latex layering

Hi Phoenix and other mattress seekers,
Visited a nice place today where the man only sells pure latex mattresses with either talalay or dunlop construction. He recommends talalay, but sells mostly dunlop because it is quite a bit cheaper. He recommends that
both sleepers have their own arrangements of layers in a queen or king. My husband really doesn’t care. At my size I would need all three layers, but he only had three combinations of ILD- soft, medium, firm to try so I couldn’t really make a decision as they all felt so much better than my bed. I think I like a soft layer on top.

The mattresses and zip cover come in three boxes and you arrange them in the zip cover. If you have both sides different you would get six half mattresses and be free to arrange them any way you want. If you want to change one or more they will do that for you in the first 90 days and charge for shipping.

This was Rhinetec in Columbia. My husband wants to drop everything and get it ordered tomorrow, but I don’t know what to order.
If I just got 2 of each I could play around with them at home till I got it right. You can mix and match the talalay and Dunlop too.
I think this is someone I can trust and with my chemical sensitivities this is the kind of mattress I need to have.
Has anyone else heard of selling mattresses this way, or is he unique? It kind of makes sense, depending on how hard it is to get those things into the cover.

Wheezer

Hi wheezer,

I would go slowly here and I hope you read the description in the DC list and plan on making some good value comparisons.

[quote]My husband wants to drop everything and get it ordered tomorrow, but I don’t know what to order.
If I just got 2 of each I could play around with them at home till I got it right. You can mix and match the talalay and Dunlop too.
I think this is someone I can trust and with my chemical sensitivities this is the kind of mattress I need to have.
Has anyone else heard of selling mattresses this way, or is he unique? It kind of makes sense, depending on how hard it is to get those things into the cover.[/quote]

Have you read post #1 here? It includes suggestions on how to test a mattress (which is how you should choose which design is best for you). It also links to a list of some of the members here that sell latex mattresses online where you can choose your own designs that may be significantly less than what you are looking at. Of course the significant premium may be worthwhile to you depending on how important it is that you can test the specific layers beforehand rather than in your home but the materials and in some cases the type of layering would be the same. It depends on what are the most important parts of your own personal value equation.

This type of layering (or similar) with a zip cover where you can change or re-arrange the layers is quite common with latex mattresses and as the description mentions … Savvy Rest is good quality but not in the “best value” range for this type of mattress.

Phoenix