latex mattress - almost there!

final help needed. just back from Quality Sleep Shop outside of chicago. most comfortable latex mattress i have so far found (other than Essentia Dormeuse, which no one can figure out the formula), was 7" Simple Sleep King size latex. (Dunlop 32-36 ILD) with a topper & cover in 3" Talalay 24ILD/soft…However, the price comes to $2668 with tax, about $600 over my budget! …any idea of whether it might be a good idea to contact sleep EZ or flexus and see if they could offer better price? the two pieces were $1349 for the 7" mattress BUT $1099 for the 3" talalay King topper with its own cover, like a pillow top - BUT this price seemed very high… on the other hand, it is set to go, no setting up individual layers…any thoughts? direction?

Hi smichaels,

The Essentia Dormeuse uses a 2" layer of 6.25 lb memory foam on top of a 2" layer of 5.25 lb memory foam on top of a 4" layer of 100% natural Dunlop latex. Basically it uses memory foam comfort layers on top of a latex support core and memory foam is a very different material that feels and performs very differently from latex. There is more about some of the general differences between latex and memory foam in post #2 here.

There are certainly other 3" Talalay latex toppers available in a similar firmness level and in a lower price range but they don’t list the topper you mentioned on their site and I don’t know the specifics of the topper including the type of cover or whether the cover is quilted with wool on one or both sides of the topper which of course would make a significant difference in the cost and on which other toppers would be an apples to apples comparison.

Neither SleepEZ or Flexus makes exactly the same mattress although both of them have options for a 6" 100% natural Dunlop latex mattress with a wool quilted cover that would be “similar”. SleepEZ has a wool quilted Talalay latex topper here but it doesn’t mention whether the wool quilting is on one or both sides (I believe it’s one one side) and of course the amount of wool in each of them may be different as well. Flexus doesn’t list a 3" Talalay latex topper that includes a wool quilted cotton cover on their site so you would need to call them to see if they have one available.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sleepez.com/products/organic-wool-mattress-topper

Like all good manufacturers none of them have prices that are negotiable but you are the only one that can decide which manufacturers or retailers you wish to talk with and include in your research. You are certainly looking at some great options and I think highly of all of them.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and you have confirmed that none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design relative to your weight/BMI range and you have talked with each of them and there are still no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a reasonable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on any local testing you have done, your more detailed conversations with each of the online options you are considering, your personal preferences, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress (or individual layers in some cases) and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix