Latex layering 120 lbs, ,5'2" senior female,

I sleep mainly on my back, because my hips burn when I sleep on my side… What latex layering would allow me to sleep best on either side or back.?

Hi Dakota,

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for once you actually sleep on your mattress.

In general the most reliable way to choose a mattress or a combination of layers that works best for you will be based on your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) and personal experience but when you can’t test a mattress in person before a purchase then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thank you for answering. I have read everything on here and just got so confused. Right now I have a unique situation. I am having surgery] this week for a torn patellar tendon and I understand the recovery will be prolonged… A little background.: In the 60’s and 70’s we had only latex mattresses from Sears and they were wonderful. I am 40 years older and am now sleeping on latex from one of those manufacturers that you DON"T recommend. I need something better and I need it soon., and obviously I can’t do any shoppng now. Any suggestions? I can order from a company that will let me return layers if necessary. I did talk with one of your recommeded companies, but the sales person was not very helpful. I’m lost…

Hi Dakota,

As you (hopefully) know from reading the tutorial I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or materials because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

When you can’t test mattresses in person then once you have decided on the types of mattresses you are most interested in then the only alternative to local testing is to talk with online manufacturers/retailers on the phone and in this case the options you have after a purchase to return or exchange a mattress or individual layers (just in case your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for) would likely become a more important part of your personal value equation.

I can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer any specific questions you may have along the way that I am able to help with, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, material, or manufacturer/retailer is the best match for you based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I’m not clear on which step you are “stuck” in the process but if you have a specific question I would certainly be happy to help.

Phoenix