has filed for bankruptcy protection. Thirteen years ago, a fire destroyed its sprawling factory in downtown Ansonia.

Fires and the latex foam company have a long history.

The company was started by former employees from the Sponge Rubber Products Co. that was destroyed by the spectacular arson fire on March 1, 1975. Thousands of people in the Valley lost their jobs because of the plant’s destruction.

In 1985, Latex foam relocated to Ansonia. Then, in 2001, that downtown Ansonia plant was also destroyed in a massive fire.

In 2002, Latex International relocated to a 208,000-square-foot facility at 510 River Road in Shelton. Some eyebrows were raised a year later when Mayor Mark Lauretti bought an adjacent parcel to the latex factory that was formerly owned by Emhart Properties. Lauretti, who was also serving as Shelton’s economic development director, bought the land for $325,000 and later sold it 10 years later to a condominium developer for $1.9 million. Ethics complaints filed against Lauretti were denied.

Earlier this month, the Latex International filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. On June 4, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Bridgeport granted all four first-day motions proposed by Latex Foam International Holdings as the company seeks Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Its subsidiary businesses, including Latex International and Pure LatexBLISS, are part of the filing.

The goal of the bankruptcy is to continue operations and producing its Talalay Latex, said James Berman, a partner in the Bridgeport law firm of Zeisler & Zeisler, which is representing the company.

An ad in Thursday’s Connecticut Post announced a planned auction of the company’s property and assets.
http://blog.ctnews.com/connecticutpostings/2014/06/30/another-fire-reported-at-latex-foam/

Hi gme109,

The Latex International chapter 11 and their fire happened some time ago and there is more information about both of them in this topic and in this topic. The damage from the fire has been repaired and any backlog that it caused has now been caught up.

While it’s very unlikely that one of the only two Talalay latex manufacturers in the western world will go out of business … even if they did it shouldn’t have an effect on a warranty claim with companies such as FSF or others that use their latex because there are other sources of Talalay latex as well.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=45455]Hi gme109,

The Latex International chapter 11 and their fire happened some time ago and there is more information about both of them in this topic and in this topic. The damage from the fire has been repaired and any backlog that it caused has now been caught up.

While it’s very unlikely that one of the only two Talalay latex manufacturers in the western world will go out of business … even if they did it shouldn’t have an effect on a warranty claim with companies such as FSF or others that use their latex because there are other sources of Talalay latex as well.

Phoenix[/quote]

Sorry, I didn’t realize this topic had already been discussed here. I just found out about the chapter 11 filing the other day.

Out of concern, I started looking at some other options for latex mattresses. and came across a process that was new to me, called Continues Processing, which I guess is a variation of the Dunlop process, but instead of using a mold, it’s poured on a moving conveyor. Had a chance to demo the Wazee St. 12" all natural latex mattress locally here in Denver at SleepNation. I found the feel of the mattress very similar to talalay mattresses from PureBliss. Being that I’m quite familiar with the feel of talalay, which is what I’ve been sleeping on for the past 12 years, I decided to start my search, looking for a talalay replacement. But now I’m wondering about latex made with the Continues pour process. Are there any major drawbacks to this process, compared to talalay, in terms of durability, resisting body impressions, or supportiveness?

Btw, thanks for the great website, and support!

Hi gme109,

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here including some information about the continuous pour process that is used by both Latexco and Mountaintop foam. There is also a little more about continuous pour Dunlop in post #3 here and the posts it links to. Like all versions of latex … it is a high quality and very durable material. The continuous pour process can be made in a similar firmness level to the softest Talalay and can have a more even consistency in terms of ILD from top to bottom and across the surface of the layer and it would be somewhat “in between” Talalay and Dunlop although closer to Dunlop in terms of “feel” and resiliency.

Phoenix