Latex Mattress DIY Advice

We need advice. We bought a Stearns and Foster Estate Lucas Park mattress about 5 years ago. Within 6 months I could feel an indentation. However, after some spending as much money on it as we did- I carried on despite progressive pain and increased mattress sagging. Fast forward to a week ago when I asked my husband to rotate the mattress so I could sleep on his side. He lasted 4 nights on it and refused to sleep on it ever since. Now we’re in the guest room, sleeping better and waking up with less pain.

We are interested in buying a latex mattress from Sleepez. I am a side sleeper with neck and hip issues (thanks to S&F) and my husband sleeps on his stomach. I am 5’6" and 150lbs and he is 6’2" and 200lbs. He has neck and back issues.

Sleepez recommended the following configuration:

For me (from top to bottom)- soft, medium, firm.
For him (from top to bottom)- firm, firm, extra firm

As an exercise, we went to a local store to try a latex bed (zip code 37922) and we liked it. We tried the Pure Latex Bliss Pamper 8" and I liked it with at least a 2" topper. The 3 inch topper was even softer, which I liked, but my husband is concerned that it would not keep my back aligned. He preferred it without the toppers.

We are not interested in the Pure Latex Bliss mattress, but used it as a starting point for our latex mattress research. Based on the information I provided, are we going in the right direction with the Sleepez configuration? I would appreciate any advice anyone would have to offer!

Hi ZuZu,

When you are purchasing a mattress that you can’t test in person then the most reliable source of guidance will always be a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online retailer or manufacturer who will know more about their own mattresses than anyone else and are in the best position to help “talk you through” the options they have available that would have the best chance of success based on the information you provide them along with the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress and how to lower the risks involved with each of them in post #2 here but the best starting point for an online component mattress would generally be the suggestions that they provide and then if your sleeping experience indicates that it’s necessary you can further customize the mattress either by rearranging the layers or by exchanging a layer for a firmer or softer option based on your actual experience.

SleepEZ also doesn’t normally offer 14/15 ILD latex option (they can special order it but they won’t warranty it) because of the additional risks involved for most people both in terms of durability and in terms of the alignment risk with a latex layer (or any material) this soft. Of course you can always purchase a topper in this ILD range if you decide that you would like to try it but it would be a more risky choice than latex layers that are a little firmer (but still in a soft range).

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix!

This site has been incredible for information. I was a click away from ordering the Sleepez 10000 but stopped when I saw that there was a Dunlop option to the layers. After looking into the differences between the “feel” of Dunlop and the blended latex, I started to reconsider my choices.

So now with my eyes crossing, I am trying to determine if there is a difference in “feel” between the 100% Natural Talalay and the blended latex from Sleepez? Also, I was told that the 100% natural latex is not as consistent as the blended. Would this effect the way it feels when one lays on it or is simply a cosmetic issue?

For example, I saw on YouTube a cross section of a sample of dunlop and blended latex and there was inconsistencies in the small “air holes/pockets” in the dunlop piece while the blended was perfectly uniform. Does the 100% natural talalay have the same features? Do these things translate to differences in “feel?”

From what I read, in the simplest of terms, the Dunlop comes across as firmer than the blended and that it is often used as support layers. So now my next question would be blended vs. 100% Natural Talalay? Is there an overall difference in feel from one to the other?

Do you have any comments on this?
Z

Hi ZuZu,

They would be very similar in “feel” with relatively small differences between them (that many people wouldn’t notice) but there is more about the differences between blended and 100% natural Talalay in post #2 here. The blended may be a little more consistent in terms of appearance and in terms of the firmness level across the sleeping surface as well.

Talalay is often a little “cleaner” in appearance than 100% natural Dunlop and there is also more about the differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here but the choice between them is really a preference issue not a “better worse” issue and the best way to know which type of latex you tend to prefer in either your comfort or support layers would be based on your local testing or experience.

Phoenix

Well, I did it! I ordered our king size Talalay blend 10000 mattress from Sleepez. But I forgot to mention the mattress underground discount! Maybe I can call them tomorrow…

I actually found a Savvy Rest dealer locally. Unfortunately, the salesperson was more interested in the sale rather than trying to help me figure out what would work for me. She even wanted me to bring my husband back when she was working rather than when it was convenient for us. A bit annoying but I didn’t mind so much since I wasn’t planning on buying my mattress from them. I was using the experience as a try out only. I did feel a difference between the Dunlop and the Talalay and wonder if a Dunlop layer would be better for my husband who needs his side firmer. I am posing this question to Sleepez and hoping someone will call me back regarding my order.

If it weren’t for this forum I don’t know what we would have done since my husband and I have such different needs. The split mattress seems like the perfect answer so I am hopeful this will work out. I guess at this point we will have to play around with the layers - it almost seems like it is an expectation that we will need to send a layer back, so I feel more comfortable with the idea of ordering online. Further, my husband is particular about most things, so the customizability is a major draw.

I do have a question and I was hoping you could give me your opinion. When I was trying out the Savvy Rest Serenity, they had the following configuration on one side: Soft Talalay over Med Dunlop over Firm Dunlop. This was the softest configuration at the store. It felt a bit too firm for my side sleeping position. However, when I lugged the “Serenity” soft Talalay topper on top of the mattress (no sales person to help- too busy fooling around on her phone)- it made a huge difference and I thought if I had a similar configuration at home, I could work with that. From Sleepez, I ordered all Talalay blend on my side (Soft, Med, Firm). I’m wondering how this will feel in comparison. I also wonder how a similar topper with a cover would affect the firmness of the mattress. Hmm…

Thank you for all you do and we are looking forward to our new mattress!
Z

Hi ZuZu,

That would be a good idea!

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

This would be a personal preference rather than a “better worse” issue. Both can make good choices in the right firmness level for any weight range. There is more about the difference between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here.

The only way to know how any combination of layers will feel is based on your own actual experience but of course adding a soft topper to any mattress or combination of layers will make it softer. It would also be a good idea to be cautious about adding too much softness/thickess though because it can be risky for alignment. There is also more about the effect of a separate topper vs having the same layer inside the mattress in posts #3 and #4 here and in this topic.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then one of the most important parts of an online purchase is a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer so you can discuss these types of questions and they can help “talk you through” the options that would have the best chance of success (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix