Latex Layer Thickness

Hi All,

I am looking into purchasing a all latex mattress from Flexus Comfort and had a question as to whether there is any benefit in going for the 13inch over the 10inch? Construction on the 10inch would be (in 3 inch increments) Dunlop Firm, Dunlop Firm, Talalay Soft and the construction of the 13inch would be Firm,Firm, *Medium Dunlop, Soft. Does the additional 3inch of Medium dunlop provide any real benefit, whether it be support of comfort, or would the 10inch suffice. I am a fair bit heavier than my wife (I’m about 230), so my assumption is that it would provide more of a comfort layer for me, but I have no real idea hence my question here.
Also, we are looking into getting an adjustable bed frame, so I was wondering whether the 13 inch would be too think to conform to the movement of the bed frame. Any assistance into either of these queries would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!

Hi Cue,

An extra layer (or any change in the design of a mattress) would certainly change the feel and performance of the mattress but for some people that are in much higher weight ranges (getting closer to about 300 lbs) a thicker mattress may be more “necessary” and for others it may be more of a “preference” depending on which mattress design would be the best “match” for them in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). There is more about the effects of thickness in post #14 here and more about the pros and cons of having more layers that can be rearranged or exchanged in post #2 here.

When you can’t test a mattress in person for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then your best source of guidance about which of the options they have available would likely be the best choice for you would be a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer or retailer who sells it. They will know more about their own mattresses and “matching” their mattresses to different body types and sleeping positions than anyone else and can help “talk you through” the options they have available that would have the best chance of success (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

[quote]Also, we are looking into getting an adjustable bed frame, so I was wondering whether the 13 inch would be too think to conform to the movement of the bed frame. Any assistance into either of these queries would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!! [/quote]

Latex is very elastic and flexible so a mattress with 12" of latex would generally be fine on an adjustable bed although thicker mattresses won’t conform to an adjustable bed quite as “exactly” as a thinner mattress.

There is also more about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to.

Phoenix