Latex Layering Questions

Hi Manimal,

Thanks for taking the time to add all the additional comments about your testing and experience … I appreciate all of them once again :slight_smile:

You’re certainly not the first to notice the difference that a softer layer on the bottom of a mattress can make a significant difference in how it feels. Most people that have tried one of the PLB mattresses on their latex foundation (which has 4" of 19 ILD latex) will tell you that the difference is very noticeable. Another forum member jkozlow3 also did some experimentation with softer layers on the bottom and in their case this was their strong preference no matter what the layering was on top of it (see their comments in point #6 here). The deeper layers will make much less difference in terms of PPP if they are similar or firmer than the layers above them but if they are softer than the layers above them then the upper layers will still “bend in” to the softer layers and the difference will be much more noticeable. This is what I refer to as “sinking down” (with the softer bottom layer) vs “sinking in” (with softer upper layers). For some people this would be an improvement in terms of PPP and for others like yourself this may be detrimental.

I would completely agree with your comments here and there are even some people that do very well with comfort layers that are even firmer than 32 ILD. With a 3" comfort layer and then a firmer support core underneath it and given your experience with additional 2" layers you are probably at the point where 1" layers either over or under the top layer or differences in the cover would be the way to do any additional fine tuning that would change the “feel” with less effect on the supportive properties of the mattress. Changing layer thickness can have just as significant of an effect as changing layer softness to achieve the final outcome you are looking for.

Thanks for the feedback about their cover as well. Your comments are similar to other forum members that have also purchased it and liked it a great deal as well.

My general approach would be to work from the “bottom up” so if the 3" of 32 ILD on top of 6" of 36 ILD is “very close” then it may just be a matter of adding another inch on top for some of the additional softness, “feel” and the “depth” of secondary support that you are looking for. If you do decide to go in this direction and all you need is a thicker mattress then once you have the final configuration you are looking for then adding any extra height you need may just be a matter of adding the firmest possible layer on the bottom of your mattress as a “filler” which would probably have the least effect on the mattress overall.

Having 2" of 28 on top of the 6" of 36 ILD could feel a little firmer on the surface (because you are closer to the firmer 36 ILD layer) but the additional 3" of 40 ILD latex on the bottom may be enough to compensate for this to some degree in the other direction (softer) with the extra thickness of the mattress.

You are really at the point though where there are so many moving variables and subjective perceptions involved with each different combination that would be unique to each person that “theory” would be ineffective and your own experience will really be the most reliable way to know. It’s “somewhat” simple to predict the effect of a single minor change to the design of a mattress (say one increment of firmness for a single layer or an additional inch of material) but it’s more difficult to predict the effect of two or more changes or larger changes because of how all the layers can interact differently with with each other and with different body types and sleeping positions.

The specs that are listed in post #2 here came from a reliable source and were the 2014 specs. As far as I know they have always been correct since they introduced the new lineup (although there has always been some speculation about the ILD of the layers and some of the specs that were listed around the web were probably incorrect).

It’s possible that they changed the specs for 2015 but I don’t have any information about this one way or the other.

I have certainly heard reports about inconsistency in firmness and while I know that some of them are probably “true” … I also tend to take these types of more isolated reports with a grain of salt because you will find the same complaint that “my mattress isn’t the same as the one I tried” for almost every mattress on the market.

There are many reasons that could cause this but the biggest one is that human memory for softness, firmness, and “feel” is also very short term, subjective, and relative to more recent experience and is often unreliable. A mattress that feels different to what someone “remembers” a mattress feels like may end up being more similar than they remember (or vice versa) if they were to compare them side by side in “real time”. Most people have had the experience of testing mattresses say in the morning and then testing mattresses somewhere else and then going back to test the first mattresses again later in the day and finding they feel different from what they remember because their frame of reference has changed with the other mattresses they have tested. This in combination with the fact that many consumers don’t spend enough time on a mattress to really be able to predict what it will feel like when they actually sleep on it once they have fully relaxed (like they would be when they are going to sleep at night) leads to most of the “inconsistent” reviews that you will see.

Some of the other reasons for these types of reports (outside of the mattress actually being different which is also possible) would include that most testing in a showroom is on a bare mattress and a mattress protector, mattress pad, or even sheets can make a difference in how a mattress feels at home compared to how it felt in a showroom.

The foundation under a mattress can also make a significant difference and if someone is using a foundation that is different from the one in the store this can make a significant difference as well. The PLB foundation itself could also be part of the issue and there are many retailers that won’t sell it because of the wide spacing between the slats that could also cause issues either initially or over a relatively short period of time.

None of this is not to discount the fact that there could be some “real” consistency issues from time to time but these would be less common than the other reasons for these types of reviews and reports.

Phoenix