latex mattress covers, talalay top layer durability

Hello, I’m shopping for a natural latex mattress and was wondering what your thoughts were on quilted mattress covers that have cotton and wool. They seem pretty thick and I was wondering if there is a down side in terms of the thickness and using wool in them. I found at least one site (Plushbeds) that has a non-quilted cover without wool.

Secondly, and maybe this has been answered elsewhere, are there any major concerns in terms of durability for a 2" comfort layer of natural talalay? I know you said that talalay is a little less durable – would it be better to stick to natural Dunlop even in the top layer?

Thanks much.

Bruce

Hi latexA,

There is more about the pros and cons of a wool quilted cover vs a stretch knit cover in post #6 here.

While 100% natural Talalay can be less durable than blended Talalay in the lower ILD’s … I would treat any version of latex that is in a suitable firmness/softness level for your body type and sleeping positions as being a very durable choice.

The choice between Talalay and Dunlop would be a preference choice not a “better/worse” choice. There is more about the differences between them in post #7 here but the most reliable way to know which type of latex you tend to prefer would be based on your own personal testing or experience. If you tend to prefer the feel of Talalay and you are in any way concerned about the the possibility of 100% natural being less durable (relative to blended Talalay not to other types of foam) then I would probably choose blended Talalay instead.

Phoenix

Thanks for the helpful information Phoenix.

I have only one other concern, and I’m thinking this may not be an easy one to answer specifically, but here goes. I’m about 200 lbs., 6’ tall, and sleep on both my back and sides. I have some lower back discomfort, so in general I think I would be looking for a surface that is more supportive as long as it would accommodate sleeping on my sides part of the time. I read in a link you provided that Talalay and Dunlop are about 4 - 5 ILD apart, and since I’m ordering a mattress over the internet, can you give me a ballpark idea of what kind of ILDs I should be looking for? I’m not sure which type of latex I will get at this point, as I’m considering a few different mattresses from sellers that are members here. (By the way, I am using a six year old Tempurpedic Advantage Mattress right now, which sleeps hot, but was wonderful for the first couple years until it softened slowly to the point that it has been offering little support or comfort lately.)

Thank you again!

Hi latexA,

Only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to make specific recommendations or suggest a specific mattress or combination of layers or materials based on specs (either yours or a mattress), health conditions, individual circumstances, or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specific options they have available based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Hello again Phoenix,

I did some more research online on this site and elsewhere, and looked more extensively into some websites (mostly members here) that sell latex mattresses. Then I narrowed the list of companies down to 3 that had the best options for me in terms of the kind of latex mattress I was looking for, price, quality, etc. As per your general advice, I then called each of the companies with the mattress I was interested in and asked questions, and got advice and guidance on what configurations and products would work best for me.

The three companies I called were Sleep EZ, Flexus Comfort Mattress Company, and Arizona Premium Mattress Co. Although I can’t speak in terms of personal experience yet as I haven’t slept on any of their mattresses, all three of them make great products at very reasonable prices. The people I talked to at all three companies were knowledgeable, very willing to answer the questions I had, and seemed genuinely interested in giving me the best couple of options for my particular situation. None of them tried to pressure me into buying anything at all.

I ended up ordering a 100% natural 6" Dunlop/ 3" Talalay mattress from Arizona Premium. It has a pre-compressed wool and organic cotton cover, quilted but having a thinner type of profile. The price was great at well under $1000. I’m pretty sure I’m going to love it, but it takes them awhile to make the mattress and get it to me (I was told about 3 1/2 weeks), so I’ll follow up with another post a little farther down the road!

Hi latexA,

You were certainly considering some very good options and had a list of finalists that were all choices between “good and good” which is always a sign of some good research.

As you know I think very highly of Arizona Premium and they certainly make some high quality/value latex mattresses and I think you made a great “final choice”.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I received my mattress from Arizona Premium on Thursday (4/23). They said it would be delivered at the 3 1/2 week mark when I placed my order, but I ended up sending an email to inquire when it hadn’t been sent out for delivery at about 4 1/2 weeks. They quickly sent out the mattress and I got tracking information the same afternoon, which was good.
I’ve slept on the mattress only two nights, but my initial impression is that it’s a comfortable mattress, and importantly, my lower back pain from sleeping on a broken down Tempurpedic has disappeared :). The only thing I notice is that the mattress seems very firm, firmer than I had expected. I ordered a 3" 28 ILD Talalay top layer instead of the standard 2" 22 ILD one, because I normally prefer a firm mattress and I was looking for maximum support for my back. This one seems almost too firm, but it’s not to the level of being a problem. I suppose that I just need to give my body a chance to adapt to the new sleeping surface – this is the first time I’ve ever slept on latex, and I have to say it does have a unique feel to it, but one which I like overall. So far so good, apart from some excessive firmness.

Hi latexA,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about your first couple of nights on your new mattress … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

As you know it will take some time for your new mattress to break in and soften a little and for you to adjust to a different type of mattress and sleeping surface (see post #2 here) but things are looking good so far if your back pain is better.

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share once you’ve slept on it for a few weeks.

Phoenix

I have slept on my Arizona Premium Naturalux (Med. firm 6" Dunlop core, optional 3" 28 ILD Talalay top layer) for about 2 1/2 weeks now. During the first week and a half, I had some shoulder discomfort on about half the nights.when I slept on my sides, which seemed to be because the mattress was too firm and did not ‘give’ enough. From the beginning, though, the mattress was excellent for back sleeping and eliminated any aches and pains in my back and joints, which is wonderful.

Well, I don’t know what happened, whether it was my body adjusting to the new mattress, or the mattress softening and breaking-in slightly, or maybe both of these, but I’m happy to report that for the last week I have stopped having any discomfort when I sleep on my sides. I was a little worried at first that I had ordered a mattress that was too firm, but everything seems to be working out now. Also, I really notice how much cooler this mattress sleeps than the Tempurpedic I used to have, and it’s much easier to move around during sleep and to get up off the bed, too, because of the firmness and resilience of the latex. As long as I don’t have any additional issues, which I think is very unlikely, I’m giving this mattress an “A” rating – it’s the best bed I’ve ever slept on.

From my experience, I can see that it’s very important not to panic if one is having trouble with a new bed in the first few weeks, assuming that trouble is not serious, given that the bed is high quality and the person researched into it well. As is said on this site and elsewhere, sometimes it really does take awhile to figure out what you’re really dealing with in a mattress and get zeroed in on any problems, and one must be patient enough to see if any problems will be resolved. My advice is: take your time and don’t rush, neither in the buying nor in the first few weeks after receiving a new bed.

Here’s hoping for the best of luck to all new mattress buyers!

Hi latexA,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Although it’s often surprising to many people how much difference the first few weeks can make … it’s great to hear that all you needed was for the mattress to break in a little and for your body to get used to a different sleeping surface.

Phoenix