Latex Mattress Advice

Have spent time looking through the forum, would like to see if anyone has specific thoughts on our situation:

Wife and I are looking at getting a new latex bed. I am ~300 lbs, 6’1, she is ~110lbs, ~5’5. Given that disparity, we are leaning towards an option with split mattresses for each of us. My wife prefers a softer mattress, I prefer a medium to firm. Based on that, have been leaving towards either mattresses.net or SleepEZ.

From mattresses.net, we would likely get the King All Natural Talalay, likely in medium or soft on her side and firm on mine. From SleepEZ, would likely get the 13,000 and do something like ExtraFirm-Firm/Firm-Medium/Medium (or Firm Again)-Soft/Medium (or Soft)-Soft. Would welcome any thoughts on these designs, as well as thoughts on organic latex vs. natural latex at SleepEZ. Obviously all else equal, would prefer the mattresses.net options a cheaper, but worried that may not work as well for me in particular.

In either case, leaning towards getting a wood foundation from the company we order the mattress from, would be also interested in any thoughts on that.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Hi attavan,

Both of the manufacturers you are mentioning use high quality materials and are great value but the choosing the specific design that is most suitable for you is always best left to either your own personal testing on similar mattresses that may be available locally or to more detailed discussions with each manufacturer. Post #2 here has more about making comfort choices and has some links to some of the 'theory" involved but the actual manufacturers know more about their own designs and materials than anyone and outside of your own personal testing are in the best position to help you make the most suitable comfort choices.

You can read a little more about some of the options that can help accommodate weight differences in the first part of post #2 here.

You can also read a little more about some of the potential benefits of a thicker mattress for higher weights in post #14 here.

Post #2 here may also be of interest.

Heavier weights will of course tend to sink in more deeply into any material and firmer comfort layers will feel softer because of this than they would for lighter weights so your “medium to firm” would likely “feel” similar to you than a softer layer would feel to your wife. Of course firmer support layers would also do a better job of “stopping” the heavier parts of your body from sinking in too far and help maintain neutral alignment for your spine in all your sleeping positions.

I would tend to just “scan” the information linked in the previous posts and use it as a reference so you can have more meaningful discussions with each manufacturer rather than “study” it or use it to try and design your own mattress based on “theory” which can quickly lead to “information overload”

Phoenix